Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Best Practices for On-Body IFAK?

RFI: Best Practices for On-Body IFAK?

I’m looking for carry options for an on-body IFAK (individual first aid kit) that I can have “on me” during a USPSA stage. I’m not a EMT/Paramedic, nor a Dr. I do have some training (WFA, CPR, GSW/Stop the Bleed).

I currently attach my C-A-T TQ in a phlster flatpack to my CR Speed Belt, strong side, behind the holster. I plan to add an Israeli bandage, and some clotting agent, but not sure where’s the best place to put it. Or do I just shove it all in a spare available pocket? I’m planning on not carrying my wallet next match, so maybe I have an opening there. Ankle kit is an option I guess, but seems kinda a PITA.

I don’t really want a lot more stuff because my plan would be stop the bleed and either get the victim mas rapido to the ER, or activate EMS, and wait for the cavalry to come.

So, what do you have with you during a match on your body? And how do you carry it?

For the sake of this discussion, I don’t mean ‘stuff in your range bag’ I mean what you have on you if/when HOLY SHIT THAT GUYS JUST BEEN SHOT happens on a stage

Bonus round question: Is there something I should have beyond a TQ, clotting agent and a bandage?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by RJ; 11-10-2020 at 09:34 PM.

I actually really like ankle rigs and wear an SFD Responder every day. The key, I think, is finding one you like and packing it with the right kit - meaning not overloading it. Mine just has a SOFTT-W, one pack of Combat Gauze, an H&H compact pressure bandage, gloves, and a little Gerber rescue hook. No chest seals, no extra gauze, no tape. If I need more, there are almost always kits near me in my day pack, car, range bag, go bag, my range’s posted IFAKs, and/or the home kit.

On that note, something Chuck Pressburg has mentioned specifically regarding range prep is that he really only worries about having a TQ on him, and has a full IFAK in his range bag. His logic is that the TQ is probably the only thing that you may not be able to wait 30 seconds to retrieve - someone can run and get gauze, seals, pressure bandages, etc. while you’re applying a TQ or otherwise prepping for the other stuff. If someone’s bleeding out of their femoral, you have the one thing you need RIGHT NOW on you. So that’s also an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I actually really like ankle rigs and wear an SFD Responder every day. The key, I think, is finding one you like and packing it with the right kit - meaning not overloading it. Mine just has a SOFTT-W, one pack of Combat Gauze, an H&H compact pressure bandage, gloves, and a little Gerber rescue hook. No chest seals, no extra gauze, no tape. If I need more, there are almost always kits near me in my day pack, car, range bag, go bag, my range’s posted IFAKs, and/or the home kit.

On that note, something Chuck Pressburg has mentioned specifically regarding range prep is that he really only worries about having a TQ on him, and has a full IFAK in his range bag. His logic is that the TQ is probably the only thing that you may not be able to wait 30 seconds to retrieve - someone can run and get gauze, seals, pressure bandages, etc. while you’re applying a TQ or otherwise prepping for the other stuff. If someone’s bleeding out of their femoral, you have the one thing you need RIGHT NOW on you. So that’s also an option.
    Thanks, Mr. Pressburg has a great point.

I ended up with the TQ being on my game belt for that reason.

Name:  305505A9-6B26-4E9D-B95B-B5A0138F4694.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  78.1 KB

I found a kind of ‘pouch’ I slipped a pack of Celox and a bandage wrap (it might be an H&H) in. It’s about wallet size, so the plan is to leave my wallet in the car and just carry the pouch in it’s place.

Thanks for the tip on SFD ankle kit, I’ll look into that.

I use the ryker ankle IFAK and I absolutely love it. Its my edc, competition ifac and comes with me to every class I take. I hate things in my pockets so for me an ankle kit is the way to go.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

@Elwin, In the picture of the SFD Responder Kit below, do you know what the circled item is?

Name:  539579C3-3783-47E3-A85E-1D41987FD2A0.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  59.5 KB

I got an ankle kit from a PF member here.

https://www.rykernylongear.com/

@Pennzoil
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

That’s a rescue hook, looks like the smaller Benchmade offering. It serves the same purpose as the Gerber one I have - the “hook” contains a razor sharp blade that’s for cutting clothing to allow wound access for treatment. Attached is a pic of my SFD as it currently sits on my leg at work, with the Gerber hook up front.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    That’s a rescue hook, looks like the smaller Benchmade offering. It serves the same purpose as the Gerber one I have - the “hook” contains a razor sharp blade that’s for cutting clothing to allow wound access for treatment. Attached is a pic of my SFD as it currently sits on my leg at work, with the Gerber hook up front.
    Thanks, I think I found the Benchmade.

https://www.grainger.com/product/BEN...recommendation

Name:  4C98165D-0521-46B2-8622-ECFFF810E760.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  35.6 KB

I usually carry my mini-Grip with me. Is the rescue cutter something you’d add to an ifak for a .civ guy? I have a couple pairs of trauma shears already but they are a bit big, so they’re in the med pocket of my range bag.

To be clear, I'm as .civ as it gets, so I'd say they're worth it for us normies. To me, the hook vs. shears is an either/or, and I use the hook for kits that are too small to fit shears in. I'm ready to be corrected by anyone who knows more than I do.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks, I think I found the Benchmade.
    You can buy via eBay for about $15.
    I suppose eBay may be prone to fakes, but, the two I've purchased were plenty sharp.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Benchmade-7...EAAOSwiZZblHIy
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List