Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: For old naval nerds (and nerds of old navies)

For old naval nerds (and nerds of old navies)

It seems like there's a few of us here interested in naval history. I've followed Chris Eger's blog for 4-5 years now and always look forward to Warship Wednesday

Enjoy!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Cool stuff!

My God Father and life-long family friend was an aviator on the USS Essex (CV-9) during WWII. He was a tail gunner on a Curtiss SB2S Helldiver and had many stories to tell of action in the Pacific.

Site Supporter
    Maybe we can just start using this thread to share interesting Naval History stuff we find.

This video by Drach was maybe the most interesting thing I’ve seen about Pearl Harbor in twenty years. It details the salvage operations after the attack. While the video has really good still images of the salvage operation it works well as a podcast or audio only. I’m looking foward to part two.

im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Part two dropped today. I know this shit ain’t as sexy as battleship battles, but the ability to do this kind of work is in large part why we won the war.

im strong, i can run faster than train

Funny, I've just discovered this fellow's work, too. I really enjoyed his piece on French Pre-Dreadnoughts.

"If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

A little something to bring this thread back up: Disaster at Honda Point: The U.S. Navy's Largest Peacetime Loss of Ships
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    A little something to bring this thread back up: Disaster at Honda Point: The U.S. Navy's Largest Peacetime Loss of Ships
    Wow that was something to read. Guess they should’ve trusted the radio beacons.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Cool stuff!

My God Father and life-long family friend was an aviator on the USS Essex (CV-9) during WWII. He was a tail gunner on a Curtiss SB2S Helldiver and had many stories to tell of action in the Pacific.
    Interesting. My father was a flagman on the Essex at end of the war.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post
    Interesting. My father was a flagman on the Essex at end of the war.
    I wonder if they knew each other.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I wonder if they knew each other.
    I think he arrived on board around the time she was headed for Bremerton WA.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

User Tag List