Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Comfortable AIWB

Site Supporter
    @RJ make sure your belt isn’t too tight while you are putting on the holster, then snug everything down after you’re snapped in/on.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Thanks all. I discovered a spare steel clip in the Box o’ Holsters:

Name:  F313F278-D38B-4308-9BF6-8A3B7FBFF17D.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  72.2 KB

Putting it on is simpler. Did some dry draws, the lower profile of the steel helps me get a much better index on the draw. I’m going to try this out for a few days. Appreciate the inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    ...the lower profile of the steel helps me get a much better index on the draw.
    So your fingers were hitting the free ends of the PDT loop straps? That happened to me as well, so I cut them off. I also trimmed material above one edge of the grip-side snap.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I've tried several options. Hands down (for me) Keeper's Concealment Keeper. There are other models, but this one was the best I have experienced (this was with a full size B92). I've AIWB'd other holsters with much lighter polymer pistols without the same level of comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    So your fingers were hitting the free ends of the PDT loop straps? That happened to me as well, so I cut them off. I also trimmed material above one edge of the grip-side snap.
    Yeah, I did all that as well. The steel just seems to allow me a better index on the draw, being as it’s flat I guess. Anyway I’ll try it for a while, maybe do some work on the timer with the blue gun.

I’m a DCC convert, which is a full 180 from when they came out and I was like “meh, no advantage over PTDs.”

Even with a 38oz gun, I find that a single DCC over the trigger guard is sufficiently secure, gives just enough play to adjust to what I’m doing (sitting, standing, crouching, etc.), is super low profile, and is quick and easy on/off once you’re used to it. For me, PTDs can be the thing that’s still printing even after I have the gun itself well hidden, and if it’s two of them vs one DCC, on/off is slower.

Like everything else, it’s very specific to each person and YMMV, but I’m set on these until some new dark magic comes along.

RJ, I think I posted a pic either here or in another thread in response to a question of yours about mag carriers that shows my current setup.

Clips allow the gun to walk too much for me, except with G43s and j frames. Ptd helps with that and still allows me to easily remove the gun. Fixed loops on either side of the belt loop are best, but a pain to thread. I don’t know why clips aren’t paired with a strut or something, but there’s probably a reason.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    For me, PTDs can be the thing that’s still printing even after I have the gun itself well hidden, and if it’s two of them vs one DCC, on/off is slower.
    That’s a great point, another plus for the flat steel clip, about printing less than the PTD. My wife had trouble seeing any sign of my rig as I showed it to her, and she knows where to look. Definitely an individual thing tho.

I’m evaluating another comfort AIWB mod this week. Member @JCN suggested in my TJ a pad or wedge at the upper inside of the sweatguard of the holster.

It occurred to me I could mount a Melody Lauer Holster Hack (Dr. Scholl’s Women’s Gel pad, size M) heel side up, just below the Kydex of my DSG Hitchhiker.

Name:  19D4E1E5-E7A8-4BEF-AEED-28BD54D4D9DE.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  59.2 KB

This might look a little odd, but in practice I find it adds quite a bit in comfort. Primarily the Kydex is no longer digging in quite so much when I sit down as the load is distributed via the gel. The pad ‘offsets’ the gun slightly, offering a little room for my strong hand, so there is less risk of grabbing skin on the draw or holster. Finally, the curve of the pad provides a resting place for my thumb on the draw, leading to a much more positive index.

I’ve done some timings and I’m seeing concealed draws to a press using my AMG timer consistently 1.4 - 1.5s, very good for me.

@RJ looking at your rig, I wonder if the junk pillow isn’t causing some of the upper hotspot... that then requires a wedge...

A hybrid holster basically has integrated junk pillow and wedge.

My current carry setup:

Name:  E7D16FD5-6EDA-4247-B7C9-F5D2C831BDCC.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  48.7 KB
    Name:  37EB1803-6AB7-48A7-B0AF-746D0DF076F7.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  57.1 KB
    Name:  B529AD42-6AD0-4C83-8DAE-A636DBE1D511.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  57.9 KB
    Name:  70767334-C357-4C8B-A217-3D7FB1D96836.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  33.7 KB

I also personally prefer really short slide carry guns to reduce junk poking. But get around that with higher ride heights if I carry things longer than my P365.

User Tag List