Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice - new home PC

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Current PC:
    Windows 10 Home
    AMD AB-5500 APU, 3.20 GHZ
    24 GB RAM (I put in all I could cram in)
    1 TB

Maybe I am ok?
    Add SSD?
    Grab a 1TB SSD and a copy of Acronis and just clone your existing drive to your new SSD. Boot from new SSD. Done.

An optiplex seems to meet the needs. Check newegg

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Grab a 1TB SSD and a copy of Acronis and just clone your existing drive to your new SSD. Boot from new SSD. Done.
    Even better, go with Macrium Reflect Free. I've upgraded dozens of systems from spinny disk to SSD using Macrium.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    Even better, go with Macrium Reflect Free. I've upgraded dozens of systems from spinny disk to SSD using Macrium.
    This!

Your CPU is entirely adequate and then some. Same for RAM.

Swap to a good SSD and be done. Macrium will save you a lot of hassle.

Install SSD as secondary, mirror image from HDD to SSD. Swap SSD to primary. Win.

Spend savings on bourbon.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I just got 4 of these for my office and they're aces. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Much like building an AR, you could likely build a better one for less but you have to know what you're doing (which I don't). But honestly, these are great. They seem to be beyond capable for mundane work stuff - running multiple Office apps and browsers.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    An optiplex seems to meet the needs. Check newegg
    Those are decent for the stated use. Also, Dell's Precision series are a good bargain for anyone wanting something with years of lifespan and tons of room for upgrades. Many of those can take over 128gb of RAM and Xeon (server grade) CPUs.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

I've been using Transcend (as it is cheaper) for a lot of time and it was ok for almost everything I needed. Until once it wasn't recognized on the computer. I tried several times and on different computers and it also didn't work. I had a small panic attack back then as I thought I lost all my uni documents. I appealed to professionals, to make a DATA RECOVERY, and thank god the guys helped me.

User Tag List