Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to find shot shell load data

Where to find shot shell load data

Specifically I am looking for #1 and #00 buck data. I have a bunch of Remington STS hulls that I would like to use and am looking to replicate Federal Flight Control load data. I know I can’t get the FC wad and that’s fine my 24” Mossberg 835 is threaded for chokes. This is my HD gun and seeing as premium buck shot is all but extinct currently I’m looking for options.

I do have the Ballistic Products buck shot loading manual and have looked at both Alliant and Hodgdon’s sites. I don’t mind spending money on books but hate to only find 1 or 2 recipes out of 5000 that are pertinent to my needs.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.precisionreloading.com/c...l=LY&i=9827111 I also purchased many components from Precision...

Quote Originally Posted by bigslim View Post
    Specifically I am looking for #1 and #00 buck data. I have a bunch of Remington STS hulls that I would like to use and am looking to replicate Federal Flight Control load data. I know I can’t get the FC wad and that’s fine my 24” Mossberg 835 is threaded for chokes. This is my HD gun and seeing as premium buck shot is all but extinct currently I’m looking for options.

I do have the Ballistic Products buck shot loading manual and have looked at both Alliant and Hodgdon’s sites. I don’t mind spending money on books but hate to only find 1 or 2 recipes out of 5000 that are pertinent to my needs.

Mike

Lyman lists 6 buckshot loads for 2 3/4" STS hulls. Only one is useful for #1 buck, using 800X. The other uses a discontinued powder. If you want screenshots, PM me your email address.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Just picked up the Lyman manual yesterday and was again let down by the lack of buckshot data available. The info in the being of the book is great but I guess what I really want is a buckshot book with a bigger focus on SD or any other reliable source for buckshot data.

Mike

Found this: (never seen one)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012686274

Ballistic Products, Inc. has been brainstorming and shooting for years in preparation for this grand reintroduction of the Buckshot Manual. This reloading manual presents a variety of differing buckshot applications as many types of loads continues to grow. From varmint and home defense loads to law enforcement, buckshot is one of the fastest growing trends in shotgunning.

When fired at fleeing targets and through thick cover, buckshot loads are often the ideal projectile(s) in regards to energy and complete on-target coverage. The Buckshot Manual is a complete overview of buckshot loading technique, application, stacking guide and recipes for all gauges.

Features:

Over 320 buckshot loads
    All gauges: 10ga, 12ga (all lengths), 16ga, 20ga, 28ga, and .410
    Includes complete load assembly procedures and expert tips
    Convenient charts and complete descriptions teach the secrets of great buckshot loads
    Includes stacking guide and recipes for all gauges and sizes
    Includes ITX non-toxic buckshot loads

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Found this: (never seen one)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012686274

Ballistic Products, Inc. has been brainstorming and shooting for years in preparation for this grand reintroduction of the Buckshot Manual. This reloading manual presents a variety of differing buckshot applications as many types of loads continues to grow. From varmint and home defense loads to law enforcement, buckshot is one of the fastest growing trends in shotgunning.
    Yep, I've got this pub also, there are quite a few loads in this book but still no buffered #1 or #00 loads.

Mike

What prevents weighing the charge (ETA: should say payload) and looking for load data?
    ETA: I have loaded as much as 1-1/2oz in a regular shell.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    What prevents weighing the charge (ETA: should say payload) and looking for load data?
    ETA: I have loaded as much as 1-1/2oz in a regular shell.
    As I understand it shot weight is what it is regardless if its buck or bird shot. The issue comes in with changing the load recipe to say add buffer material or an overshot card. I also hope to not have to waist a ton of money on components while I try to find what works best in my gun.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bigslim View Post
    As I understand it shot weight is what it is regardless if its buck or bird shot. The issue comes in with changing the load recipe to say add buffer material or an overshot card.
    I am just thinking just dump everything that would go in the shell, including any buffer and such, and see how many ounces it weighs. There is data available for up to 1-1/2oz in a 2-3/4", that is how I ended up initially using Longshot.

Also, I would SWAG that you are going to be shooting these in a gun with a 3" chamber anyway, so you might have a little bit of a pressure cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I am just thinking just dump everything that would go in the shell, including any buffer and such, and see how many ounces it weighs. There is data available for up to 1-1/2oz in a 2-3/4", that is how I ended up initially using Longshot.

Also, I would SWAG that you are going to be shooting these in a gun with a 3" chamber anyway, so you might have a little bit of a pressure cushion.
    I have to look into it more but the Lyman manual said that adding buffer to a load changes the “fluid dynamics” of the shot column and will increase the chamber pressure.

I will continue the search.

Mike

User Tag List