Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 100 is the new 350

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Still, where's that good old American capitalistic response to an opportunity to make honest money by fulfilling what appears to be a significant demand.
    Setting up a production line is not trivial. That's very specialized machinery. I doubt that anyone has a warehouse full of industrial reloading equipment just waiting for a buyer.

If you want to set up some Dillon 750s in your garage, go for it!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am still waiting for an informed and thoughtful analysis. At the range today, someone told me that the government was controlling primers, although they couldn’t explain how.
    Sounds like the cousin to a guy I ran into at Lowes back during the Sandy Hook rush that told me "The government was buying up all of the ammunition and sinking it as an artificial reef off the coast of Sandy Hook." I stopped wearing shirts with my employer's logo/name on them out in public after that encounter . . .
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Site Supporter
    I have significantly curtailed my shooting of all types this year. When I do go, a .22 or reloads are the bulk to total of rounds expended, unless I am shooting a shotgun.

There is a reason I bought a G44 round about the 1st of March. Should have ordered those cases of 9mm I was prepping for just when it all went into the toilet.

I have not been to any kind of match since March, and don’t have any plans to go until after my deer season, so mid December to January.

I’m somewhat self-limited due to age and previous back injury from shooting too many SD rounds in a single session. I need to be careful and not do that again.

Having said that, I’m certainly not blowing ammo out these days either. Each range session I aim to focus on something specific. Oddly enough lately they *are* 80-100 rounds max. That’s been with smaller carry guns, which give me more felt recoil than bigger pistols.

In the spirit of limiting ammo expenditure but retaining some training value, I did try and come up with a 20 round Dot Torture Target that I put in the paper target thread. A member asked for a DA/SA so I added one of those. I’ve tried it a few times, concluding 1) DT is hard and 2) I need to do it more often. I just never did it much, since 50 rounds was a big chunk of ammo to prove that I do suck.
    Last edited by RJ; 11-13-2020 at 08:09 PM.

My wife recently got these “Max Michel” targets off Amazon. Besides being nifty targets, they are labeled with a 50 round drill that trains a number of different skills.

Name:  2DB71D65-3F15-45D8-B7AF-75389D97BFE7.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  37.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

People who live out west know that you never take just one Mormon friend fishing because they will drink all your beer. The corollary to this, is my wife says we can never go shooting alone now, because she’s worried one of us will shoot up too much of our ammo.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've definitely rationed my pistol shooting, but I'm spending a lot more time at wobble trap.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    People who live out west know that you never take just one Mormon friend fishing because they will drink all your beer. The corollary to this, is my wife says we can never go shooting alone now, because she’s worried one of us will shoot up too much of our ammo.
    You can still buy ammo!
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I’m going to take a shit ton of hate for this - but here goes

Gun guys as whole (forgive the Generalization) are the most unprepared, can’t follow their own advice group of people I’ve ever known.

For The 20 years that I’ve been reasonably serious about Firearms&training I’ve heard the phrase “2 is one” repeated about every aspect of the activity.

I’m not trying to be rude or sound like an elitist - I’m really not.

But. We knew. You knew. You’d tell everyone that you know that you know that someday - probably sooner than later that ammo and supplies were going to be harder and harder to find.

Who actually prepared for? Who bought 2 cases instead of one?

Yea. Not many.

And income can’t really be the scapegoat we want it to be......Not any more than lack of time can be a scapegoat for being out of shape

Who skipped their favorite Liquor - or quit smoking - or sold off useless things to get ahead? Again I’d wager not many

Site Supporter
    Well... there’s “Gun Guys”, and then there are serious shooters.
    I’d opine that “Gun Guys” like to have cool guns, and sometimes shoot them. Serious shooters, on the other hand, are committed to skill development, which requires training and practice, which requires ammunition.

Now, take a “serious shooter” who has experienced an ammunition shortage (post-Newtown shooting in my case), and you get someone who takes steps to never be short of ammo again. For newer guys, 2020 will be their learning experience.

While some can gain experience and wisdom vicariously (as in, listening to others), much of it needs to come from experience.
    Many otherwise-smart shooters are learning from the experience of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I’m going to take a shit ton of hate for this - but here goes

Gun guys as whole (forgive the Generalization) are the most unprepared, can’t follow their own advice group of people I’ve ever known.

For The 20 years that I’ve been reasonably serious about Firearms&training I’ve heard the phrase “2 is one” repeated about every aspect of the activity.

I’m not trying to be rude or sound like an elitist - I’m really not.

But. We knew. You knew. You’d tell everyone that you know that you know that someday - probably sooner than later that ammo and supplies were going to be harder and harder to find.

Who actually prepared for? Who bought 2 cases instead of one?

Yea. Not many.

And income can’t really be the scapegoat we want it to be......Not any more than lack of time can be a scapegoat for being out of shape

Who skipped their favorite Liquor - or quit smoking - or sold off useless things to get ahead? Again I’d wager not many

User Tag List