Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Esstac Belt Loop Upgrades?

Hi Risk Customer Services

Esstac Belt Loop Upgrades?

Hoping you guys here may have some advice.

I am a big fan of the Esstac Kywi belt-mounted magazine pouches. I currently run one of their double pistol mag/single rifle mag hybrid pouches on my belt rig. I use their 1.75" blastic belt loops as opposed to the webbing and they keep breaking on me. It has happened often enough, and the replacement loops are expensive enough that I really am getting fed up. I tried using heavy duty zipties to reinforce the attachment, but it has not worked properly.

I am contemplating switching over to HSGI Taco belt mounted pouches, but I really like the slim profile of the Esstac and the rigid kydex inserts as opposed to the less secure Tacos. Is anyone here familiar with any possible upgraded belt loop options or other alternatives?

how are they breaking. I'm using the same and they're pretty sturdy, but it's only been a few months

One option may be to use malice clips or Velcro onewrap

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    One option may be to use malice clips or Velcro onewrap
    Plus one to both of the above recommendations, I use Malice clips on any ESSTAC pouches attached to MOLLE webbing and I use one wrap if I am mounting the pouch to a inner/ outer belt that is not MOLLE compatible. The only time I use the 1.75 clips anymore is if I am direct mounting the pouch to my pants belt, and even then Malice clips would work as well.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

I run the Esstac mag pouches on my Vest and Lead Devil USA belt. I have broken about 5 plastic belt loops over the last 6-8 months at work and training. Esstac recommended the Velcro one-wrap and I read online where someone said they use the Maxpedition Tac-Ties. I can't locate the thread or page where I read about the use of the tac-ties and I haven't tried them yet. The one-wrap is not bad, but the mag pouches will not move once in place.

For reference:
    https://www.maxpedition.com/collecti...12191274205255

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    how are they breaking. I'm using the same and they're pretty sturdy, but it's only been a few months
    Mine keep breaking along the top edge that sits over the top of the belt. The first couple of times it was the clips for the pistol magazines. This time it was the rifle magazine. It probably doesn't help that I am jamming Glock 21 magazines in there and then yanking them out. My gear is getting beat up between training and constantly rotating from gear bag to one vehicle or another.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeJumper View Post
    I run the Esstac mag pouches on my Vest and Lead Devil USA belt. I have broken about 5 plastic belt loops over the last 6-8 months at work and training. Esstac recommended the Velcro one-wrap and I read online where someone said they use the Maxpedition Tac-Ties. I can't locate the thread or page where I read about the use of the tac-ties and I haven't tried them yet. The one-wrap is not bad, but the mag pouches will not move once in place.

For reference:
    https://www.maxpedition.com/collecti...12191274205255
    The Velcro one-wrap is a great idea. I never thought of that. I have had great success with that style of attachment on my Blue Force Gear belt-mounted stuff. The lack of adjustability isn't ideal with the Velcro, but I can live with that. Plus the Velcro would interfere less with attachment to the velcro under-belt.

Kinda like Tactical Tailor Malice Clips, only with a lesser profile, greater flexibility, nearly toolless (all of which makes them easier to mount/dismount), known to Esstac.

https://www.wtfidea.com/whiskey-two-...system-straps/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZl4crRhK1D/

I've replaced every Malice Clip (and analogues) with these things, across the board. Absolute tits.
    Last edited by JMS; 11-13-2020 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    Kinda like Tactical Tailor Malice Clips, only with a lesser profile, greater flexibility, nearly toolless (all of which makes them easier to mount/dismount), known to Esstac.

https://www.wtfidea.com/whiskey-two-...system-straps/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZl4crRhK1D/

I've replaced every Malice Clip (and analogues) with these things, across the board. Absolute tits.
    I have a couple kywi pouches I have to mouth to my LBV. I have the wtfix straps for it, and maybe I'm just a dumbass, but I can't decipher how to secure them.

As I was. Just youtube-fu'd this and found a video.
    Last edited by Hot Cereal; 11-17-2020 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    I have a couple kywi pouches I have to mouth to my LBV. I have the wtfix straps for it, and maybe I'm just a dumbass, but I can't decipher how to secure them.

As I was. Just youtube-fu'd this and found a video.
    In case it helps anyone else, this is the video I found most helpful in figuring out how to install with the WTFix straps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZOYj8eHkfc

So far, I've really liked these WTFix straps compared to other methods I've used in the past. Obviously they have a bit more give compared to malice clips or other rigid clips, but I haven't seen any tears in them yet. What I would love to see is something similar made out of Blue Force Gear's ULTRAcomp material. Now that would be bomb proof!

With some mags, sometimes the tension seems pretty damn high on Esstac pouches. If it's taking significant force to pull a mag, definitely consider heating the insert and bending it just a bit (or put a mag in) to reduce the tension. With some of mine, the tension has been so high with certain mags I could see the potential that, if it drags and depending how you have it mounted, you might end up pulling the pouch at an angle. Basically putting a sheer load on a potential weak spot of a belt clip. I'd be willing to bet that's what happening, but just a guess.

Here's some of mine on a Blue Alpha MOLLE belt for reference:

Name:  IMG_20201117_201035_tn.jpg
Views: 2208
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20201117_201058_tn.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  51.1 KB

Just for fun, I took this 4 mag pouch and used my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge to see if I could get an idea on tension. With loaded P30 9mm mags as well as loaded HK45 mags, on average I was seeing between 3.5-4 pounds of pull. I didn't have Glock mags with a significant enough lip handy, but I tried by hand and G17 mags felt like they might be between .25-.5lb lighter pull. I also tested this on an Esstac 556 3 mag placard, just by hand with gen 2 PMAGs since I didn't have any AR mags with a significant lip. Not sure what the pull was, but definitely heavier and probably more like 5-6lbs. This does make me wonder if, based on thickness and rigidity of the attachment method, if that might also increase tension on the mags.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Esstac has a how-to on adjusting tension via heat: https://esstac.com/blog/remolding-mo...-kywi-inserts/

If you're at all leery about lightening tension on the KYWIs using heat, you can also cut one of the vertical legs of a KYWI, make it narrower. Less surface area in contact with the mag = less friction = lighter pull.

It worked nicely when I did it to an AR kangaroo pouch (I hate the shock-cord/pull-tab retention those commonly use, though I'd keep that if there was ever a snowball's chance I'd ever do airborne/waterborne stuff), with the biggest concern being whether or not the KYWI would stay in the pouch when a mag was pulled. They did, and it wasn't even an Esstac pouch; if they stayed in a Mayflower pouch, I think cut KYWIs staying in a made-for-them pouch is a pretty good bet.

User Tag List