Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Comfortable AIWB

Site Supporter
    Hmm. Interesting. Thanks.

I'm gonna mod the George and see how that works. Then... we'll see...

I'm 6' 250 and carry a 92x Centurion in a JMCK AIWB at 1230 with a V Dev Mejingford. I have narrower hips and some dad fluff. I think the non claw holsters benefit greatly from a wedge. However, I find for the wedge to work the best, it needs to be asymmetrical. Not only does it need to taper from tip to grip but also from barrel side to trigger side. This helps tuck the grip in at the top and give some extra rotation to tuck the grip end in. Yoga block has also worked better than the neoprene foam because it will hold it's rounded shape under higher pressures with less hot spots.

AIWB fit/comfort is pretty dependent on hip width and torso length. Wider hips are more forgiving on holster design allowing more room for claws and optics. For narrower hips, the Keeper and JMCK AIWB wedge designs may fit better, but the wedge offers less tuck as you get past 1:00 (closer to centerline).

Torso length comes in to play with holster/barrel length and tip out. The shorter the length from belly button to junk the shorter the barrel/holster you can typically get away with. Ride height can come into play here, too, and will allow some adjustment.

I find 12:00-12:30 to be the most comfortable if I can get the ride height high enough and the grip to tuck. My next purchase will be a JMCK 2.0 with DCC clips to accomplish this. For example, even though it's wider with the claw, moving it to 12 will account for the slight increase in width. The extra ride height available with the DCC clips will give enough room to not poke the base of my shaft with the tip of the holster. The Claw will also still rotates the grip in with the extra ride height where the normal AIWB wedge is no longer effective/runs out of ride height.

Hopefully that helps someone.

How you wear your pants can also effect things. I'm fairly short at 5'7" and always wore my pants right on my waistline (under my gut) and the most I could manage was a G19... Probably could have worn a G17 but I don't own one.
    Anyway, I tried wearing my high-waisted pants up where they belong and now I can carry a G34 or a Roland with reasonable comfort and flexibility. And with a cover garment no one can see I'm wearing my pants grandpa style, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Can a wedge mitigate the need for length? The JM George I have for my P239s is fairly short.
    At some point, but it's a little subjective there.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Can a wedge mitigate the need for length? The JM George I have for my P239s is fairly short.
    My experience says mostly yes, assuming you're starting with a long enough holster to begin with. I carry either a G19 or G17 in a JMCK 2.0 17-length. Not too long ago I got it in my head that a 34-length version of that holster would be even better than the 17-length. I'm tall but I find the extra almost 3/4 inch length of the 34 version to get in the way when sitting yet provides no additional concealment advantage. I've mitigated the unnecessary length of the 34 by using PDT loops on struts which allows a fairly high ride height.

On the other hand, if you carry a G26 in a G26 holster, it'll be pretty top-heavy and I don't think a wedge would be much help. So, longer is better - up to a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
    On the other hand, if you carry a G26 in a G26 holster, it'll be pretty top-heavy and I don't think a wedge would be much help. So, longer is better - up to a point.
    It's not so much the weight, but the lever that's available to work with in the case of the G26, unless your belt is super floppy or you are averse to any belt tension.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Very happy w my SSII straight drop made for g26. No flop issues. No digging. No wedge needed.

If the wedge is the right size, you can add enough counter leverage to where the entire holster is being forced into you by the belt instead of just the end or the grip. This is, of course, dependent on the amount the grip that is being forced out by the tactical muffin top. It's moving the fulcrum in a lever. Ride height and holster length can change the balance point of leverage along the belt. The foam wedge can also be used to adjust this balance.

Just be careful not to make the wedge so large you now look like David Bowie in Labyrinth.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    How you wear your pants can also effect things. I'm fairly short at 5'7" and always wore my pants right on my waistline (under my gut) and the most I could manage was a G19... Probably could have worn a G17 but I don't own one.
    Anyway, I tried wearing my high-waisted pants up where they belong and now I can carry a G34 or a Roland with reasonable comfort and flexibility. And with a cover garment no one can see I'm wearing my pants grandpa style, lol.
    I think this is a huge factor that generally gets overlooked. If I can keep my pants at my waist appendix carry is significantly more comfortable, regardless of the holster or belt. My issue is, despite all the squats, I have no ass, my pants are sliding down all day. I should probably be looking into some tacticool suspenders

User Tag List