Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: For old naval nerds (and nerds of old navies)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Money and personnel sinks.
    Their retirement was kind of a godsend to the Spruances (and maybe other ship classes). That fancily automated, reduced staffing engine room on the Spruances didn't hold up on its promise and the engineering departments were pretty undermanned. The Iowas freed up a bunch of Boiler Techs and such that let the Spruance staffing get beefed up with folks that could stand a watch and do general maintenance.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Money and personnel sinks. They were, I believe, the only stick-shift 600psi plants in service at the time. The only smart thing that the Congress did was to forbid the Navy from using them as fleet flagships.

Some snarky-ass LT had a letter in Proceedings that began by saying a good warship would be acoustically quiet, have a very large range before refueling and have a large main battery- all characteristics of the USS Constitution, and then went on to suggest that the reactivation of the Iowas was an application of equally faulty logic.
    I read a strange alternate universe novel (can't recall the name) where the Royal Navy finds a magical element that allows them to develop their sailing line of battleships that could fly between planets. That universe crosses over with ours in the future when we have conventional ships that can fly between the planets. Both teams fight evil aliens. Pretty interesting. A search didn't bring it up.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I read a strange alternate universe novel (can't recall the name) where the Royal Navy finds a magical element that allows them to develop their sailing line of battleships that could fly between planets. That universe crosses over with ours in the future when we have conventional ships that can fly between the planets. Both teams fight evil aliens. Pretty interesting. A search didn't bring it up.
    There’s a short story in an anthology based on David Drake’s Ranks of Bronze where the Romans return to earth in the trader ship with all the technology. Earth has to build a lot of ships to prepare for the Traders following. They don’t have time to build new so they convert old ships with new technology. IIRC the Iowa was one of them.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Of course, there's Space Cruiser Yamato - where the Yamato is rebuilt as a space warship. In one episode, IIRC, the Arizona, Bismarck and one of the KG5s are also rebuilt - of course, they get blown up for the Yamato to save the day.

There's a crappy Japanese movie with the Yamato fighting some Godzilla like monster - really a bad movie.

I had a Space Cruiser Yamato poster in my office. None of the snooty other faculty got it. Only some of the kids did.

This one is part of my computer monitor background rotation...

Name:  space battleship_yamato.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  43.2 KB

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

This one of just a generic space battle as well

Name:  full_broadside_by_lorddoomhammer-d6i2a3f.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  44.7 KB

Site Supporter
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...phia-108310794

CAMDEN, N.J. -- Residents in the Philadelphia area are about to see a rare site — a battleship floating down the Delaware River.

The USS New Jersey is scheduled to move from its dock in Camden on Thursday, when it will head to the Philadelphia Navy Yard for extensive maintenance work. The vessel, guided by tugboats, will initially head to the Paulsboro Marine Terminal, where it will be balanced to prepare for dry docking, and will then go to the Navy Yard six days later.
    ------------

Maybe they could install a wave-motion gun in the bow, with a warp drive?

Don't know if these have every been posted, I just spent the afternoon watching them.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Name:  Looking astern from USS Pennsylvania towards USS New Mexico and USS Nevada; 1930s.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  83.1 KB

Looking forward from USS Pennsylvania towards USS New Mexico and USS Nevada; 1930s

User Tag List