Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on 2-Gun Carry

Thoughts on 2-Gun Carry

I'm seriously considering giving it a try.

I have two pistols that carry quite nicely in JMCK #3 IWB holsters on the strong side: a Walther PPS M1 and a PPQ M1. The PPS is my normal EDC - it's so comfortable I no longer notice it's there. The 5-inch PPQ carries almost as well from both a concealment and comfort aspect.

My thought is to purchase a weak side #3 IWB for the PPS, so it can ride opposite the PPQ. I would also carry an IWB mag carrier for the PPQ in front of the PPS. While this might sound crazy for anything beyond fulfilling a John Wick fantasy, I consider the following as worthy advantages;

• Should my strong hand/arm become restrained by an assailant, injured, etc. to have a second gun easily accessible on the left side
    • At an arm's length confrontation, I consider the PPS superior to the PPQ because there is MUCH less for the assailant to grab hold of forward of the trigger guard and so it would be selected in such a scenario
    • Provide the second gun to an unarmed person who might be accompanying me (such as my wife) for a collective defensive effort
    • BUG in the event the primary becomes inoperative or is dropped, taken away, etc.

In my case the key to the utility of the second gun is that it must be readily accessible and handled just like the primary, only from the weak side. The "mirror imaging" of draw strokes and weapon manipulation I see as a major advantage. Based on some experimentation with the holsters I have, it seems quite viable from a concealment and comfort perspective.

I would welcome any feedback or experience anyone would like to share on this.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post

I have two pistols that carry quite nicely in JMCK #3 IWB holsters on the strong side: a Walther PPS M1 and a PPQ M1. The PPS is my normal EDC - it's so comfortable I no longer notice it's there. The 5-inch PPQ carries almost as well from both a concealment and comfort aspect.

My thought is to purchase a weak side #3 IWB for the PPS, so it can ride opposite the PPQ. I would also carry an IWB mag carrier for the PPQ in front of the PPS. While this might sound crazy for anything beyond fulfilling a John Wick fantasy.
    I think it is a matter of your desire and comfort. I'd also get some savvy folks to vet concealment.

I'd contact JM and see if the #3 IWB 'could' be converted to strong side carry if it didn't work out - although I'm sure most of us have +$55.00 dollars worth of gear we've bought that didn't work out and is just laying around.

One of the downsides I see is that from a weapon retention standpoint any physical confrontation you are in has another pistol added to the equation. Kind of hard to defend and retain two pistols. This is more likely to become a self-fulfilling prophecy in a scuffle when carrying two pistols: BUG in the event the primary is dropped, taken away, etc.

I would also discount this as a driving reason to carry two pistols - Provide the second gun to an unarmed person who might be accompanying me (such as my wife) for a collective defensive effort - unless the folks who generally accompany you are firearms folks. Police departments often cited 'throwing a speedstrip/speedloader/magazine to your partner' as a reason for all officers carrying the same weapon. I'm not sure it never happened, but extremely rare if it did.

So, dependent on your thoughts on those items, I'd say live the dream.

I’ve carried two handguns on-duty for basically my entire adult life, and I can’t imagine carrying both of them on my waist. I’ve predominantly carried my BUG on my ankle, but also occasionally in my pocket or on my vest (when in uniform).

I believe it would be hard to conceal, and harder to defend.

I almost always carry 2 guns, but the 2nd one is a J Frame in my pocket.
    This gives me the standard benefits of carrying a BUG plus the benefits of Snubby Pocket Carry... Mainly hand on the J ready to draw without any tells and more reliable contact shots.

No doubt it can make a lot of sense.

But is it legal.

And is it legal in every state you might travel through, reciprocity and all.

Reciprocity typically requires out of state permit holder to comply with state law.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchen's mill View Post

But is it legal.

Reciprocity typically requires out of state permit holder to comply with state law.
    What state restricts how many you can carry?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post

My thought is to purchase a weak side #3 IWB for the PPS, so it can ride opposite the PPQ. I would also carry an IWB mag carrier for the PPQ in front of the PPS. While this might sound crazy for anything beyond fulfilling a John Wick fantasy, I consider the following as worthy advantages;
    I think two guns make a lot of sense, but perhaps not two waist carried guns. Retention could become an issue, think of how people tend to tackle with their arms out and around your waist. I don't know your level of hand to hand skill, but I personally wouldn't be comfortable trying to defend myself and two waist carried guns.

I like the notion of second gun covering the weaknesses of the first carry position. Appendix mated with pocket, for example. Pocket carry is, IMO, superior for a surprise draw in a street mugging sort of situation. I can count on one hand how many muggers have patted down suspects and went into their pockets first. You are expected to put your hand in your pocket, so mimicking compliance is easier. Pat downs that do occur are usually after the victim has nothing or little of value and the bad guy thinks they are holding out. You should have a good grip and be presenting before the other guy's OODA loop starts. Going for the appendix carry under direct observation is harder, especially since so many mopes carry holsterless appendix. Pocket carry sucks while you're seated and driving, where appendix is going to do very well. Pocket carry retention is pretty easy.

When I was a detective, I ankle carried my BUG since I could get to it seat belted in much easier then OWB while wearing a suit jacket and seat belted in.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I've done this for quite some time, and it works well for me.

Understand that my work is uniformed LE, and I can dress like a bum on my own time. I usually wear a tucked-in t-shirt with an open-front shirt as a cover garment. Works with shorts or pants/jeans, and doesn't stick out in my AO. Also, everything translates to wearing a blazer or sport coat.

Additionally, by reaching around my back, I can access the other gun with either hand. Not ideally, but doable.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ot-ain-t-no-BS!
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 11-15-2020 at 02:53 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by kitchen's mill View Post

But is it legal.

Please - start an entire section of the “community” on a trend of mailing letters to atf/doj etc to ask permission...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I've done this for quite some time, and it works well for me.
    Thanks for the feedback, and the link!

I dress the same way: tucked-in T-shirt with a polo or open button shirt on top. I have never noticed any concealment issues from careful mirror study, but getting someone familiar with the subject matter @HeavyDuty to do a critique is a great idea.

I also remain extremely cognizant of the fact I'm carrying from a behavior standpoint, such as bending at the knees instead of bending over to pick something up, natural movements to check the cover garment, maintaining SA to see if someone is checking out my belt line, etc. No doubt having to do the same for both sides will require some additional effort.

In terms of legality, it is here in NH. When I go to corporate in MA or visit family in NY the pistols stay in the safe.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 11-15-2020 at 03:11 PM.

User Tag List