Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Comfortable AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    I have always carried either OWB or IWB between the 3 and 5 position. I am interested in carrying my Glock 26 AIWB but curious what is the most comfortable AIWB holster? I've never carried AIWB so flying blind on this but much appreaciate the advice.

Thanks
    Great advice here. Unfortunately theres no answer but trying. Theres a thread over in Coterie thats for supporting members only. Its called Official Borrowers Thread. If you ask there you might be able to find some holsters to try before you buy. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1161462
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Will do. As a newb, I just picked that location astride that belt loop as a convenient repeatable reference point. I’ll try either side aft/forward and see how it goes. Much appreciate you pointing that out.

PS I also moved the teardrop again; resiting the holster lower meant I needed to move pad up a bit.
    Today's adjustment was to move the holster both outboard and inboard to experiment how it felt. Outboard did not work, there was an immediate pressure point in my thigh. Inboard, much better, in fact I'll keep it here. I moved the pad slightly as well.

I also put a PTD loop on my G19 mag holster and shoved in a G48 magazine. It fits oddly but is enough for me to determine if carrying a mag here is doable. Here is where I ended up as far as position. Does this look too odd? It feels ok. I can stand, sit and walk with it here. I mean, I shoved my T-shirt in behind it to cover my ripped abs (kidding) but it is canted over pretty far.

Name:  IMG_8059.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  42.6 KB

I'm about to head out to lunch so plan to carry 11+10 over there. If the mag carrier position/method is ok, I think I'll pick up one of Tom's Koalas.

https://darkstargear.com/product/koala/

Today's adjustment was to move the holster both outboard and inboard to experiment how it felt. Outboard did not work, there was an immediate pressure point in my thigh. Inboard, much better, in fact I'll keep it here. I moved the pad slightly as well.

I also put a PTD loop on my G19 mag holster and shoved in a G48 magazine. It fits oddly but is enough for me to determine if carrying a mag here is doable. Here is where I ended up as far as position. Does this look too odd? It feels ok. I can stand, sit and walk with it here. I mean, I shoved my T-shirt in behind it to cover my ripped abs (kidding) but it is canted over pretty far.

I'm about to head out to lunch so plan to carry 11+10 over there. If the mag carrier position/method is ok, I think I'll pick up one of Tom's Koalas.

merry20 for 20% off.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Looking good. I'm sure you've discovered that what pants you wear makes a YUGE difference in AIWB carry. High or low waist, position of belt loops, etc. Suggest experimenting with pants.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I don't have a pattern, although I was talking with Mrs. CF about making one...
    @Clusterfrack, as discussed, I drafted up a pattern I intend to use to make a JCP. My application is for my Glock 48 in a Dark Star Hitchhiker, so I made it a little smaller, i.e. a JCP (compact).

I got some basic cotton fabric today at the craft store. Pictured below is a "test" version that I put together with staples, just as a prototype to see how it would go together. The shape and size shows how big it will be, compared to the foam pad currently attached to my DSG holster. I think it will end up approximately the same size, but be more "squishier" (?) than the foam. Should be interesting.

Name:  IMG_8080.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  71.6 KB

The pattern version 1.1 is attached below. If anyone wants to use this, just download the pdf and print it full size, no scaling. Then follow CF's instructions above, or the steps on the pattern. I'd appreciate any feedback on this.

jcp__compact_pattern11.pdf

I'll post back when I get the Velcro strips and Poli-fil put in, and the JCP attached to the holster. Many thanks for the idea.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-07-2021 at 03:29 PM.

Awesome! The pattern looks good. Thanks for doing this, @RJ.
    FYI, I like to place a longer loop velcro strip on the holster so I can adjust the vertical position of the pillow. I like it to extend slightly below the end of the holster in most cases, and to be a bit more toward the right leg. I think your velcro patch will do nicely.

@Clusterfrack, as discussed, I drafted up a pattern I intend to use to make a JCP. My application is for my Glock 48 in a Dark Star Hitchhiker, so I made it a little smaller, i.e. a JCP (compact).

I got some basic cotton fabric today at the craft store. Pictured below is a "test" version that I put together with staples, just as a prototype to see how it would go together. The shape and size shows how big it will be, compared to the foam pad currently attached to my DSG holster. I think it will end up approximately the same size, but be more "squishier" (?) than the foam. Should be interesting.

Name:  IMG_8080.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  71.6 KB

The pattern version 1.1 is attached below. If anyone wants to use this, just download the pdf and print it full size, no scaling. Then follow CF's instructions above, or the steps on the pattern. I'd appreciate any feedback on this.

jcp__compact_pattern11.pdf

I'll post back when I get the Velcro strips and Poli-fil put in, and the JCP attached to the holster. Many thanks for the idea.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

What foam pad is that? Is it one of the teardrop pads from DSG?

Quote Originally Posted by Winegamd View Post
    What foam pad is that? Is it one of the teardrop pads from DSG?
    It came with the holster (DSG Hitchhiker), which I bought used from a forum member. It's my belief that it is the OEM pad from DSG, yes, but I'd defer to Tom on that.

On the topic of AIWB comfort, I wanted to ask about undershirts.

One of the main things I used to worry about in "starting to carry a gun" was the rubbing of the holster against my skin. I'm in Florida, so typically wear only a T-shirt or polo. I distinctly remember the feeling of trying to CCW with my M&P full size in a generic gun store holster, with Trigicon HD sights, which tore up my soft office-boy midsection something fierce. Having more of a muffin top did not help.

Now that I've learned a bit more, and am carrying more sensibly in holsters by either JM CK or Dark Star Gear, I'd like to revisit undershirts, in particular for AIWB. After doing a bit of research this week, I ordered a poly/spandex compression shirt to try from Amazon, which should arrive today:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you find wearing an undershirt helps with comfort, draw speed, or (in particular if you are in hot muggy weather) heat management?

If so, what types/brands/fabrics do you suggest?

Briefly back on the JCP, this is the fabric I bought at Michael's Crafts yesterday in Clearwater. $1.49 for a large piece, enough to make several of these. It's 100% cotton.

Name:  IMG_8078.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  54.8 KB

User Tag List