Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: For old naval nerds (and nerds of old navies)

I don't know what the difference is between the sailor that flagged incoming landing planes from the platform that hung off of the flight deck and the sailor that worked the flags from the large assortment of flags stowed in large boxes inboard.
    My father worked the inboard flags. At 96 his memory isn't so good nowadays.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Yorktown Chocolate cookie ingredients.

Name:  Cookies.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  34.7 KB
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post
    I don't know what the difference is between the sailor that flagged incoming landing planes from the platform that hung off of the flight deck and the sailor that worked the flags from the large assortment of flags stowed in large boxes inboard.
    My father worked the inboard flags. At 96 his memory isn't so good nowadays.
    The first is the Landing Signal Officer, who is essentially giving corrective guidance/orders to landing aircraft. He is a naval aviator.

The second is an enlisted man who signals to other ships. Letter/number signal flags are used to communicate maneuvering or operational orders, often to several ships. Semaphore flags are used for sending short-range messages. Flashing (blinker) lights for longer range messages.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The first is the Landing Signal Officer, who is essentially giving corrective guidance/orders to landing aircraft. He is a naval aviator.

The second is an enlisted man who signals to other ships. Letter/number signal flags are used to communicate maneuvering or operational orders, often to several ships. Semaphore flags are used for sending short-range messages. Flashing (blinker) lights for longer range messages.
    Stephanie thanks. I do remember now that the Signal officer was a naval aviator.
    My father was the other one.
    He was aboard the Essex when it was in Bremerton Wa. for its first decommissioning.
    It was recommissioned for deployment to Korea later. After that it got a slant deck before shipping out to Viet Nam.
    Last edited by baddean; 07-21-2023 at 09:03 PM.
    Dean,

Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post
    Stephanie thanks. I do remember now that the Signal officer was a naval aviator.
    My father was the other one.
    He was aboard the Essex when it was in Bremerton Wa. for its first decommissioning.
    It was recommissioned for deployment to Korea later. After that it got a slant deck before shipping out to Viet Nam.
    I've always thought the evolution of the Essex class was pretty cool!

World War 2:

Name:  uss-essex-cv-9-56a61b7a3df78cf7728b5fe9.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  54.0 KB

After SCB-27A rebuild:

Name:  3bfe373edaf5f804d8fc5afbe1eec49c.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  39.7 KB

After SCB-125 rebuild:

Name:  USS-Essex-CV-9.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  57.0 KB
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

The first time my wife and I rode one of our motorcycles to Patriots Point in the early 90s we toured the Savannah along with the Yorktown and Destroyer USS Laffey and the sub Clagamore. The Savannah was moved to Baltimore not long after that.
    A friend and I rode motorcycles to Charleston this past spring and toured the Yorktown because he hadn't been there before. The USS Clamagore sub was being dismantled while we were there on this trip. It was pretty rough looking. Evidently it is being taken apart and some of it saved for exhibit and the rest recycled. Patriots Point struggles just to keep up with the maintenance on the Yorktown and Laffey due to the saltwater corrosion.
    That's what finally got the Clagamore.
    Dean,

Site Supporter
    https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news...siles-in-sail/

Interesting new sub. I've seen reports that S. Korea and Japan are or will launch subs with similar missile tubes. It is foolish to think that the planning is for just conventional weapons. All three countries have probably decided in the long run, the US nuclear shield may not be trusted. I recall Japan launched two big 'helicopter carriers'. The reports at the time were that, of course, they are not aircraft carriers and couldn't become such. Surprise - like that contingency wasn't in the planning for the ships.

Middle sized and tech savvy countries are probably rethinking nuclear weapons.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news...siles-in-sail/

Interesting new sub. I've seen reports that S. Korea and Japan are or will launch subs with similar missile tubes. It is foolish to think that the planning is for just conventional weapons. All three countries have probably decided in the long run, the US nuclear shield may not be trusted. I recall Japan launched two big 'helicopter carriers'. The reports at the time were that, of course, they are not aircraft carriers and couldn't become such. Surprise - like that contingency wasn't in the planning for the ships.

Middle sized and tech savvy countries are probably rethinking nuclear weapons.
    A helicopter carrier can probably carry a hell of a lot of drones as well. Just saying.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    A helicopter carrier can probably carry a hell of a lot of drones as well. Just saying.
    Turkey build what was to be a F-35 ship but when their purchase of Russian missiles got them thrown out of the program, they have stated the ship will be a drone carrier. They would put their most advanced ones on it. However, such a ship couldn't stand against a modern opponent so it's for lesser world interventions.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List