Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veterans granted free lifetime passes to National Parks

Veterans granted free lifetime passes to National Parks

...the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs announced U.S. military veterans and Gold Star families will be granted a lifetime of free access to national parks, wildlife refuges and other federal lands managed by the Department of the Interior.

"With the utmost respect and gratitude, we are granting Veterans and Gold Star Families free access to the iconic and treasured lands they fought to protect starting this Veterans Day and every single day thereafter," said Secretary of the Interior David L. Bernhardt.

The access passes, called America the Beautiful, currently cost $80 per year and grant entry to more than 2,000 federal recreation sites spread out across more than 400 million acres of public lands, including Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Arches, and Mount Rushmore National Memorial.

To get the free pass, veterans must provide some form of identification showing they were enlisted in the armed forces or the U.S.National Guard and Reserves. Gold Star families are those who have lost an enlisted family member while serving in a war, a military operation outside of the U.S. or in an international terrorist attack.

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/09/93327...national-parks

Thanks for the heads up.

Nice.

Trump appointee throws veterans a minor bone. The optics of revoking it will cost President Biden dearly.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Nice.

Trump appointee throws veterans a minor bone. The optics of revoking it will cost President Biden dearly.

Okie John
    All the revoking of military stuff that Obama did didn't seem to hurt him.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    That's awesome!

Only of my fatherly goals is to visit one National Park with my boys every year. So much beauty to behold in this land.

Site Supporter
    I got this pass earlier this year with VA disability. I plan to visit a lot of National Parks in coming retirement

I've had this access for a while. Once I thought about it I realized it was because of a VA disability rating, not just service. Glad to see this was pushed out to more vets.

Site Supporter
    My wife received a similar access after her disabling stroke in 1999.
    We have used it in several areas in VA and hopefully one day in more places as ‘Rona has shut our travel down for the time being.
    Glad to see vets get this.
    Well deserved.

Wasn't this already the case? Maybe it was a yearly pass but I got something like this with my mil id maybe 5 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    Wasn't this already the case? Maybe it was a yearly pass but I got something like this with my mil id maybe 5 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    AD military have been able to get in for free for a while. I do not know when that came about however.

User Tag List