Thread: Red dotting a S&W K/L/N/X frame

Red dotting a S&W K/L/N/X frame

Watching @jetfire ‘s IG page and his ACRO equipped L frames has got me thinking about putting a dot of some sort on my 67. My question to the hive is about good RDO mounts available for the S&W that folks have experience with.

Jetfire is using an Apex Taxtical mount and an ACRO. Here’s the mount:
    Name:  0ABD6069-E1D2-49E2-B8E5-8045DDFE3176.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  22.4 KB

Trijicon also has one:
    Name:  D078A8AF-369A-44EE-88AD-7CB59DAB3BD7.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  19.8 KB

And I’ve found this one from Allchin Gun Parts:
    Name:  022EC804-7AE1-4702-B948-9DC04A57476A.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  34.3 KB
    Name:  DD37EF69-6112-41C5-B982-72DAF4C7D77B.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  27.2 KB

I really like the Allchin except it doesn’t have the raised bosses like the Trijicon does. And I’m not interested in an ACRO and Apex isn’t making one of those for the RMR footprint so they’re out.

Any other options you can think of? I want something that uses all 3 screw holes.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

EGW with trijicon on S&W M69

Raptor Engineering with Leupold Delta Point on S&W M69

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Watching @jetfire ‘s IG page and his ACRO equipped L frames has got me thinking about putting a dot of some sort on my 67. My question to the hive is about good RDO mounts available for the S&W that folks have experience with.

Jetfire is using an Apex Taxtical mount and an ACRO. Here’s the mount:
    Name:  0ABD6069-E1D2-49E2-B8E5-8045DDFE3176.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  22.4 KB

Trijicon also has one:
    Name:  D078A8AF-369A-44EE-88AD-7CB59DAB3BD7.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  19.8 KB

And I’ve found this one from Allchin Gun Parts:
    Name:  022EC804-7AE1-4702-B948-9DC04A57476A.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  34.3 KB
    Name:  DD37EF69-6112-41C5-B982-72DAF4C7D77B.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  27.2 KB

I really like the Allchin except it doesn’t have the raised bosses like the Trijicon does. And I’m not interested in an ACRO and Apex isn’t making one of those for the RMR footprint so they’re out.

Any other options you can think of? I want something that uses all 3 screw holes.
    That Allchin mount looks really good. All three screw holes and a recoil lug make feel like it’s designed by someone who takes this seriously. I have used the Trij mount and it’s rock solid, but I wouldn’t be afraid to go with the Allchin.

Somehow I missed this thread:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....red-dot-sights

I really like the looks of the Allchin and the Raptor Engineering mount.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I posted this question in another Revo hive full of USPSA shooters.

Allchin was the hands-down favorite, mounting the lowest.

I have a Raptor Engineering on my 617(pics in the above thread) and like it a lot. Machined in posts for support and 3 screws for secure mounting. I've used it on borrowed guns (686 and vcomp) with success.

My buddy recently got an allchin for his v comp and I didn't like the fact that the posts aren't machined in but are small polymer inserts. It did use 3 screws for mounting though.

My raptor was for a vortex and his allchin for a sro. If raptor's site comes back (down for wildfires) I'd buy future mounts from them but so far the allchin is fine as well. Being that they're different optics, it's hard to get a height comparison, but neither is noticeably higher than the other aside from the difference in optics.

I don't know how important the posts are for a revolver since the dot isn't reciprocating though.

Name:  IMG_20200823_113939_382.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  45.1 KB
    Raptor on 686

Name:  20201107_135622.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  48.4 KB
    Allchin on vcomp
    Last edited by backtrail540; 11-14-2020 at 03:57 PM.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post

I don't know how important the posts are for a revolver since the dot isn't reciprocating
    I’d guess they’re really important. The frame is moving violently in a given direction under recoil, and the difference in inertia between the sight and the frame makes it want to move at a different speed. Posts are always better for load than screws.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    I don't know how important the posts are for a revolver since the dot isn't reciprocating though.
    So the posts are super important. All the Ruger mounts on the market use a single screw and a recoil lug, and none of them hold zero with even 38 Spl loads. The three-screw S&W mounts are rock solid.

So given the views above, the allchin would be an inferior mount to the raptor or other options that have machined posts since the example on the vcomp uses polymer inserts and they aren't exactly press fits or anything tight fitting. Hopefully raptor is back online before I need another mount.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

User Tag List