Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Comfortable AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by csheehy View Post
    Tried various shirts over the years, but for the last ten years or so have used these:
    https://amazon.com/32-DEGREES-Mens-C...s%2C159&sr=8-7

Often available at Costco in 3 packs, can also be found on Amazon in multi packs sometimes. Started using them under my armor, and gradually morphed into year round wear, even in summer, under a polo or a camp shirt.
    My order of four black size L arrived today. I am mighty impressed. Size wise, they are a good fit for me, and very similar at the rib as my other Size L "Jerzees" T-shirt. (I'm 5'6", weigh 185 and wear 32" shorts.) This picture shows a Nike XL Dri-Fit Performance in Orange, under my Lime Green Size L Jerzee, under the black size L Cool 32 degrees T-shirt:

Name:  IMG_8165.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  72.9 KB

The fabric is super soft and just-right stretchy. I grabbed one out of the pack and have it on right now. The label says "Made in Vietnam."

It is not a "compression" fit by any means. But what I wanted out of this was an undershirt I could wear while taking a class, or at an event where I was shooting a lot. One of the things that bugged me in doing draws on the timer was how raw I rubbed my sensitive belly area when drawing at speed. I don't think it would bug me in an emergency, but I don't want to be doing that in a 2 day class where I'm AIWB (like, a Gabe Class, if I ended up taking again.)

So far, at 4 shirts for $20, these seem to be a fantastic deal.

Thanks again for the tip!!

Quick test fit with the 32 Degree Size L T shirt under a Macy's Size XL Polo and the Alpha JCP pinned closed:

Name:  IMG_8169.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  31.8 KB

Interesting. Comfort is better than with the foam pad. I put quite a bit of poly-fil in, but it seems to squish down a bit. There is more "give" with the JCP and sitting comfort is good, better in fact. I took @Clusterfrack's suggestion and moved the JCP down a bit so if folds "under' the holster just a bit.

On the whole size thing, it actually seems to work as is now, though it looks small. I may go ahead and finish Bravo to the current spec and make a Charlie tomorrow, taking into account all I learned today.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

I may go ahead and finish Bravo to the current spec and make a Charlie tomorrow, taking into account all I learned today.
    Ok so I rewickered the pattern to a "2.0" version today. I opened up the size by 1/2", and removed the hem lines down the side. This simplifies construction, since you only have to hem the tops on each end. Since the JCP folds from wrong side out anyways, the side hem is needless.

jcp__compact_pattern20.pdf

I cut a Charlie prototype and sewed it up. I found an easy way to stitch the "ears" of the bellows was to fold the cloth over and mark the triangles with silver sharpie, using the pattern. This ended up being much easier.

Here's the Charlie version, after sewing, but before flipping it inside out. It's top down, and bottom up, in this picture.

Name:  IMG_8172.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  57.9 KB

Here is the older JCP Alpha (on left) and today's Charlie (on right), shown next to my DSG Holster with the OEM Foam Pad. Note that opening up the pattern and removing the side hem enlarged Charlie a bit, which was the intent. I have the tops pinned, just to fiddle with amount of poly-fil to get the right stiffness. I'll sew up the top hem tomorrow once I'm happy.

Name:  IMG_8174.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  76.4 KB

Many thanks to @Clusterfrack for this awesome idea. I really appreciate it.

Looking good @RJ. I taper the top half of my JCPs inward to narrow the mouth area. Otherwise, you get flappy flaps that can bunch up or get sweaty.

Ok so I rewickered the pattern to a "2.0" version today. I opened up the size by 1/2", and removed the hem lines down the side. This simplifies construction, since you only have to hem the tops on each end. Since the JCP folds from wrong side out anyways, the side hem is needless.

jcp__compact_pattern20.pdf

I cut a Charlie prototype and sewed it up. I found an easy way to stitch the "ears" of the bellows was to fold the cloth over and mark the triangles with silver sharpie, using the pattern. This ended up being much easier.

Here's the Charlie version, after sewing, but before flipping it inside out. It's top down, and bottom up, in this picture.

Name:  IMG_8172.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  57.9 KB

Here is the older JCP Alpha (on left) and today's Charlie (on right), shown next to my DSG Holster with the OEM Foam Pad. Note that opening up the pattern and removing the side hem enlarged Charlie a bit, which was the intent. I have the tops pinned, just to fiddle with amount of poly-fil to get the right stiffness. I'll sew up the top hem tomorrow once I'm happy.

Name:  IMG_8174.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  76.4 KB

Many thanks to @Clusterfrack for this awesome idea. I really appreciate it.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Looking good @RJ. I taper the top half of my JCPs inward to narrow the mouth area. Otherwise, you get flappy flaps that can bunch up or get sweaty.
    Thanks...funny I was just sitting here starting at the ears on Charlie, I and thinking about adding a sew line on the pattern from the ears to the mouth to do that. I can see exactly what you mean. I may unstuff Charlie and sew a tighter line, then re-fill. I'll also tweak the pattern. Good comment.

Thanks...funny I was just sitting here starting at the ears on Charlie, I and thinking about adding a sew line on the pattern from the ears to the mouth to do that. I can see exactly what you mean. I may unstuff Charlie and sew a tighter line, then re-fill. I'll also tweak the pattern. Good comment.
    Pattern v 2.1 incorporating a sew line angled from the "bellows" to the top, to narrow the JCP width at the upper end.

jcp__compact_pattern21.pdf

Kinda related to this topic, one of the things that hang me up slightly on putting on my holster is the PTD loops. The snap as it comes is quite stiff to get attached, and requires a bit of wearing in.

I found that a light application of some Flitz metal polish on a patch takes the edge off the snaps, so they are much much easier to connect up. I followed the Flitz by cleaning and then a wipe with some Slip 2000 EWL. Much much happer with the process of holstering up now.

Name:  IMG_8181.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  67.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by csheehy View Post
    RJ, you won't see them until probably March or so in the stores. They carry long sleeve t-shirts and long under wear by the same manufacturer but it's a totally different knit and/or materials.

From the manufacturer's website:

https://www.32degrees.com/products/m...=3015431323688

Cheaper than Amazon.
    Thank you for the link to these. I've used various brands over the years and am always looking for new options, especially at a good price. I ordered half a dozen and wore one as an undershirt under a regular tshirt and a wind shell on a ten mile trail run yesterday. The shirt was comfortable and I like the fit.

Kinda related to this topic, one of the things that hang me up slightly on putting on my holster is the PTD loops. The snap as it comes is quite stiff to get attached, and requires a bit of wearing in.

I found that a light application of some Flitz metal polish on a patch takes the edge off the snaps, so they are much much easier to connect up. I followed the Flitz by cleaning and then a wipe with some Slip 2000 EWL. Much much happer with the process of holstering up now.

Name:  IMG_8181.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  67.5 KB
    The is good idea. Thanks for the helpful hint or in our world the lifehack.

Pattern v 2.1 incorporating a sew line angled from the "bellows" to the top, to narrow the JCP width at the upper end.

jcp__compact_pattern21.pdf
    Dude! You rock! I've got to try this out.
    Thank you very glad!
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List