Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How low can you direct mill a RMR on a Glock?

How low can you direct mill a RMR on a Glock?

This has undoubtedly been covered already, but I’m having a hard time finding it.

If I were to direct mill for a RMR on a Glock 26.5, is it possible to get it low enough to avoid using suppressor sights?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    This has undoubtedly been covered already, but I’m having a hard time finding it.

If I were to direct mill for a RMR on a Glock 26.5, is it possible to get it low enough to avoid using suppressor sights?
    Not sure how low the 26 can be milled, but the Shadow Systems MR920 uses regular height sights at BUIS, not suppressor height. I think YVK had a 26 milled super low by an outfit in Texas, so hopefully he comments.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks - hopefully @YVK will chime in.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Systems-MR920

Most normal milled slides are all pretty close to the same depth, and about as low as you can go. Mill it too low and the mounting screws run into the extractor channel. MR920 got around this by designing their own extractor system that sits in front of the RMR screws, so you can mill the pocket deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Thanks - hopefully @YVK will chime in.
    Ken, a setup that I have on my Gen4 G26 doesn't allow for regular height iron sights to provide a true sight picture through RMRs window. The work was done by Maple Leaf out of Texas and they bury RMR lower than anyone else I know. ATEI is at .140 or .145 deep, some others too, many much higher. Maple Leaf is at .165 deep. It does present some issues with extractor plunger interference and there are a couple of options around that.

That said, even that deep of a pocket is not deep enough to see non-supp height irons. What I did was to use either 0.265 or 0.285 front sights and filled rear dovetail with a cut down oem rear just as an anti-snag measure. I used front sight only and I could deliver a minute of 6 inch circle shots out to 7 yards and I knew if I were off, I'd be shooing high.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Ken, a setup that I have on my Gen4 G26 doesn't allow for regular height iron sights to provide a true sight picture through RMRs window. The work was done by Maple Leaf out of Texas and they bury RMR lower than anyone else I know. ATEI is at .140 or .145 deep, some others too, many much higher. Maple Leaf is at .165 deep. It does present some issues with extractor plunger interference and there are a couple of options around that.

That said, even that deep of a pocket is not deep enough to see non-supp height irons. What I did was to use either 0.265 or 0.285 front sights and filled rear dovetail with a cut down oem rear just as an anti-snag measure. I used front sight only and I could deliver a minute of 6 inch circle shots out to 7 yards and I knew if I were off, I'd be shooing high.
    Thank you - I’ll check into them. I know as soon as I send the slide off, Glock will announce a MOS 26... but if Maple Leaf offers a lower cut than the others I’m interested.

Have you posted any pics of the final result?
    Ken

Don't think I have. I need to see if I have anything. I was thinking of selling that 26 and removed the RMR so snapping pics now won't help.

I have a direct milled Lone Wolf slide that is low enough I'm using normal Warren sights with a Holosun 407C V1.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Don't think I have. I need to see if I have anything. I was thinking of selling that 26 and removed the RMR so snapping pics now won't help.
    Were the irons similar in height to this one from the 26.5 thread? It’s a Maple Leaf job, so I assume yes. I’m looking for lower 1/3.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1074062
    Ken

I think those on the pic are taller.

User Tag List