Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Comfortable AIWB

Time will help and make a huge difference. First time I tried to AIWB in public was a j-frame in a holster from a very well respected maker. I had to go to the restroom halfway through a meal to move the thing to 3:30. Today that exact same holster is one of my favorite AIWB setups. What changed? I got used to the sensation of having something there. Nothing more, nothing less.

Other things have happened such as me moving away from negative cant to a straight drop, a distinct preference for longer holsters on semi autos. Lately I’ve begun using the foam pad from JM Custom Kydex that’s not angled, just a flat pad. For whatever reason I’m finding it the ultimate in comfort these days.

All this is to say that AIWB is a journey and your tastes will likely change. Another note, the other day I put on an old favorite 3:30-4:30 IWB holster I used to carry with a lot. Turns out now I don’t like the sensation of a gun on my right hip. I didn’t get out of the house before I went back to an appendix rig.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Forget about dropping it down in your belt line - you may as well pocket carry that point.

Aiwb should provide one with a totally unimpeded firing grip at any speed/standing or sitting using a full size gun

Dropping it super low in your belt line is part of the discomfort factor. This is why guys are saying longer gun and longer kydex

I'm not sure I follow here, and I apologize if I'm belaboring the obvious. Was the question about carrying closer to the belt line or actually dropping below the belt line? I have one holster (Silent Thunder from Garrett for Glock 26) that rides close to the belt. The grip of the pistol is completely above the belt, but I don't have as much clearance for my fingers as I do on my DSG or JMCK holsters. Consequently, establishing my grip, and thus my draw, takes longer. Because of the lower ride height, the G26 in this holster conceals a little better for me than a G19 in DSG/JMCK. It's definitely a trade off though, as my draw is slower, capacity is lower, sight radius is shorter that a G19 in a JMCK/DSG, but it's still better for me than a J-frame.

Sinking lower in the belt would be Dale Fricke's Jonathan (LINK). I view that as a niche holster, and it's not something I've ever needed. I have a JMCK Universal for my G43 that works very well for when I'm most concerned about concealment. This holster also rides close to the belt. I'm about 0.5 seconds slower on the draw with my G43 in the Universal than I am with my G19 in a Wing Claw.

Site Supporter
    I'm still trying to perfect my AIWB setup, but I've found that...

-Higher ride means more comfort (especially when sitting) and better draw.

-Lower ride means better concealability.

To date, riding the grip down close to the beltline is the only way I've gotten adequate concealability AIWB. Anything higher, and it's very conspicuous (I've tried two JMs, a JRC and Mastermind Tactics). I've got a wedge and DCC monoblock clips on the way for my JM George and I hope that solves it. I had settled into using generic soft holsters at about 1:00 because they ride lower. When I had sit/drive, I would just hike the gun up an inch or two in the holster to get it front of my belly. I was reasonably content with this approach, but recent events have made me want to get a more stable, secure setup.

I carry a G26 about 90% of the time and prefer a G17 length holster with a high ride height. The length gives me leverage below the belt to prevent roll-out and the high ride height allows me to still draw the short grip quickly.

The j-frame is carried the other 10% in a Dark Star Gear holster that follows the same principle. When I line up the mounting clips, both holsters appear to be about the same length.

Anything wide (wing) or bulky (foam wedge) are really uncomfortable for me, but the length is fine with the holster slightly off center “straddling” the belt loop. The j-frame is typically only carried when not wearing a belt.

Short grips work better for me for concealment and for how active I am with my small children. You should also weigh your lifestyle, work requirements, etc. and don’t get too hung up with carrying what a handful of people online are carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I'm not sure I follow here, and I apologize if I'm belaboring the obvious. Was the question about carrying closer to the belt line or actually dropping below the belt line? I have one holster (Silent Thunder from Garrett for Glock 26) that rides close to the belt. The grip of the pistol is completely above the belt, but I don't have as much clearance for my fingers as I do on my DSG or JMCK holsters. Consequently, establishing my grip, and thus my draw, takes longer. Because of the lower ride height, the G26 in this holster conceals a little better for me than a G19 in DSG/JMCK. It's definitely a trade off though, as my draw is slower, capacity is lower, sight radius is shorter that a G19 in a JMCK/DSG, but it's still better for me than a J-frame.

Sinking lower in the belt would be Dale Fricke's Jonathan (LINK). I view that as a niche holster, and it's not something I've ever needed. I have a JMCK Universal for my G43 that works very well for when I'm most concerned about concealment. This holster also rides close to the belt. I'm about 0.5 seconds slower on the draw with my G43 in the Universal than I am with my G19 in a Wing Claw.
    I may have misread it - taking it that the gun was lowered in the belt line - obscuring a repeatable firing grip.

Only chiming in because I have a similar body size to the OP (hair under 6’ 4” and 225), and want to share my experience carryon AIWB so far. The only holster I’ve found to really work for me is an AIWB specific holster, the JM Custom Wing Claw 2.5 with the dcc clips. I’m carrying a P09 and I have no issue with the grip printing like previous holsters I’ve used, at both AIWB and normal 9-7 positions (left handed). I don’t used a wedge, tried it and didn’t find it necessary with the slide length. I typically carry 11-11:30 position on the belt, and can comfortably drive for 5 hours with no issue. Just my 0.02 cents, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by knownothing View Post
    Only chiming in because I have a similar body size to the OP (hair under 6’ 4” and 225), and want to share my experience carryon AIWB so far. The only holster I’ve found to really work for me is an AIWB specific holster, the JM Custom Wing Claw 2.5 with the dcc clips. I’m carrying a P09 and I have no issue with the grip printing like previous holsters I’ve used, at both AIWB and normal 9-7 positions (left handed). I don’t used a wedge, tried it and didn’t find it necessary with the slide length. I typically carry 11-11:30 position on the belt, and can comfortably drive for 5 hours with no issue. Just my 0.02 cents, YMMV.
    I have fallen in love with DCC clips. It has gotten to the point where I want to buy new DCC clip holsters to replace PTD loop holsters that don't have the ability to be drilled for them.

Long time AIWB user.

Bought a 2008 VW R32 years ago and the seats were too form hugging to carry in the “traditional” 3-4 o’clock position.

Started with a G19 in a SME. Great way to start, hard game to follow up.

At the suggestion of many wise minds on this forum, i decided to try a DA/SA pistol and snapped up a PX4cc when they were first released. Been running that ever since in a JM Claw holster.

You NEED length for the gun to tuck what needs to tuck and not want to “flop out” of the belt line.

The SME and JM “Claw” works for me. Ive got a Garrett Silent Thunder for my SP101 that works but not as well as my semi-auto setups.

Most of the time you will have to trial-and-error it to see what works. I got lucky
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DGI View Post
    You NEED length for the gun to tuck what needs to tuck and not want to “flop out” of the belt line.
    Can a wedge mitigate the need for length? The JM George I have for my P239s is fairly short.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Can a wedge mitigate the need for length? The JM George I have for my P239s is fairly short.
    Not really. Body type dependent

That’s why I never jive with the small guns

I needs such a huge as wedge and long kydex that I may as well be using a huge gun. So I do

User Tag List