Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with SBS

Help with SBS

I'm looking for some advice from the brain trust here. The first gun I purchased was a 20" rem 870 Police Magnum (circa mid 90s). It was my HD gun (and only gun) for a long time, and now just sits there looking sad and neglected.

• For fun I'm sending it to Wilson / Scattergun Tech to make it handier as a HD and woods gun shooting a mix of slugs and buckshot. Here's what I'm planning:
    • 14" barrel
    • Whatever mag extension that the 14" barrel can support
    • Install the trak lock Ghost ring sights with a tritium front sight.

I intend on reinstalling the original wood furniture it came with. Anything else I should consider?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    I'm looking for some advice from the brain trust here. The first gun I purchased was a 20" rem 870 Police Magnum (circa mid 90s). It was my HD gun (and only gun) for a long time, and now just sits there looking sad and neglected.

• For fun I'm sending it to Wilson / Scattergun Tech to make it handier as a HD and woods gun shooting a mix of slugs and buckshot. Here's what I'm planning:
    • 14" barrel
    • Whatever mag extension that the 14" barrel can support
    • Install the trak lock Ghost ring sights with a tritium front sight.

I intend on reinstalling the original wood furniture it came with. Anything else I should consider?
    Have you considered a red dot optic mount or rifle sights in lieu of the ghost ring sights?

If going Ghost ring, have you considered the Haught mod 1/2 ring ?

If it helps, I probably have a few extra 870 14 inch barrels around, with Vang Comp treatment, NP3 and adjustable height post front sights that mate with a rear ghost ring.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Chop the stock so it has a 12.5” LOP after you add a Limbsaver recoil pad.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Chop the stock so it has a 12.5” LOP after you add a Limbsaver recoil pad.
    Either what Lon says, or better yet go with a Magpul stock that will help tame the liveliness of a 14 inch with heavy loads.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Have Wilson cut the stock down to your preferred length and install a new pad. Might as well while it's in there, right?

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Have you considered a red dot optic mount or rifle sights in lieu of the ghost ring sights?

If going Ghost ring, have you considered the Haught mod 1/2 ring ?
    Not a red dot – just not really interested at this time. May be short-sighted, I know.

Wilson just does the ghost rings, so that’s why I haven’t really considered the rifle sights. I did see the RH u-notch – looks cool, what is the actual benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Either what Lon says, or better yet go with a Magpul stock that will help tame the liveliness of a 14 inch with heavy loads.
    This is what I would do, but it sounded like you wanted to keep the wood.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If it helps, I probably have a few extra 870 14 inch barrels around, with Vang Comp treatment, NP3 and adjustable height post front sights that mate with a rear ghost ring.
    I think that would be awesome but trying to think of the practicality / logistics of buying a barrel of you, getting my stamp, and sending the receiver off for the rear ring.

I will say that your 14” 870s have been an inspiration for what I’m trying to accomplish with this shotgun.

Not a red dot – just not really interested at this time. May be short-sighted, I know.

Wilson just does the ghost rings, so that’s why I haven’t really considered the rifle sights. I did see the RH u-notch – looks cool, what is the actual benefit?
    Dad finds it to be a bit faster than the full aperture, but that may be just a matter of personal preference on his part. Everyone's eyes are a bit different after all. I do think it makes a big difference in speed and uncluttering the sight picture if you're running a red dot with co-witnessed irons, but as you said, you're not looking to run a dot on it. In that case, the Wilson ghost rings should do you just fine.

Here's a link to a P&S modcast we were on a few years back, where he explains his thoughts behind it.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

User Tag List