0 0%
  • Other

3 2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Worstest Thanksgiving Dish Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    This guy gets it.

And, WTF is a creamed onion? I think that I might be really glad that I don’t know...
    I’d never heard of creamed onions until this thread started either. I don’t think I’m going to look it up, already sounds disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    If I catch you putting nuts or raisins if stuffing I will wipe your blood line from the face of the earth. I can live with celery and onion if you chop it small enough instead of throwing in huge chunks. For the sake of being contentious I'll say that I like stuffing with black olives in it.

And when I make a sammich with the leftover turkey, I'm putting mayonnaise on it.
    Miracle Whip for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Miracle Whip for me.
    +1

There is no better option!

I've never heard of creamed onions before this thread. Just the idea makes me think that I would have to take a hard "pass" on them.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Brussels Sprouts are vile and disgusting.

THE END

PS - Pumpkin Pie sucks too.
    Blasphemer!

I will having nothing said against Pumpking Pie. It's flavor is only surpassed with vanilla ice cream. You could probably say the only reason I stuck around through the Turkey in dinners past was because of pie and ice cream to follow.

PS we are in accord on Brussels Sprouts. They should be nuked from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

I just googled creamed onions. I'm going to make them.

Site Supporter
    Roasted Brussels sprouts are excellent. A bit of oil, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, dice up some bacon and onions, mix and roast at 425'F for about 30 minutes. Drizzle on some Balsamic vinegar before serving.

Just made these yesterday. Leftovers for lunch today.

We like to roast cauliflower and broccoli the same way, but no vinegar at the end.

Sprouts are also great raw, shredded similar to cole slaw, a little oil and vinegar, with pine nuts (or sunflower seeds), grated Parmesan and whatever seasonings you like.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Love roasted sprouts -- had them this week, but the kid hogged most of them.

There's a place near Fenton Michigan called The Laundry. It is generally outstanding, but they had a dish (just looked for it on their online menu, looks like they got hammered by COVid) that involved sprouts, bacon, and mushrooms (crimini) roasted in butter in a small cast iron skillet, with gruyere melted over it before serving. Total face melter.

Site Supporter
    Gun to head: Pumpkin Pie. It's okay but most of the time I've had it, the pie was nothing more than a whipped cream/ice cream delivery vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I've never had a truly awful thanksgiving dish. I have had good dishes prepared ineptly by talentless or palate-deprived cooks.

Thankfully, this has almost never been a case with any of my family.
    That's pretty much my take on it as well. I loved everything my family cooked growing up but after I got out on my own I realize that . . . my family really didn't cook a lot of things really well and relied really heavily on canned stuff and margarine (I loath margarine to this day, you won't find that shit in my house, real butter or GTFO).

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Texas supermarket chain HEB has BBQ restaurants in some of their stores. They do roasted Brussels sprouts which are the best Brussels sprouts I’ve had, hands down.

@JM Campbell can opine as he’s had them as well.

Recipe here:

https://www.heb.com/recipe/recipe-it.../1398803976312
    That's close to what I do with my roasted brussels sprouts. Slice them in half, toss them in olive oil (or bacon grease because bacon) with some garlic, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika, spread them out on a sheet pan and top with some chopped bacon, and roast them. I usually have to make a double batch if I want leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Will somebody kindly let me know when we decide to have a civil war based on whether or not corn bread should have sugar added to the recipe.

Here’s a hint it’s not called corn cake, or served as a dessert.
    Preach it, good sir!
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I can go either way on it. You use molasses?
    You sir remind me of the Ferryman in the Outlaw Josey Wales.

im strong, i can run faster than train

I know I'm in the minority here but unless you've lost your teeth or they haven't come in yet, mashed potatoes are a bullshit waste of carbs. May as well be tofu. At least you get to chew that flavorless, semisolid. "So buttery!" Yeah, you don't like mashed potatoes that much. You really just like those condiments but you'd look like a mental patient treating that salted butter stick like a Baby Ruth.

User Tag List