Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Always Check Your Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Earlier in the year I was shooting a few 9mm rounds I had accumulated from multiple chamberings. They were Remington Golden Sabers. One round had a weak report and the round stovepiped. I inspected the Beretta M9 civilian and there was no damage. I kept shooting but that weak round bothered me. I picked it up off the ground and it was a .380 Remington Golden Saber casing. First time ever I shot the wrong caliber in a firearm of any kind. Other my pride, there were no injuries.
    When I worked at the gun shop, we had a customer who did quite a lot of shooting. One day we were discussion mistakes and the topic of shooting .380s in a 9mm. Turns out he thought that the .380 was to 9mm what .38 Special was to .357. He'd never had a problem doing it but stopped when told of his mistake.

Things like this is why I quit using a progressive press years ago. Brass was resized and primed didn't catch it until I went to expand. Should have seen it sooner but never would have on a progressive. Have case gauges in different calibers now but still not getting a progressive again. Need something to do in my retirement.

Name:  IMG_4389sm1.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  17.5 KBName:  IMG_4390sm.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  24.5 KB

The dreaded A-Merc brass. Horrible stuff, from my understanding.

As for checking your ammo... my story is right up this alley.

Finally finished my 300BK "build" ( really assembled ) took it to the range.

First shot, single mag loaded round, safety first... GTG, bolt locks back, everything works as it should. I am happy.

Next , I load 5 rds into the mag.

First shot from the 5rd loaded mag... a big fizzle and pretty smoky. Cheeze and Crackers !! Bah humbug...

No fired bullet... I wait, just in case prior to removing the case.

Get the case out... primer is sideways in the primer pocket, new unfired ammo.

Ok... what a fluke. @nd round ever, and its a dud.

Reinsert mag, 4rds left in it... next 3 fire ok... 4th one, fizzle ...

Another sideways primer. ( Remington 120gr OTM bulk pack. )

Moral is.... check your important ammo.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bfoosh006 View Post
    The dreaded A-Merc brass. Horrible stuff, from my understanding.

As for checking your ammo... my story is right up this alley.

Finally finished my 300BK "build" ( really assembled ) took it to the range.

First shot, single mag loaded round, safety first... GTG, bolt locks back, everything works as it should. I am happy.

Next , I load 5 rds into the mag.

First shot from the 5rd loaded mag... a big fizzle and pretty smoky. Cheeze and Crackers !! Bah humbug...

No fired bullet... I wait, just in case prior to removing the case.

Get the case out... primer is sideways in the primer pocket, new unfired ammo.

Ok... what a fluke. @nd round ever, and its a dud.

Reinsert mag, 4rds left in it... next 3 fire ok... 4th one, fizzle ...

Another sideways primer. ( Remington 120gr OTM bulk pack. )

Moral is.... check your important ammo.
    At least that wasn’t expensive ammo.... maybe only $1.20/ rd?

Good lesson, though.

I’ve never seen a sideways primer (knock on wood).

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I did the same with a 9mm cartridge in a .40S&W loading from a big bucket o' bullets at our range during our transition. It resulted in sort of a reverse .357 sig brass...
    Name:  B8E64232-254D-4285-93C7-8D9873447AC4.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  100.4 KB

Hehe. Been there.

This last Friday, I went to the range with a Smith 13-2, a gun I've had a while but never gotten around to shooting much. I wanted to see how it printed with various .38 +P defensive-oriented loads: 135 gr Speer SB, 130 gr Win bonded, 110 gr Hornady Critical Defense and 125 gr Rem GS. Everything went well with the Speer and the Win stuff. I fired a cylinder-full of the GS without issue, but on the third round from the second cylinder load, the trigger wouldn't come back and neither would the hammer. A visual inspection revealed no apparent problems, so I reloaded the four unfired rounds and when I tried to close the cylinder it was sticky. Closer inspection with the unfired rounds still in the chambers showed that one case head was very slightly higher than the others. Checked the chamber and saw nothing impeding proper chambering, so I set that cartridge aside and tried another; it fit flush and everything worked fine. The rim on the offending round was ever-so-slightly thicker that the other cartridges - all from the same box. The fact that this gun has recessed chambers may have made it more sensitive to this variation. I wonder if that same round would have worked fine in my Model 10-5, which doesn't have the recessed chambers. (I tossed the offending cartridge in the range's dud box, so can't check that out.) Nevertheless, the remaining GS ammo is now relegated to range use, which is OK as I believe it's somewhat shy of the recommended minimum penetration.

Re the Hornady stuff, it all fired fine, but extraction was sticky, which I've also noticed with my Model 10. It also prints lower that the other loads. Fortunately, I've got a decent supply of Fed A.E. 130 FMJ, which is a good practice stand-in for both the Speer and Win loads.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Earlier in the year I was shooting a few 9mm rounds I had accumulated from multiple chamberings. They were Remington Golden Sabers. One round had a weak report and the round stovepiped. I inspected the Beretta M9 civilian and there was no damage. I kept shooting but that weak round bothered me. I picked it up off the ground and it was a .380 Remington Golden Saber casing. First time ever I shot the wrong caliber in a firearm of any kind. Other my pride, there were no injuries.
    Do you have a .380 ?

I've seen a 9mm round wind up in a box of .40 cal - same brand etc just wrong caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    This last Friday, I went to the range with a Smith 13-2, a gun I've had a while but never gotten around to shooting much. I wanted to see how it printed with various .38 +P defensive-oriented loads: 135 gr Speer SB, 130 gr Win bonded, 110 gr Hornady Critical Defense and 125 gr Rem GS. Everything went well with the Speer and the Win stuff. I fired a cylinder-full of the GS without issue, but on the third round from the second cylinder load, the trigger wouldn't come back and neither would the hammer. A visual inspection revealed no apparent problems, so I reloaded the four unfired rounds and when I tried to close the cylinder it was sticky. Closer inspection with the unfired rounds still in the chambers showed that one case head was very slightly higher than the others. Checked the chamber and saw nothing impeding proper chambering, so I set that cartridge aside and tried another; it fit flush and everything worked fine. The rim on the offending round was ever-so-slightly thicker that the other cartridges - all from the same box. The fact that this gun has recessed chambers may have made it more sensitive to this variation. I wonder if that same round would have worked fine in my Model 10-5, which doesn't have the recessed chambers. (I tossed the offending cartridge in the range's dud box, so can't check that out.) Nevertheless, the remaining GS ammo is now relegated to range use, which is OK as I believe it's somewhat shy of the recommended minimum penetration.

Re the Hornady stuff, it all fired fine, but extraction was sticky, which I've also noticed with my Model 10. It also prints lower that the other loads. Fortunately, I've got a decent supply of Fed A.E. 130 FMJ, which is a good practice stand-in for both the Speer and Win loads.
    Had something similar with a half case of S&B .38 Special. In spec, but tight side of spec, headspace on an M12 revolver and out of spec rim thickness in the S&B brass.:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-it-s-the-ammo

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Name:  B8E64232-254D-4285-93C7-8D9873447AC4.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  100.4 KB

Hehe. Been there.
    After we transitioned to S&W 1006 pistols our HQ staff and Detectives carried a mix of SIG P225 and P226 9mm pistols so we had ammo for both.
    One captain brought his son to the range on “make up day” the week after requal and was going to show him the awesome 10mm. Working in the range hut I hear “BOINK!” followed by mumbling and mechanical fidgitry, then “K’wok!”. As I headed onto the range I hear “Rick! My gun is not working!”.

After finding that his magazine was loaded with 9mm and two casings exactly like those in the photo I determined that the captain had sent his son for ammo and I had to explain that one silly little millimeter does make a difference.

User Tag List