Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NLEFIA Red Dot for Duty Pistols

NLEFIA Red Dot for Duty Pistols

The National Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor Association has been running this class since 2017 or so. It and the Advanced Firearms Instructor Certification are the two most popular.

The RDS class is somewhat unique to the market in that it isn't an end user or operator class but rather a class designed to help Instructors get ready to teach pistol RDS. It is two days long and starts with a classroom block. Classroom includes an overview of different sights on the market, different mounting methods and some policy considerations. The rest of Day One and all of Day Two are spent on the range.

Range time includes some quick zeroing and then different drills that not only help build Instructor confidence but can also be "stolen" and used by the instructors at their home range.

I have been fortunate enough to help out with two of these classes and enjoy working with the instructors as much as I do shooting the various drills.

If your department is considering red dot optics or currently authorizes red dots but has no formal training/transition program, I recommend you take a peek at the NLEFIA website for more info.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

NLEFIA seems to be doing well in some places, but it is having trouble getting established in others. I have twice joined. Once was when I was going to host their Advanced Instructor course, but we couldn't get enough people to make the course go. I joined again this year and signed up for a class that didn't get enough people, and neither did the next closest class.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    NLEFIA seems to be doing well in some places, but it is having trouble getting established in others. I have twice joined. Once was when I was going to host their Advanced Instructor course, but we couldn't get enough people to make the course go. I joined again this year and signed up for a class that didn't get enough people, and neither did the next closest class.
    COVID has had an impact on things. I was supposed to help out with an AFI class in California that got canceled.

What part of the country are you in? So far NLEFIA is pretty regional although it is starting to expand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    COVID has had an impact on things. I was supposed to help out with an AFI class in California that got canceled.

What part of the country are you in? So far NLEFIA is pretty regional although it is starting to expand.

I'm in GA. The other two classes were in AL.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

You might be able to host a class.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    You might be able to host a class.

See my first post; already tried that.

See my first post; already tried that.
    Sorry. I meant try again after COVID stuff dies down.

Intersting.

Note sure if this is remotely close to you. Just FYI:

https://nlefia.org/resources/Course%...ville%20KY.pdf

User Tag List