Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iran claims "AI controlled machinegun" used in assassination of nuclear scientist

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Iran claims "AI controlled machinegun" used in assassination of nuclear scientist

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-55214359

The machine-gun "focused only on martyr Fakhrizadeh's face in a way that his wife, despite being only 25cm [10 inches] away, was not shot", he said.

The general reiterated that no human assailants had been present at the scene, saying that "in total 13 bullets were fired and all of them were shot from the [weapon] in the Nissan". Four bullets struck Fakhrizadeh's head of security "as he threw himself" on the scientist, he added.
    I mean...probably not. But for the purposes of this discussion let's say that's true.

Is that the end of "guns don't kill people...."? And if it's not true today, it's likely inevitable that drones could be so weaponized using facial recognition. How does one counter an individual specific booby trap like that?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

My own opinion is that weaponized drones are better countered by directed energy (High Power Microwaves, Lasers, etc.) than by direct gunfire.

While I think it's unlikely, I would very much like to see directed energy type weapons become commercially available for citizen owernship and purchase as they mature into SWAP-C envelopes useful for individual use.

I think that any nation-state that is not both trying to integrate "AI" and "counter-AI" into weapons as hard and as fast as possible is sticking its own head in the sand.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Is that the end of "guns don't kill people...."?
    Of course not. Guns don’t kill people, Skynet with guns kills people.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Mask up for safety?

Interesting development if true. I'd much rather send an autonomous vehicle with cameras and a remotely controlled gun into some places than a team of human beings. Equip the thing with a self-destruct so no hardware can be recovered, and no escaping is necessary. It's taking surgical drone strikes to the arthroscopic level.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

The best bet is a system like DroneShield.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-55214359

I mean...probably not. But for the purposes of this discussion let's say that's true.

Is that the end of "guns don't kill people...."?
    No, the AI did it.

How does one counter an individual specific booby trap like that?
    Ban Nissans.

“Iran insists its nuclear programme is entirely peaceful and that it has never sought a nuclear weapon.”

Ummmm.... Right. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Site Supporter
    AI controlled guns - I recall a story of a Sgt. York 40 mm self-propelled gun going ape shit and almost hosing a stand full of brass and guests. Some South African 35 mm AA tank did the same thing. Hazy on the details.

Could this be a story just to justify a failure to keep out Israeli agents. However, how do they set it up without detection?

Could be a good story line for Fauda.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    My own opinion is that weaponized drones are better countered by directed energy (High Power Microwaves, Lasers, etc.) than by direct gunfire.

While I think it's unlikely, I would very much like to see directed energy type weapons become commercially available for citizen owernship and purchase as they mature into SWAP-C envelopes useful for individual use.
    DE, HPMs, and projectiles have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm pretty familiar with all of these systems, and a lot comes down to ROEs. As a scientist-engineer, I could overcome most technological issues, but the biggest hurdles were often the ROEs.

As far as the systems you mentioned: C-UAS laser systems are not mature, take a large footprint, are expensive, and will have operational issues, among several other issues. HPMs have similar issues as lasers and can interfere with a lot of other nearby equipment. Gunfire works, but the rounds that miss have to go somewhere. All systems have to be directed where to shoot. Doing that while on the move may sound easy, but it's not.

Lasers for citizen ownership? What kind of power levels are you talking about? We already had a thread here on how current lasers that you can buy from Amazon can cause significant eye damage. Do you want to go beyond this? I guess that would be an interesting 2nd amendment case that stretches the test that an AR-15 is nothing more than the modern-day equivalent to the colonial musket. Did the founding fathers ever envision the right to keep and bear lasers?

But truthfully, we're a long, long way from being able to give powerful lasers to citizens. When I used to brief Fort Benning about the science and technology we were developing in my lab, at the end I'd ask them to tell me what they needed, and sometimes they would ask me for lasers in a backpack. We're a long way from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    The best bet is a system like DroneShield.
    Eh, not necessarily. It was the lowest hanging fruit and could be fielded fast given the ROEs. Certainly, EW, like the other systems, has some advantages, but it also has limitations. I wouldn't call it the best bet. Again, depends on the ROEs. And for every CM, there's a CCM.

It's interesting that Iran doesn't seem to know what just hit them.....

Maybe that's why Ayatollah Ali Khamenei is turning over the reigns to his son.

There's retiring for health reasons, and then there's retiring for health reasons.

User Tag List