4 3.92%
  • Apple Pie

0 0%
  • Other

3 2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Worstest Thanksgiving Dish Ever

I love sweet potatoes. Topping them with marshmallows should be a felony. Coming anywhere near them with a bottle of Karo, for any reason but making a pie, should see the offender tossed from an aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I love sweet potatoes. Topping them with marshmallows should be a felony. Coming anywhere near them with a bottle of Karo, for any reason but making a pie, should see the offender tossed from an aircraft.
    My MIL had a bottle of Karo syrup in her cupboard. I pointed to the ingredients being basically industrial strength high fructose corn syrup. Milady cringed and yelled “Mom! You’ve been trying to kill us all these years!”.

I can do marshmallows but really just cinnamon, butter and brown sugar on my sweet taters please.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Texas supermarket chain HEB has BBQ restaurants in some of their stores. They do roasted Brussels sprouts which are the best Brussels sprouts I’ve had, hands down.

@JM Campbell can opine as he’s had them as well.

Recipe here:

https://www.heb.com/recipe/recipe-it.../1398803976312
    I'll have to try that recipe. We roast them in the oven tossed with oil, salt and pepper. Really tasty but they do smell. You'll want to keep the windows open while they cook.

Mom used to make yams or sweet potatoes with marshmallows and try to pass it off as dessert. Horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Texas supermarket chain HEB has BBQ restaurants in some of their stores. They do roasted Brussels sprouts which are the best Brussels sprouts I’ve had, hands down.
    @JM Campbell can opine as he’s had them as well.

Recipe here:

https://www.heb.com/recipe/recipe-it.../1398803976312
    Yes they are very good. That’s actually what got me to start doing them on my own pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Do we need another thread to start the, "Bread or cornbread dressing debate"?

Worstest Thanksgiving Dish Ever

Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post
    I'll have to try that recipe. We roast them in the oven tossed with oil, salt and pepper. Really tasty but they do smell. You'll want to keep the windows open while they cook.

Mom used to make yams or sweet potatoes with marshmallows and try to pass it off as dessert. Horrible.
    I make a balsamic glaze with balsamic vinegar (you can spruce it up with various different flavored ones) honey, Dijon mustard, olive oil, minced garlic and top with crispy bacon and pour it over the top of the brussel sprouts . It’s a huge winner at the get bbq togethers.

ETA: try smoked paprika with your salt and pepper on the sprouts. Adds great extra flavor and color to the dish.

AKA: SkyLine1

Green Bean Casserole can be disposed of. Recently had the misfortune of being exposed to minced meat pie. Eeeeuuughhh!!!
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

The Pilgrims would have turned around and went back home if they knew we'd be serving green bean casserole on Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Will somebody kindly let me know when we decide to have a civil war based on whether or not corn bread should have sugar added to the recipe.
    I can go either way on it. You use molasses?

Quote Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
    Not much there to dislike, but my #1 wasn't split out. I *like* the jellied cranberry sauce, but I hate the stuff with raw berries, sticks, twigs, pinecones (so it seems) made in a grinder . . .

Never had creamed onions, but doesn't give me an urge thinking about it.

Brussel sprouts, that's a favorite!
    The in-laws do the creamed onions. They are a family of amazing cooks and I consider it an honor to assist in the kitchen. BIL is actually a pro chef. But creamed onions are foul.

Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post
    This is the best way to do sprouts, IMO. I can't stand when people make it sweet, and then waste perfectly good bacon by mixing it in.

My stepmother upon joining my family learned that she had 3 men in her life suddenly who didn't care for sweet things, but wanted enough spice to make you breathe fire. Her cranberry sauce done with the liberal inclusion of jalapenos and cilantro is incredible. The only way I like it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    I make a balsamic glaze with balsamic vinegar (you can spruce it up with various different flavored ones) honey, Dijon mustard, olive oil, minced garlic and top with crispy bacon and pour it over the top of the brussel sprouts . It’s a huge winner at the get bbq togethers.

ETA: try smoked paprika with your salt and pepper on the sprouts. Adds great extra flavor and color to the dish.

That sounds pretty good. My wife makes a balsamic glaze, that i think is balsamic vinegar, butter, and soy, for roasted asparagus. I usually do the sprouts and never thought of a glaze for them.

User Tag List