Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reloading 9mm for a semi auto

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    So, lead does not work well with a semi auto? I am not set on a bullet, I am just trying to find the easiest/best way to reload one practice loads.
    The uncoated lead projectiles will lead up your barrel faster and will have to be cleaned more often, lead exposure while loading is another concern. Nitrile gloves should be worn while processing exposed lead and cases while doing prep work. Some ranges depending on your area/local/state laws do not allow exposed lead projectiles. I prefer the coated lead projectiles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    So, lead does not work well with a semi auto? I am not set on a bullet, I am just trying to find the easiest/best way to reload one practice loads.
    Lead can work well in a semi-auto. There are three types of lead bullets - swaged, cast and lubricated, and cast and coated. Swaged bullets don't work well in autoloaders though they can be excellent in revolvers. Cast and lubed bullets can work well in autoloaders but must be the correct size; if they're too small, they'll lead. A good diameter to start out with is .356. Coated cast bullets are the best option since they're most resistant to leading, but again must be correctly sized for best accuracy. Coated bullets are a lot less messy to deal with too.

Note that there's a limit on how light you can go with your loads in an autoloader since you need a certain amount of recoil to function the pistol. Starting loads in reloading manuals will usually function, but you have to try them to verify it.

Lead does work but I would suggest you match the bullet dia to your barrel to avoid leading. For instance, I used .452 dia lead in all of my Colt 1911's. Never had a problem with leading. I did however have a leading problem with .452 dia in a Sig P-220. So it depends on the bore dia. and the bullet. A bullet manufacture may say their bullets are .452 but may be .4515. Those bullets will lead some barrels. Coated bullets solves all of those problems. I decided that uncoated lead wasn't worth the hassle and gave away all of my uncoated bullets. I now use coated or FMJ exclusively. No more leading and no more lead exposure. Your call.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List