Thread: Do the current S&W Model 10 "Classics" have a two piece barrel?

Site Supporter

Do the current S&W Model 10 "Classics" have a two piece barrel?

Specifically asking about the current Model 10-14 Classic as sold by S&W.

Is it a sleeve & shroud job or an old-fashioned one-piece barrel?

Same question for the Model 36 Classic.

Thanks,
    Jason

Site Supporter
    Got answers from S&W directly:

Model 10 Classic - 1 piece
    Model 36 Classic - 1 piece
    Model 64 - 2 piece
    Model 67 - 1 piece

Too bad about the 64. That will prevent anyone from chopping the barrel.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Interesting.

I've seen specific discussion on benos regarding two-piece barrels on recent M67s. And on the blue forum.

And this sure looks two-piece:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-67
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Interesting.

I've seen specific discussion on benos regarding two-piece barrels on recent M67s. And on the blue forum.

And this sure looks two-piece:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-67
    That's what I though too, so I thought I might go straight to the source and find out. I don't care that much about the 67 having a two-piece barrel, since I wouldn't chop a 4" adjustable sight gun.

A bit of an aside: I have owned a Model 69 Smith 44 Magnum 4.25" barrel. It's a two piece barrel and I've owned it and shot it since 2014. This gun really shoots and after running hundreds of 44 rounds down the bore it still shoots great with no problems. Saving up for the 2.75" version. Hope this helps in your search.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    A bit of an aside: I have owned a Model 69 Smith 44 Magnum 4.25" barrel. It's a two piece barrel and I've owned it and shot it since 2014. This gun really shoots and after running hundreds of 44 rounds down the bore it still shoots great with no problems. Saving up for the 2.75" version. Hope this helps in your search.
    Yeah, I don't have any issues with the two-piece barrel from a performance standpoint. My only issue is that they are not candidates for a barrel chop if someone wanted a shorter barrel. If you want a two-piece barrel in 3", then it would have to be MADE as a 3".

I was planning on buying a new 64 to send to C&S to have them make it into a 3". With the new info I have, I'll need to use a Model 10 Classic instead.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Yeah, I don't have any issues with the two-piece barrel from a performance standpoint. My only issue is that they are not candidates for a barrel chop if someone wanted a shorter barrel. If you want a two-piece barrel in 3", then it would have to be MADE as a 3".

I was planning on buying a new 64 to send to C&S to have them make it into a 3". With the new info I have, I'll need to use a Model 10 Classic instead.
    Are 3” 64s that scarce? I know I’d never let go of mine, but I’d think it would be easier and cheaper to wait until one turns up.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List