Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: 100 is the new 350

Rifleman Lanny Bassham, 1976 Olympic Gold Medalist, did nothing but dry fire on his way to winning National and World Championships for a two year period circa 1977-78. Yes, pistol has demands different than rifle, but working on the mental game and dry fire execution can take care of the majority of the overall equation for accomplished shooters. Couple that with alternatives like air soft, CO2 pistols, etc, and you have a lot of what’s needed to get through the next few years.

I have enough ammunition to get by for two years at my normal training rate, and can easily stretch that to five years as needed. But “making empties” is a much lower priority for me- dry fire with a laser cartridge has me at a significant percentage of my normal performance. Just being a lot more selective about how I use live ammo now.

I sympathize with those who are just trying to get started now. They won’t have the base built by 50K correctly shot rounds/year for a few years, as I once did. But I see this as an opportunity to create new training methods that can rise to the situations.

Site Supporter
    “Well... there’s “Gun Guys”, and then there are serious shooters.
    I’d opine that “Gun Guys” like to have cool guns, and sometimes shoot them. Serious shooters, on the other hand, are committed to skill development, which requires training and practice, which requires ammunition.”

That’s s good way to put it. I know a few guys who always like to have some gun related project to work on, but don’t shoot very much.

I can’t believe it, but I just paid $700 per thousand for 3000 rounds of Federal 150 Syntech 150 from SG ammo.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I can’t believe it, but I just paid $700 per thousand for 3000 rounds of Federal 150 Syntech 150 from SG ammo.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqUlQ7NukU
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Pre-stupidity HST prices. I bought a couple thousand Syntech 150’s for 0.50/round and felt unhappy about it a few weeks ago. I think we will all be adjusting our expectations for both training volume, and what we pay for live ammo, for the next year or so. If we’re lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Pre-stupidity HST prices. I bought a couple thousand Syntech 150’s for 0.50/round and felt unhappy about it a few weeks ago. I think we will all be adjusting our expectations for both training volume, and what we pay for live ammo, for the next year or so. If we’re lucky.
    Yep. While not exactly happy with 0.62 a round, at least I was able to buy it online, and not by the box, having to wait for a background check, at my local gun store.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Yep. While not exactly happy with 0.62 a round, at least I was able to buy it online, and not by the box, having to wait for a background check, at my local gun store.
    You need a background check to buy ammo in stores in Florida?? I had no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    You need a background check to buy ammo in stores in Florida?? I had no idea.
    Sorry, bad joke.

No background check is currently required to buy ammo in FL.

I have plenty of pistol ammo, but want to keep it that way. Glad I reload.

My approach of late has simply been, massively increase my dry fire routine, including all manipulations, reloads, draws, etc. (Side note: as I type, I realize I should've been doing more of this all along!)

So doing that, daily, then just once every week or two, go out and do two or three obscenely low round count drills, just to gauge and track performance.

One day will be a FAST test, a Bill Drill, and a 3M Test, and that's IT. I hate doing things this way, because I love shooting, but we don't know what's around the corner right now, and this way I'm maintaining proficiency.

Lately I see a Drill of the Week that's 30 rounds or more, and say no way. Just how it is for now.

Site Supporter
    I average one short range trip a week and my limit for CF ammo is fifty rounds.
    If I can accomplish my meager objective with less, so much the better.
    If any additional shooting is done, it is with my G44 or Henry H001 .22 lever gun.
    At my current rate of consumption, I have enough loaded CF handgun ammo and components to last about four years.
    5.56/30-06/.308/30-30 rounds and components on hand will most likely last me the rest of my days since my CF rifle shooting is sporadic at best. Two full fifty caliber ammo cans of .22 LR will keep the G44 and Henry fed for quite a while.
    Included with the massive reloading/gun stuff estate buy in 2019 are about a thousand .177 pellets but no pellet rifle.
    This can be done in the backyard wit a suitable backstop.
    Time to drink from the pellet rifle research fire hose..

User Tag List