Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Comfortable AIWB

Comfortable AIWB

I have always carried either OWB or IWB between the 3 and 5 position. I am interested in carrying my Glock 26 AIWB but curious what is the most comfortable AIWB holster? I've never carried AIWB so flying blind on this but much appreaciate the advice.

Thanks

This will probably take some experimentation on your part. I’ve found strong side carry to be pretty forgiving for comfort but more of a pain to actually conceal. With AIWB, though, I’ve had dramatically different results just between two different belts.

What’s your build like and what type of belt are you going to use? People may be able to point you in a certain direction, but you’re probably going to have to try a few things to see what works.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    This will probably take some experimentation on your part. I’ve found strong side carry to be pretty forgiving for comfort but more of a pain to actually conceal. With AIWB, though, I’ve had dramatically different results just between two different belts.

What’s your build like and what type of belt are you going to use? People may be able to point you in a certain direction, but you’re probably going to have to try a few things to see what works.
    I'm 6 3 and 225 pounds. Big guy. Is there an advantage to a dedicated AIWB holster or is using a standard IWB holster in the appendix position the same thing? I've got several high end holsters and have used some of them in the appendix position to try them out and they aren't comfortable. Which led me to starting this thread.

You will absolutely want a dedicated AIWB holster.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

There are definite advantages to a dedicated appendix holster. With your height, I would recommend going with a G17 length holster, but wouldn't consider anything shorter than a G19 length.

I'd say check out the offerings from Dark Star Gear, JM Custom Kydex, and Tenicor (in no particular order) and pick one that strikes your fancy. From there you'll probably find some things you like/don't like and can further refine from there.

Unfortunately, there isn't really an easy button. It takes some time to find the "perfect" holster for you, and also takes some time for your body to get used to feeling something in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    I'm 6 3 and 225 pounds. Big guy. Is there an advantage to a dedicated AIWB holster or is using a standard IWB holster in the appendix position the same thing? I've got several high end holsters and have used some of them in the appendix position to try them out and they aren't comfortable. Which led me to starting this thread.
    A dedicated AIWB is the way to go. Here are my suggestions in no particular order:

-Darkstar gear holster. I prefer the soft loops but the clip is good too. Order the wing and the pad. Get at least G19 length but G17 is probably a better bet. This is a very adjustable holster, with some trial and error you can find what you like. And if you decide the whole idea sucks it will work IWB too.
    -Same idea with the Tenicor Certum3. You’ll have to find a pad somewhere else, though. You can get one separately from Darkstar Gear or Mastermind Tactics. Try it without the pad first if you get the tenicor. I use mine without a pad, but I don’t like pads or wedges.
    -Call Tony at JM Custom Kydex and pick his brain on what to get.

I’ve used holsters from all three places and they all make great stuff. Basically I would order something that is as customizable as possible on your end, or go with Tony’s recommendations.

*Edit: this makes it seem like you can’t tweak JM holsters. That’s not really the case. You can adjust a lot on his wing-claw models too. I just prefer the George from JM Custom, and that’s a little less adjustable than some of the other models.

Piling on. A dedicated AIWB holster from one of the go-tos on P-F is absolutely the way to go.

I’ve made do with adapting non-dedicated AIWB holsters with foam wedges, new clip locations, and wings/claws, but they are nowhere near as comfortable as my dedicated JMCK, which doesn’t even require a foam pad to prevent hot spots.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

I have used Dark Star Gear, Tenicor, V-Development, and a few more that I can't think of right now. All three are nice, but Tenicor will let you buy one and try it out and if you don't like it they will allow you to return it.

When I started carrying I started like you - usually behind the hip at ~4:30. My first AIWB holster was a Raven Eidolon. I don't recall why I wanted something new but my next holster was a JM Custom Kydex Wing Claw 2.0. Along the way I bought a Tenicor Velo with the "body contour wedge" and un-adjustable camming bar. I went back and forth between the two for a long while. A year or so ago I stopped using the Tenicor Velo because the "body contour wedge" and camming bar just didn't tuck the Glock 17, 19, or 26 as well as the JMCK.

Other reasons I prefer the JMCK 2.0: The full sweat guard completely covers the rear sight so the sight never touches or digs into my skin when I bend over. The sweat guard also allows me to get a firing grip and push down against the guard with my shooting hand thumb, breaking retention for a discreet quiet draw. I also like the open but rounded muzzle end of the holster. It's more comfortable than the straight edge on the bottom of the Velo.

The JMCK uses the "Mod Wing" which has four potential adjustments and works better for me than the one size fits all options like the Velo camming bar or the Dark Star "Dark Wing" which I used for a while. I like the foam wedge that comes with the JMCK and find that they hold up pretty well over time. I also like the Dark Star "Teardrop Muzzle Pad" which you can buy from them separately.

I initially used Pull The Dot loops on everything but once I got the hang of Discreet Carry Concepts clips, they became my favorite attachment.

And then there's the belt. I've used Wilderness Tactical and Mastermind (formerly Graith) nylon velcro belts. I got sick of dealing with velcro so I grudgingly bought a KORE ratcheting leather belt. I felt the leather might not hold up to the rigors of AIWB and DCC clips but I really liked the ratcheting and medium stiffness of the leather belt. I use it for concealed OWB (at 3 o'clock) with a jacket or suit coat for cover. For EDC AIWB, I bought a KORE Nylon Tactical belt with the smaller AIWB buckle. This belt is actually over-built for AIWB but I find I don't have to wear the belt as tight as I had to wear the other velcro belts.

I hope this helps.

The G26 is a good gun but you may quickly find it’s just as easy to conceal a G19 AIWB. Folks are telling you to get a longer holster because a really short holster will roll over your belt line, especially if you have some padding. I don’t have that problem (I routinely aiwb a G43 in a short holster) but the longer holster will allow you to upgrade to a G19 in the future.

I favor the JMCK ‘George’ but I have a good build for aiwb. With a JMCK wing claw I can easily conceal a G17 under a t shirt.

The most comfortable aiwb holsters are the SME by 5 shot leather and the Watson by JRC.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List