Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on 2-Gun Carry

Some Pre-Caffeinated Thoughts

I was born left-handed, but right-armed. Write lefty; throw righty. I decided to carry 0300 “primary,” when attending a police academy*, in 1983-1984, and stuck with it. Texas had no handgun carry licensing system, for private citizens, at that time, so I could not carry until sworn as an LEO. At age 59, now, with multiple diagnoses, from upper back, and right shoulder down to right thumb, my right hand is no longer a best hand for shooting, but, with the conditioning of bazillions of draws from 0300-ish, engraved into my brain, (muscles have no “memory,”) I have plenty of reasons to keep a weapon somewhere around 0300, while positioning another weapon to optimize lefty access. In the fog of battle, I might reach for 0300, and would rather that SOMETHING be there.

This is nothing new. From 2002 to 2006, perhaps extending to about 2008, it was quite normal for me to carry a pair of SP101 revolvers, or one SP101 and one 4” Speed Six or GP100, in mirror-image Milt Sparks PMK holsters. I may well return to a pair of revolvers being the default norm, but if one is larger, it may well be worn on the left side, and the right-side weapon may migrate to appendix.

Another possibility is 0300, and right appendix, keeping both weapons near each other, which simplifies defending them. If the appendix rig is straight-drop-vertical, a draw that Mas termed the “Roman Salute” allows reasonable lefty access speed.

Another possibility, with which I experimented, during that 2002-2008 period, was primary at 0200/0300, and second weapon in a lefty cross-draw holster at/near the right appendix position. This kept the weapons next to each other, back-to-back, for defensibility. The usual caveats, regarding cross-draw, do apply, but keep in mind that this is “front cross-draw,” and so much more defendable.

OK, time for COVFEFE.

*Drawing an L-Frame’s mass from the then-mandated low-slung duty rig was not unlike throwing underhand, and, I knew that I would mostly be patrolling alone, so the right hip would be more-accessible while seated in a patrol car. Plus, if ambushed while eating, I could return fire without having to drop my donut.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Mas and others add their thoughts on the matter in the Snub interview thread. Check out post #129.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....terview/page13
    Excellent read, thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Around five years ago I found myself in a position I didn't like. The former dopers that lived next door were harmless but messed up in the head from years of... injustice or whatever they call it now. Cool, but their daughter moved in... with her boyfriend. And they started dealing. That sucks but...

The neighbor next door who had rented the house after our long term and good neighbors moved got involved with those people and others, and there was some sort of supply/dealing network going on.

I was in regular contact with the local department (not the one I work for) and it quickly became apparent these people may figure out who is calling on them. I began to worry about someone kicking in my door with a baseball bat, Hi-Point, or AK... and that's not so cool. Sooo... I ended up picking up a Ruger LCP and a Mitch Rosen pocket holster. I carried it "at home" for a year or two until .380s were approved on my department and now it's my "always" gun that goes in my right front pocket when I put on pants in the morning, and stays there until I go to bed.

It has been 100% reliable with everything I've put through it to include several types of FMJ ammo as well as Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger, and our authorized duty round, which is Federal HST. My schedule is thus... Twice a year I test fire the pistol as carried. The first couple rounds of HST cause lint and debris to "poof" away as it's fired. I shoot the magazine of carry ammo, and maybe a couple more. Then I shoot 50-100 rounds of ball ammo for practice (not BS stuff but Hackathorn Wizard, "the test", and stuff like "Dot Torture") before cleaning and re-lubrication. Then it's back in the pocket for another ~6 months.

People ask my why I have that gun. I carried it all day today, but other than inside my home and now inside my hotel room, if I needed it it was a bad day indeed because I had my Glock 19 with 18 rounds, an RMR, a TLR-7A, and a spare 17rd magazine. Its purpose is that when the Glock isn't on me, and someone breaks down my door with lethal intent, they get seven x .380s to the face, then if needed I'll throw the gun at them while I run to get something else.
    Well-written. If I'm at home and wearing anything with pockets, I have a .380 in a pocket holster. My LCP-II and G42 are both very reliable with everything I've fed them; since retiring a few months ago, I switched from dept. policy mandated Gold Dot (which I'm fine with) to the new Federal HS-Deep, which is accurate in both guns and gives me a slightly fuzzier feeling. I like my odds of the .380 getting me to something bigger.

I don't leave home with just a .380, but one often comes along as a backup, depending upon where/when I'm going.

If I’m reading the OP correctly you’ll have two guns and mags all IWB. If that works more power to you. I can’t stand having more than one thing IWB. Obviously I’m not you but I’d experiment around the house a bit. It could create pressure points where the belt and pants are no longer in contact with you because of the guns and other gear keeping it at bay.

I’m also with TC215, BBI and others. I’ve carried two guns for almost 15 years. But the second has almost always been on my ankle. Lately I’ve experimented with a G19 at 4 o’clock OWB and a G43X AIWB. I’ve also reversed that. It’s tolerable and may be my go to when I decide to wear cowboy boots. If I’m in shorts the G43 or 43X is sometimes in a front pocket as a BUG.

As a private citizen if I carried a 2nd gun it would probably be my M&P340. Super light, can be shot through a pocket, and works when a thug is on top of you and pressure is applied to it.

Nothing wrong with experimenting and trying new techniques as our bodies are shaped differently and all that. Let us know how it goes.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Sooo... I ended up picking up a Ruger LCP and a Mitch Rosen pocket holster. I carried it "at home" for a year or two until .380s were approved on my department and now it's my "always" gun that goes in my right front pocket when I put on pants in the morning, and stays there until I go to bed.

It has been 100% reliable with everything I've put through it to include several types of FMJ ammo as well as Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger, and our authorized duty round, which is Federal HST. My schedule is thus... Twice a year I test fire the pistol as carried. The first couple rounds of HST cause lint and debris to "poof" away as it's fired. I shoot the magazine of carry ammo, and maybe a couple more. Then I shoot 50-100 rounds of ball ammo for practice (not BS stuff but Hackathorn Wizard, "the test", and stuff like "Dot Torture") before cleaning and re-lubrication. Then it's back in the pocket for another ~6 months.
    This is pretty much the identical solution I stumbled upon over the years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I’m in the “second gun should be a J frame” camp.

As noted, it can be carried in a location than eases access such as the pocket or ankle if seated a lot. It small enough that it isn’t that much of a pain, literally and figuratively. I typically roll with one Glock but when I add the J I don’t find it too bothersome.

I have only seen two gun appendix done successfully by one person, and it was two J frames in mirror image holsters.
    I agree that the second should be a J Smith or similar.
    My 442 goes in my front pants pocket with two speed strips loaded with four rounds each with either my 3” M64 or a Glock carried strong side. Before I got a state CHP and after Glocks were mandated on and off duty, I put up with pocket carried subcompact Glocks for years. Too blocky for an unobstructed draw from the pocket and carrying a spare mag accessibly was nearly impossible. A small snag free revolver is much better for me.
    Works great for standing but inaccessible while seated. It still does not allow weak hand access.
    I really need to look into ankle carry since I proposed to our Quality Assurance Major, after being asked about any improvements for our few road deputies (most of our staff is Corrections), that we allow secondary handguns to be carried while on duty. It may actually happen now with our new Sheriff.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 11-24-2020 at 07:37 AM.

Site Supporter
    Well it can be done if you want too with the right gear and attire. I don't do this all the time, but I can when I feel the need.

Name:  EDC Shirt.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  38.8 KBName:  EDC.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  72.1 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Today I carried my Glock 42 in a Blackhawk ARC AIWB weak hand(support hand, other strong hand etc)

I was drawing AIWB and firing my G19 Mozambique on one target then drawing the G42 and firing a pair at target 2. Average transition to hit was 2.5 seconds.

Being left handed I ran into a problem. Every time I drew and fired the second shot was only a click. I was activating the mag release with my right thumb.

So tonight I'm unsuccessfully trying to switch the mag release over to to the right side of the gun. What a PITA.

As far as carry comfort, it was fine. The G42 is very flat and light. I think it's a good choice because it's so easy to shoot compared to my 442. 8 shots vs 5.

The use case is drawing and rapid firing at close range and this gun has so little recoil/blast that it's a breeze weak hand only.

I'm gonna practice a lot of dryfire draws and integration with the 19 this week. If I can get the blasted mag catch switched.

An LCR lives in my strongside pocket. It stays there whether or not I can get away with a belt gun. Used to do the B.U.G. thing in my younger years then stopped. Back then, it was a snub or LCP in my weakside pocket.

I've found dedicated strongside more consistent and allows me to not be constantly rearranging the contents of my pockets. And I like being able to walk around with my hands in my pockets, one on a gun, other on a flashlight. Or stand around with thumbs hooked in my belt, one on a K-frame and other ready to choose between a fixed blade or pepper spray.

Since dropping "down" to a K-frame snub on the belt, I've found myself totally willing to carry a back-up gun as a matter of course. Small fixed blade, stumpy Model 10 LCR, kubotan pepper spray, small fixed blade, and reload for the big wheelgun aren't a burden on the defensive end of things. And losing the stronside pocket for clipping a knife never phased me since I prefer slipjoints and other traditional designs that can go in any other pocket, anyway. My left hand can get to my appendix carried snub so left hand access to a gun is somewhat maintained if sub-optimally.

Non-sworn, never even been a cop, just sumdood. In fact, apprecate having a back-up less for my benefit and more for the possiblity to hand it off and have another armed party on my side.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    The use case is drawing and rapid firing at close range and this gun has so little recoil/blast that it's a breeze weak hand only.
    This is my thinking exactly with the compact, single-stack PPS. A little more snap on recoil than a G42 but still very manageable, and paddle mag release FTW. ;-)

User Tag List