Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 100 is the new 350

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I can’t believe it, but I just paid $700 per thousand for 3000 rounds of Federal 150 Syntech 150 from SG ammo.
    My cousin paid about that for a case of 9mm ball in NC.
    And he is not really a shooter.
    I would be surprised if he has ever shot more than a box through his pistol.

I shot 120 rounds of American Eagle 115 at my local indoor range today.

It didn't occur to me until just now that if I had to pay for their retail range ammo, that would have cost me almost $100.

Geez.

I shot one FAST drill, cold, then exactly six draws/singles on the head of an FBI bottle, 7yds.

That's it! On one hand, I'm discovering a Spartan-like discipline with all this dedicated low round count work, but on the other hand, my shooting does suffer a little due to lack thereof.

Greg Ellifritz has a rundown of some low round count drills:

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...hooting-drills
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

No shot at you but a lot of those drills look like TERRIBLE choices of drill to run if you have limited ammo. There are drills on that list with over 20 rounds fired in a single string. That is enough shooting that typical shooter is not going to get much training value out of those rounds simply because there is so much continuous shooting that they won't remember half of what they saw behind the gun once the string is over. There are also drills with multiple strings, which may be good for testing your skills, but if the goal is to analyze your technique and improve it, it is a lot easier when you run the exact same procedure multiple times rather than shoot 3 strings with different procedures.

IMO stuff like 20+ rounds in 1 string or multiple strings as part of 1 drill indicate to me that people don't fully understand how improving at shooting works. To maximize training value per round you need to understand more and more of what happened with each round you fired. Stuff like this is totally counterproductive.
    Last edited by Eyesquared; 04-13-2021 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    No shot at you but a lot of those drills look like TERRIBLE choices of drill to run if you have limited ammo. There are drills on that list with over 20 rounds fired in a single string. That is enough shooting that typical shooter is not going to get much training value out of those rounds simply because there is so much continuous shooting that they won't remember half of what they saw behind the gun once the string is over. There are also drills with multiple strings, which may be good for testing your skills, but if the goal is to analyze your technique and improve it, it is a lot easier when you run the exact same procedure multiple times rather than shoot 3 strings with different procedures.

IMO stuff like 20+ rounds in 1 string or multiple strings as part of 1 drill indicate to me that people don't fully understand how improving at shooting works. To maximize training value per round you need to understand more and more of what happened with each round you fired. Stuff like this is totally counterproductive.
    Fire away with some more useful drill recommendations!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Fire away with some more useful drill recommendations!
    I hate to recommend drills without explaining WHY those drills are good, and I have to add the caveat that it all depends on what your goals are. Anyways, the way I think about shooting is that this isn't bodybuilding where you just move the metal around and your body grows in your sleep, in shooting at some point you have to actually change technique and ingrain new behavior to get different results. Yes, we can keep using the same technique and myelination will help us to do the motions faster, with better timing, and more precisely, but if you myelinate an ineffective way of doing something, then you'll be hard stuck at a plateau until you change the underlying technique. So everyone should ideally be choosing drills with an eye to understanding what's happening in their shooting and then ingraining the technique they choose to use. When I go to the range I have an idea of what I want to improve in my shooting and then I work backwards from that to pick drills I will use.

I am partial to Ben Stoeger's training material as following his methods has taken me from middle of the pack at club matches to top 2-3 at my local match within my first full season of shooting USPSA. For the purposes of defensive shooting just working on the gunhandling drills in his dryfire book and then doing the trigger control at speed exercise and the slow fire trigger control exercise will easily make someone an above average shooter.

For grip and recoil control I like his Doubles drill, where you shoot pairs at a predetermined splitting pace. He says 4 pairs per string, with a pause between each, for a total of 8 rounds. You can take as much time as you want on the draw to make sure your grip is the way you actually like it. It sounds super basic but when you just look at recoil control in isolation like that, you can see a lot more of what is happening and make a clear, direct connection between changes in technique and the resulting hits on target.

For transitions I don't really use any preset drills, I'll set up different arrays of targets each time I work on them. The exception to that is that I like Ben's Accelerator drill for learning what I need to do at each distance to get good hits at speed. I also like shooting Blake drills to just push the speed and see how fast I can go and still shoot half decent points. But in general, when I am working on transitions, my technique goals are to lead with my eyes on every transition, and to stop the gun cleanly with no overswing past the target. So I can work on those goals with just about any kind of target arrangement.

For gunhandling like draws and reloads I don't really do any specific drills, I just dryfire that. The only caveat is that I like to do a Bill drill every once in a while to see if the grip I am getting after the draw is good enough or if I have to take more time to adjust.

For movement I just set up arrays of targets and put sticks down to denote shooting positions. I will practice shooting 1 array, moving, and then shooting another array. Just like with the transitions, I have technique goals I am focused on (details depend on distance of movement and target distances) and I can work on those with almost any target arrangement. I will add that Ben's Bar Hop drill is really easy to set up and is good for getting used to shooting while your lower body is in motion. Matt Pranka from X-Ray Alpha has a good video of it on his instagram.

User Tag List