4 3.92%
  • Apple Pie

0 0%
  • Other

3 2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Worstest Thanksgiving Dish Ever

I'm in the "whole list looks good to me" camp- there's not much I don't like.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post
    I'll have to try that recipe. We roast them in the oven tossed with oil, salt and pepper. Really tasty but they do smell. You'll want to keep the windows open while they cook.
    Add lardons of thick cut bacon and those sprouts will come out tasting even better.

Brussel sprouts aren't my first or even twentieth choice for a vegetable, and I much prefer white potatoes over yams. But the one thing I won't eat is big ol' globs of wet spiced bread stuffing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    I fucking love mayo. I'd at least try this if it were real.
    I'm white as fuck and will put mayo on hot dogs, but no way am I drinking that. If some weirdo happened to have a can (because most of my friends are sick fucks like that) I would take sip just to say I did, because I'm still young enough to be that stupid. But I would not be looking forward to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If anyone was enough of a knuckle dragging barbarian to serve beets at Thanksgiving that would displace Brussels sprouts as the worst dish ever.
    Beets have got to be the most disgusting thing I have ever attempted to eat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

We were poor when I was little so for about half our meals, us kids ate blue box mac and cheese w/ hot dog wieners while my mom had pickled beets and cottage cheese (sometimes sweet pickles too). I always thought her combination was disgusting but the older I get, the more I like it. I even get cravings for it occasionally.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I know I'm in the minority here but unless you've lost your teeth or they haven't come in yet, mashed potatoes are a bullshit waste of carbs. May as well be tofu. At least you get to chew that flavorless, semisolid. "So buttery!" Yeah, you don't like mashed potatoes that much. You really just like those condiments but you'd look like a mental patient treating that salted butter stick like a Baby Ruth.
    Hush your mouth!

Real potatoes. Washed, not peeled. Cubed, boiled. Drain the water. Mashing tool - mash and mix in: butter, cream or whole milk, garlic, green onion, salt, cheese, cilantro. Add bacon if desired.

Hell, yeah, I’m about those condiments! And the potatoes.

Salted butter is pretty useless, though. Add salt if needed to specific recipes - can’t use salted butter in enough recipes that you have to stock two kinds of butter, which is dumb. Just stock butter and add salt if needed.

I like pie. There needs to be three or more kinds at Thanksgiving, and one needs to be pumpkin. But it’s not really satisfying if it was in a box for two weeks before you bought it. Much better home made with a good home made crust. Lady from church makes us pies once in a while. Need to call and make a thanksgiving request.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Roasted Brussels sprouts are excellent. A bit of oil, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, dice up some bacon and onions, mix and roast at 425'F for about 30 minutes. Drizzle on some Balsamic vinegar before serving.

Just made these yesterday. Leftovers for lunch today.

We like to roast cauliflower and broccoli the same way, but no vinegar at the end.

Sprouts are also great raw, shredded similar to cole slaw, a little oil and vinegar, with pine nuts (or sunflower seeds), grated Parmesan and whatever seasonings you like.
    Started reading this one and said, wow, that sounds great as long as you leave out the sprouts, or replace them with a vegetable like asparagus or broccoli or cauliflower or carrots.

My wife has tried this method of tricking me into eating sprouts. Nope.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Mac & cheese for Thanksgiving? No, just no. Eat that shit 362 days a year, but crimus, eat real food for a few holidays.

Little Green Balls of Death are never appropriate for any meal. Don't bother cooking them, just put them in the compost heap.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I know I'm in the minority here but unless you've lost your teeth or they haven't come in yet, mashed potatoes are a bullshit waste of carbs. May as well be tofu. At least you get to chew that flavorless, semisolid. "So buttery!" Yeah, you don't like mashed potatoes that much. You really just like those condiments but you'd look like a mental patient treating that salted butter stick like a Baby Ruth.
    I grew up in WV, moved to Houston TX in my 20’s. The owner of the first place I worked walked up to me one morning and confides that his wife is from WV, then adds “Can you eat a meal without potatoes in it?”.

I like mashed potatoes, but I like them cooked skin on and mashed by hand with the appropriate tool, not whipped into a frothy paste as most people here (I’m back in WV) are wont to do.

Alas I put myself on a low carb diet over a year ago so pretty much anything white is off the menu.

We all laugh at my SIL who is a wee slip of a woman, she’ll eat herself into a coma at Thanksgiving, sleep for an hour or two then rise from the dead and fix another plate heavy with stuffing and mashed potatoes before passing out again. She does it every year.

User Tag List