Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Guided Sharpening System from Worksharp

Just added it to my Christmas list
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Looks like a decent setup for the average knife user
    . It seems to offer a decent array of stones, although I would still want a loaded strop handy.

That said, I really enjoy the clamp-less design of the Edge Pro Apex. The table design works better for me with a wider range of knife sizes and styles. But the price for entry is higher, depending on the stones purchased.

Looks like the system might not lend its to aftermarket stones, but if it got popular enough you’d see people coming out with ways to affix then. You can get an array of high end Japanese waterstones for the KME and Edge Pro. But those systems are much more expensive.

But for $49, the 3 stones included will serve most people. You can use the guided system and then strop freehand. Due to the give of the leather, balsa etc, you don’t have to be perfect with the angle.

And in the Amazon Q&A, Worksharp says they are considering coming out with additional stones. A finer diamond would be nice for the modern super steels. 600# is still pretty coarse. Then it jumps to 3k ceramic.
    Last edited by Rocky Racoon; 11-12-2020 at 04:53 PM.

I like the screw adjustment for angle vs holes that force a specific angle. Nice that it is ceramic and diamond without upgrading.

If it uses its own stones it would be a pass for me and would still prefer the sharpmaker at that price point. But if it uses stone for KmE then it seems like a great beginner setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I wonder if it would work with that steep Microtech bevel..
    I sharpened a socom on a fixed system so it should do it with no problem. The steep bevel tends to be from thick grinds. Surprisingly my socom is thinner behind the edge than a PM2.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

It's excellent for the price--for a new sharpener or anybody who doesn't want to bother with freehand, and doesn't want to get the much better Wicked Edge Go (around $200)--this is probably a good sharpener to start with. At around $49, it cost less than some of the individual stones I use for freehand sharpening, and does a pretty impressive job. I've used Sharpmaker for years and this seems like it could be a better system. But time will tell if it's made with quality, if things don't start falling off, etc. The Sharpmaker is pretty robust, and you can get a pretty good variety of aftermarket stones if you want. However it's limited to only 2 angle and takes super long to profile edges, it really should be called SharpKeeper.

My review on bladeforums:
    https://bladeforums.com/threads/new-...#post-20142649
    Last edited by maximus83; 11-18-2020 at 02:09 AM.

User Tag List