View Poll Results: Which 2018-19ish truck to you recommend?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Toyota Tundra

22 57.89%
  • Ford F-150

6 15.79%
  • Ford F-250 Super Duty

6 15.79%
  • Chevrolet (GM) 1500 Series

3 7.89%
  • Chevrolet (GM) 2500 HD diesel

1 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Researching a Full-size truck purchase. Help me figure out which to get.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for all the responses guys; appreciate the discussion. What I’m replacing right now is the 08 Suburban, so I know SUVs aren’t for me. I need a bed! Good recommendation about just renting a truck when needed. To expand a little, I would need to get a new vehicle regardless, so instead of buying a new car for the commute and renting a truck when needed (leaving me with two cars), I’m kinda wanting the best truck to commute with (gas vs diesel).

The ecoboost option is interesting but for some reason I’m wary of towing for any length of time with a turbo gas motor. Or towing a heavy load for any length of time with a gas motor. Maybe it’s just lack of experience. I’m not too trusting of gas motors under heavy load for extended periods of time. All my experience is with high performance engines at high rpms.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've owned all of the Big 3's trucks over the years and am not brand loyal. I've owned gas and diesel. I've owned 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton.

My takeaways are:

1) Don't buy a 3/4 ton if you don't need 3/4 ton capacity, and you don't. You pay more for the truck, for plates, for maintenance, for fuel, and in exchange you get a rougher ride and the ability to tow things you'll never tow.

2) Buy gas. Yes, you can make a diesel get better fuel economy, but pencil it out. Higher cost of purchase, higher cost of fuel, higher cost of maintenance, and you'll likely not see it make sense. Prior to ULSD fuel, diesel made a lot more sense. Now, less so.

3) If total cost of ownership and fuel economy are primary concerns, you shouldn't be buying a truck. Any number of small SUVs will do the things your posts lists and do those things better. You can configure a RAV-4 that will tow 3500 lbs and get 1.5 to 2x the mpg of a full size truck.

If you just want a truck because you want a truck, just go drive them all and see what you like the best. I currently drive a Ram 1500, which replaced a Ford Super Duty F-250.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I’ve got a 2019 Ford F-250 and use it for towing a travel trailer. Couldn’t be more pleased with my second mortgage payment for a truck payment.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I’ve got a 2019 Ford F-250 and use it for towing a travel trailer. Couldn’t be more pleased with my second mortgage payment for a truck payment.
    My Tundra payment is more than my first house payment.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Four wheel drive is a must.
    Is it really? Be honest about how much you will really use it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    I have a 2019 trd pro tundra.

I think it is the best overall package out there for all things “truck “

And tow/haul mode feels like it adds 50 hp.
    And exhaust sound is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Not a bad suggestion at all. OTOH, when a guy wants a truck, he wants a truck, and it’s hard to find enough logic telling him to leave it alone.
    I agree as I watched my father-in-law do this. He bought a large camper and a gas-powered 2500HD to tow it. He then decided he needed a diesel and sold the gas-powered 2500HD to partially fund a diesel 2500HD. Two years later, both the camper and the diesel 2500HD are gone due to the ongoing maintenance and fuel costs for the diesel 2500HD, and he now uses a Nissan Murano to tow as needed. The money lost in the three transactions totaled more than I paid for my large sedan.

I tend to buy against the grain as I hate pumping money into depreciating assets. Right now, trucks and SUVs are so popular than the dealer lots are barren. Sedans and coupes do not sell. Hence I focus on sedans and coupes.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Thanks for all the responses guys; appreciate the discussion. What I’m replacing right now is the 08 Suburban, so I know SUVs aren’t for me. I need a bed! Good recommendation about just renting a truck when needed. To expand a little, I would need to get a new vehicle regardless, so instead of buying a new car for the commute and renting a truck when needed (leaving me with two cars), I’m kinda wanting the best truck to commute with (gas vs diesel).

The ecoboost option is interesting but for some reason I’m wary of towing for any length of time with a turbo gas motor. Or towing a heavy load for any length of time with a gas motor. Maybe it’s just lack of experience. I’m not too trusting of gas motors under heavy load for extended periods of time. All my experience is with high performance engines at high rpms.
    Full disclosure: I am a Ford And Dodge dealer.

I would have *no* qualms whatsoever towing wherever you want to go for as long as you want to go with a 3.5l EcoBoost motor. It is Ford's max towing option, and we just don't see them in for service, unless you do not change the oil on a regular basis. We'd like to do it at 5,000, but depending on use, the computer may want you to go as long as 8,000 between changes.

If you are going to get in the horse business, you will at some point want a truck larger than a half ton, but that is a whole different discussion.

Feel to PM me if you want my number, and I'll be glad to answer all your questions...

Ford is working on a 6.8 litre aluminum V8 for the F150....but I would still buy something used to save $$$....but if I was looking for a new ride the 6.8 sounds nice.

*I work in automotive and have built parts for just about all of them at one time or another.

A good compromise would be a Dodge 1/2 ton with the Eco-Diesel. I know you stated you don't like Dodge and I don't either but these are getting a serious look for my next purchase. I won't own a 3/4 or 1 ton unless I'm pulling heavy and often which I don't at the moment. They are just one load of fuel away from a $5000 set of injectors and more if it gets the pumps too. Just too expensive on maintenance unless you need their capability. The Dodge eco-diesel is a much less premium on purchase up front too and might hold up to a numbers crunch.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram/...-truck-review/

User Tag List