Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Comfortable AIWB

Having a 7” -9” Long, 2-3lb Steel and plastic boomerang wedged into your belt line is likely to fall far outside of the scope of what most people would label “comfort”

But it should not be distractingly painful or restrictive.

I’m in pretty keen physical fitness and carry huge gun/weaponlight/light/spare mag Etc with no issues but it’s an acquired taste. The benefit for me is consistency in draw whether seated or standing and ability to hide the full size gun/comp/dot/x300 that has come to be the norm

My experience has been that the G26 doesn't carry as well as I'd like AIWB because the weight is high on the belt line (cannot drop the holster very low due to the short grip) and it's still somewhat thick, so you may not have a big advantage compared to IWB. I'm not saying it's a bad AIWB gun, I'm merely trying to say that if you are trying to escape IWB for greener pastures it may not be the biggest difference.

I also am not sure I'd say you NEED an AIWB specific holster for such a small gun given that you don't need grip rotation and probably don't need tuck from something like a wedge- the conclusion ends up being you might as well get at least a compact sized gun to actually feel the advantages of AIWB. When given the choice, I typically carry full sized over subcompact for AIWB which sounds backwards but feels more comfortable in certain ways.
    Last edited by pastaslinger; 11-11-2020 at 02:25 AM.

Site Supporter
    My Glock 26 is most often found being carried with a Raven Concealment Vanguard. Its cheap and takes up very little room.

I have a try at AIWB every six months or so. In fact I have an older JM CK G17 length holster w wing for my G19 squirreled away in my box o' holsters that I use for this. Unfortunately, for me at least, I've found that I can either carry AIWB, or I can carry a "spare tire." I can't do both. So since I currently have the spare tire, it doesn't work well for me, and I carry behind the hip in a JM CK IWB3.

I'm focusing on the spare tire, and have finally found a diet and exercise approach that is working for me. Once I get to target weight, I will try AIWB again. At age 61, I will probably not end up looking like @Duke, but I may surprise myself.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    My experience has been that the G26 doesn't carry as well as I'd like AIWB because the weight is high on the belt line (cannot drop the holster very low due to the short grip) and it's still somewhat thick, so you may not have a big advantage compared to IWB. I'm not saying it's a bad AIWB gun, I'm merely trying to say that if you are trying to escape IWB for greener pastures it may not be the biggest difference.

I also am not sure I'd say you NEED an AIWB specific holster for such a small gun given that you don't need grip rotation and probably don't need tuck from something like a wedge- the conclusion ends up being you might as well get at least a compact sized gun to actually feel the advantages of AIWB. When given the choice, I typically carry full sized over subcompact for AIWB which sounds backwards but feels more comfortable in certain ways.
    I have a G17 and G22 also but the G22 mostly sits in the safe. I do carry the G17 sometimes. Getting the larger AIWB G17 style holster is a great recommendation as I can use it for both the 17 and 26. Do you have the issue on the G26 not being able to drop it low still when using the +2 mag extension?

Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    I have a G17 and G22 also but the G22 mostly sits in the safe. I do carry the G17 sometimes. Getting the larger AIWB G17 style holster is a great recommendation as I can use it for both the 17 and 26. Do you have the issue on the G26 not being able to drop it low still when using the +2 mag extension?
    Don't really use the +2's but there would still be the issue of the weight distribution being really high up

Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    Forget about dropping it down in your belt line - you may as well pocket carry that point.

Aiwb should provide one with a totally unimpeded firing grip at any speed/standing or sitting using a full size gun

Dropping it super low in your belt line is part of the discomfort factor. This is why guys are saying longer gun and longer kydex

I’m making a dedicated effort to see if AIWB works for me - I have a long JMCK Claw 2.5 for my 43. So far, I’m finding left of centerline works better than right of centerline (I’m a righty) but I need to do a lot more experimentation. The ability to carry without a dedicated cover garment is what is driving this, plus moving to a state that doesn’t have a patchwork of no carry zones requiring frequent disarming.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m making a dedicated effort to see if AIWB works for me - I have a long JMCK Claw 2.5 for my 43. So far, I’m finding left of centerline works better than right of centerline (I’m a righty) but I need to do a lot more experimentation. The ability to carry without a dedicated cover garment is what is driving this, plus moving to a state that doesn’t have a patchwork of no carry zones requiring frequent disarming.
    Not left of center but closer to 12

Name:  21EE9E6C-A7BA-4D8F-9C36-E39ECDE9EC17.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  28.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Not left of center but closer to 12

Name:  21EE9E6C-A7BA-4D8F-9C36-E39ECDE9EC17.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  28.8 KB
    Imagine straddling that first belt loop, that’s what is working at the moment.

Edit - my physique is much fluffier than yours, though.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List