Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to find shot shell load data

Quote Originally Posted by bigslim View Post
    I have to look into it more but the Lyman manual said that adding buffer to a load changes the “fluid dynamics” of the shot column and will increase the chamber pressure.
    Yeah, it is a tough situation. You are not likely to find a manual that lists what you need, and all of the manuals are emphatic that no component is altered. But in my experience I frequently interchange AA and STS hulls, Claybuster wads, but I am loading for skeet loads that are so way far below max pressure.

I mixed hulls and primers all the time when I loaded. I even loaded my own low pressure loads for 2.5" chambers. Very little load data for that. My feeling is people get too anal about shotgun load data. Modern barrels can handle way more than people realize. I used to shoot some money games and all those people loaded there own ammo. I witnessed some pretty amazing things including what happens with a double powder charge. You know it when you here it and people close to the shooter get really pissed off, but I never saw any shrapnel or injuries. People were overloading for max velocity in the 1400 fps range which never came from any published data. That data was passed around the club from people that still had all their fingers.

It's true that hulls and primers make a big difference in pressure but if the powder and shot weight are followed one will likely have no serious pressure issues. One may have pattern issues but the only way to resolve those is to pattern your loads. Eventually you'll find one you like.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-18-2020 at 01:36 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Copy that, thanks y'all

Mike

User Tag List