Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Comfortable AIWB

I recently had an ongoing discussion in my TJ regarding additional AIWB comfort options I wanted to add to this thread.

One option was the use of sleeveless T-shirts, to use under a larger shirt. In particular, these ones by Hanes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since I am now in Size L T-shirts, I ordered a set of four in size L. They came, and I put one on to try it out. It was skin tight; I mean, skin, tight. How tight? Well, if it had been striped, I could have applied for a spot on the roster of an Australian Rules Football team. That tight.

I did try it, underneath an old XL Polo I had. I did not like it at all (I've never been an undershirt guy.) So this didn't work real well for me.

I then moved to try something called a Band-Aid Hydro Seal, all in one size, Extra Large (2.4" x 2.7"). This is basically a sticky band-aid that has a gel-type bandage for wound covering, that's purported to be water proof. The idea was to use it as a cushion for any areas of skin irritation.

https://www.amazon.com/Band-Aid-Wate...5570277&sr=8-2

I found a couple boxes of 3 at Target, for $4 each:

Name:  IMG_8407.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  55.6 KB

I shaved in the general area, and then did another set of dry draws using my timer, so I could see where the biggest hot spot was in my draw. I then marked the area with a sharpie, and stuck the Hydro Seal in place, covering the sharpie.

I was surprised where it ended up, because I thought it would be behind the sweatguard. But no; for me, it was the area immediately behind where my strong hand fingers curled around the grip, as in, right under the grip, basically. This causes me some pain both on the draw, and on reholster. If I draw/reholster a lot, in succession (like, in a class), it really does bug me.

After I stuck the bandage on, I did another bunch of dry draws, at speed, and noticed an immediate absence of my skin being abraded by my fingers.

Bottom line I will keep this on for a bit over the next few days, but I think this seems to be the best option, "for me", to add a bit of AIWB comfort.

I am attending the Rangemaster Tactical Conference in Dallas week after next, and have shooting classes daily, plus the Polite Society Shooting Match. I now plan to wear this gel band aid as part of my EDC for that training. I don't think I'd necessarily carry on a daily basis with it stuck to my tummy, but for where you are going to expect to draw a lot (like, a class) I think this is a decent solution.

Thanks again for the suggestions, @JCN and @NoTacTravis.

Site Supporter
    @RJ if you run out of bandaids or want to try something different some kinesiology tape grips extremely well and provides good abrasion resistance too.

It’s what I’ve used on my nose for protection when I couldn’t fix an archery form problem and was occasionally hitting my nose with the bowstring upon release.(that’ll give you the flinchies)
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @RJ just throwing this out there as something to think about. With all the stuff added to your holster you’ve created a system that’s thicker than a double stack glock. Also a few pieces of adhesive moleskin can increase comfort without adding noticeably to the thickness of the gun/holster combo.
    Bro seriously, there's like no way I'd try that. I mean, not in a million years. I've given up on double stack Glocks...I mean, how would it even fit down my pants?

Name:  IMG_8411.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  66.5 KB

I stuffed a Shadow 2 with a weapon light AIWB at the last match.

User Tag List