Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Always Check Your Ammo

Always Check Your Ammo

I ran training and qualifications this past week for the department. I have a habit of always feeling and looking at the rounds before loaing and noticed these two. Both are factory loaded ammo, and the one on the right is not a 40 caliber wadcutter. You can see where the machine actually crimped it after was loaded backwards.

I got into that habit from one of our range masters. I never had any that bad but I had some raised primers.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Backwards primers won’t light off a round. Doesn’t matter how many times you smack it with the DA.

Still have that round. I’ve wondered from time to time what would have happened if it had popped from the firing pin impacts. Or if it even could,

Not the ammo's fault

Earlier in the year I was shooting a few 9mm rounds I had accumulated from multiple chamberings. They were Remington Golden Sabers. One round had a weak report and the round stovepiped. I inspected the Beretta M9 civilian and there was no damage. I kept shooting but that weak round bothered me. I picked it up off the ground and it was a .380 Remington Golden Saber casing. First time ever I shot the wrong caliber in a firearm of any kind. Other my pride, there were no injuries.

Site Supporter
    This thread is a timely PSA! With ammo manufacturers scrambling to keep up with demand there's a real chance that QC could suffer.

10 or so years ago, my job switched back to the 9mm from .40 S&W. The Winchester RA9B was, at that time, the heat and that was what we chose. A few weak sauce reports were noted during the vetting of our shiny new G4 17 and 19 pistols and the new ammo. So many so, that I put the new guns/ammo on hold and went out and bought a chronograph. I pulled a random box from different cases from the two date codes we had in our ammo allotment. One date code had almost 15% of the rounds clocking in at around 400fps vs the 985fps spec velocity. Winchester made good on it but it was a very good lesson. Now a sample of ammo from each new lot received gets run through the chrono before issue. FWIW, the ATK 9mm products that we issued in the aftermath of the Winchester debacle displayed much greater consistency in velocity (waaaaaay lower SD) than the Winchester. We continue to use ATK ammo. Not looking to bash Winchester. Just wanted to share another example of why checking ammo is important and the observations made during our vetting process.

There really isn't anything wrong with visually inspecting ammo before use. Carry ammo should get a little extra scrutiny. Why not, it qualifies as lifesaving equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Backwards primers won’t light off a round. Doesn’t matter how many times you smack it with the DA.

Still have that round. I’ve wondered from time to time what would have happened if it had popped from the firing pin impacts. Or if it even could,
    I dont recommend the following but I once accidentally did that to a round I was handloading. I later carefully removed the primer with the decapping function of my sizing die on my 550. I then re-loaded the newly freed primer into another casing and put powder and a bullet.

I set it aside to shoot and it worked! Ha.

Guy next to me on the line at a frank proctor class put a .40 through his .45 caliber pistol. He was digging ammo out of an ammo can he had filled for the class. He claims he doesn't own a .40 pistol and was pretty flabbergasted. I believe it was factory ammunition he was firing as well. Pistol was down for about 3-5 minutes before he got things sorted out.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    I dont recommend the following but I once accidentally did that to a round I was handloading. I later carefully removed the primer with the decapping function of my sizing die on my 550. I then re-loaded the newly freed primer into another casing and put powder and a bullet.

I set it aside to shoot and it worked! Ha.
    Mine was factory, and got at least three smacks before I pulled it.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    Guy next to me on the line at a frank proctor class put a .40 through his .45 caliber pistol. He was digging ammo out of an ammo can he had filled for the class.
    I did the same with a 9mm cartridge in a .40S&W loading from a big bucket o' bullets at our range during our transition. It resulted in sort of a reverse .357 sig brass...
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List