Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Concealment Faux Pas

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I don't think clipped knives are much of a giveaway these days considering their ubiquity. Virtually everyone has one these days.

Combat boots and vests out of context, definitely.

Chris

Its not necessarily they everyone carrying a knife carries a gun, but I know if I see a knife clipped in your pocket I'm looking for printing. If I was a bad guy I would likely do the same.

I was once a bad guy role player on a training event for individuals going into high risk environments. I know I took down people with knives clipped in their pocket a lot harder , because that looked a sign that they be more likely to resist.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    When my son was a baby nearly three decades ago, I was rocking him in the church nursery with a pocket carried G27. I heard a clunk on the floor and there was my pistol lying on the floor next to the right side of the rocker. I scooped it up and put it back into the pocket holster. The lady in charge of the nursery saw it and just smiled.

Yup. Reminds me of the time I was playing with my daughter at the playground. I had a s&w j frame in a phlstr city special. Im chasing her around and decided to jump onto some monkey bars to get a good swing from them. I see in slow motion my j frame lift out of my holster and just float away as if it was tied to a balloon, landing about ten feet in front of me on the ground. Thankfully nobody else saw so I casually walk over and pick it up and put it back in its holster. Thats the only time anything like that has happened to me and i Just about shit myself. Mentally added Tarzan swinging to things I shouldn't do with that holster set up. One thing that experience did do for me was, now I hit any holster I get with my heat gun and add retention.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

I would also not that concealed means concealed in most applications. it does not mean invisible to the naked trained eye at 1 meter.
    That’s a great point. These days (five or so years since I picked up a gun for the first time at age 56), my wife looks critically at me as we go out the door. Sometimes I get a ‘I can see it’ especially with the G48. I know when I’ve got it situated correctly if she asks me ‘you *are* carrying, right?’

Despite the fact 99.9% of people have even the remotest idea you might be carrying, I still pay attention to holster, belt, clothing, draping etc. In two years plus of RVing, there’s not a person we ran into who was aware I had a gun on me.

Thanks @BigT for the pocket clip knife tell. I hadn’t thought of that. Lately, I’ve been wearing a khaki range-type cap w Velcro patches out and about. Maybe that’s not such a good way to blend in. I should probably get a local sports team hat or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I don't think clipped knives are much of a giveaway these days considering their ubiquity. Virtually everyone has one these days.
    It’s all locale-specific. Here in GA outside of the metro if you’re a male and you don’t have a pocket knife you’re likely to get some eyeballing as it’s unusual to not have one.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    It’s all locale-specific. Here in GA outside of the metro if you’re a male and you don’t have a pocket knife you’re likely to get some eyeballing as it’s unusual to not have one.
    I always have a clipped pocket knife. The problems I’ve run into happen when people ask to use my knife, and I either tell them no, or produce a much larger and scarier looking knife than they expected. I really need to keep a small utility folder in a pocket.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I always have a clipped pocket knife. The problems I’ve run into happen when people ask to use my knife, and I either tell them no, or produce a much larger and scarier looking knife than they expected. I really need to keep a small utility folder in a pocket.
    I have a leatherman juice(?) on my keys that has a useful set of scissors on it, which handles most of the things people want to borrow a knife for, with the bonus that they'll have to work a lot harder to hurt themselves with that than a knife. Before I started carrying AIWB I used to carry a SAK in the watch pocket of my jeans for that sort of thing.

And on the subject of concealment oopsies, I somehow managed to hook the butt of my full sized 1911 into the back of a straight chair at Cracker Barrel, and the chair came with me when I stood up. The deputy I was having lunch with got a good laugh out of it.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Its not necessarily they everyone carrying a knife carries a gun, but I know if I see a knife clipped in your pocket I'm looking for printing. If I was a bad guy I would likely do the same.

I was once a bad guy role player on a training event for individuals going into high risk environments. I know I took down people with knives clipped in their pocket a lot harder , because that looked a sign that they be more likely to resist.
    I think there might be a cultural factor at play here that doesn't translate equally between SA and the US.

Pocket knives are extremely common in the US outside of a precious few extreme-left areas. I personally would not consider the simple presence of a pocket knife in the US to be a litmus test about anyone's proclivities towards carrying a gun or resisting.

When you start adding different context clues that changes things, like whether you're looking at people going into a high threat environment, whether knives are illegal to carry in such a manner, knife + type of clothing, type of knife (I'm thinking P'kal or wave opener vs run of the mill pocket knives), behavioral traits, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Clusterfrack be like:

Name:  CrocodileDundee.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  8.3 KB
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

When I'm in a conversation or otherwise distracted and one of my daughters runs up to give me a hug and hits their face on a Glock grip. I've had to say "oh no you bumped into my belt buckle" before when in an NPE.
    They have learned not to do this for the most part, but it really teaches me to keep up my awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Clusterfrack be like:

Name:  CrocodileDundee.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  8.3 KB
    "Now this is a knife."
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List