Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: RDS choices for M&P Compact 4" optics-ready

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    I have noticed the improved accuracy in my 2 copies of the 2.0 4" compact, hopefully the new one in this thread is the same.

What do you think of the trigger on your compact, compared to the CORE trigger? Trying to decide whether I'll Apex my triggers; on the fence between keeping them stock vs upgrading. Definitely better than the stock Gen 1 trigger.
    I have two Compacts, one with and the other without a thumb safety. The non thumb safety one has a very usable trigger for carry and I have no plans to mess with it. The thumb safety Compact has a crunchy, heavier trigger, and I have purchased an Apex DCAEK kit for it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I’ll have to pull them out later and check again, but I have found my 2.0 triggers to be pretty consistent. It’s been a few months since I’ve done consistent work with the recruits but I’ve had occasion to shoot a bunch of theirs as well as being part of testing 750 2.0s a few months ago and a thousand 2.0s a couple weeks ago for function and point of aim/point of impact.

Most seem similar with the take up and wall, then a little bit of movement/slipping before the break. Every once in a while we’ll get one that has a really crisp trigger with no movement after the wall until the break.

OK got her out to the range for the first time this morning (pistol hadn't been fired yet either).

- 75 rounds of 115/124gr including Winchester, CCI, and some range ammo made by Idaho Ordnance. This is such a soft-shooting pistol and so accurate with the RDS, it felt like you could have kept shooting it all day without fatigue.
    - No issues in feeding, firing and extraction. One instance on the second magazine where it failed to lock back on empty. This issue does happen to some Gen 2 pistols, though it hasn't happened with my other 2 pistols.
    - Trigger is quite good for a striker fired pistol, especially when you compare it to the Gen 1 triggers. After the range session, tested on my Lyman gauge, based on 5 presses it averaged 5.75 lbs. That's consistent with my other two M&P Gen 2 pistols, one is nearly half a pound lighter on the trigger press (but that's after being well broken in), and the other is is slightly heavier, just over 6 lb. This factory trigger, like the ones on my other 2 M&P's, is good enough I will keep it stock rather than upgrade to Apex.

RDS:
    - Was easy to get it dialed in. Boresighted at home with a Leupold boresight, which worked better than I expected with the RDS. Initial POI only ended up being about 3 inches lower than POA.
    ** What's a good all-around distance to zero at, for defensive use? ]\
    - The SRO is SOOO easy to see and track with, compared to either RDS I've used on rifles, or my Vortex Venom that's on my 22/45. Definitely see the appeal for the visibility and clarity of the SRO.
    - Took a few rounds to settle into using the dot, especially locating it quickly after recoil for a follow-up shot. But it got noticeably easier as I went along.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    OK got her out to the range for the first time this morning (pistol hadn't been fired yet either).

- 75 rounds of 115/124gr including Winchester, CCI, and some range ammo made by Idaho Ordnance. This is such a soft-shooting pistol and so accurate with the RDS, it felt like you could have kept shooting it all day without fatigue.
    - No issues in feeding, firing and extraction. One instance on the second magazine where it failed to lock back on empty. This issue does happen to some Gen 2 pistols, though it hasn't happened with my other 2 pistols.
    - Trigger is quite good for a striker fired pistol, especially when you compare it to the Gen 1 triggers. After the range session, tested on my Lyman gauge, based on 5 presses it averaged 5.75 lbs. That's consistent with my other two M&P Gen 2 pistols, one is nearly half a pound lighter on the trigger press (but that's after being well broken in), and the other is is slightly heavier, just over 6 lb. This factory trigger, like the ones on my other 2 M&P's, is good enough I will keep it stock rather than upgrade to Apex.

RDS:
    - Was easy to get it dialed in. Boresighted at home with a Leupold boresight, which worked better than I expected with the RDS. Initial POI only ended up being about 3 inches lower than POA.
    ** What's a good all-around distance to zero at, for defensive use? ]\
    - The SRO is SOOO easy to see and track with, compared to either RDS I've used on rifles, or my Vortex Venom that's on my 22/45. Definitely see the appeal for the visibility and clarity of the SRO.
    - Took a few rounds to settle into using the dot, especially locating it quickly after recoil for a follow-up shot. But it got noticeably easier as I went along.
    Some people get really serious about zero distance. We used a ballistic calculator and found deviations of less than 2" at all the way out to 50 yards regardless of a 10, 15, or 25 yard zero. I think it matters more at what distance you can get a good group. We typically zero at 15 yards and then bring everyone back to 25 to confirm. If elevation is close we don't mess with it too much but if it's really off we'll move it. Windage will be tweaked as long as the person is still throwing decent and consistent groups. Obviously if you're working small targets like 2" circles up close you'll have that sight offset, but it's almost completely irrelevant for defensive use.

I have a buddy who studied this and swears by 12.5 or 13.5 yards. I do 25 yards out of habit and because I also use this distance for my PCC and shotgun with slugs. It is also a check on the precision of your gun/ammo combination. Truth is, I am more picky about windage than elevation. I have multiple COREs zeroed with 150 Syntech and another with 115 AE for practice, because they hit enough apart to matter and I have more guns than ammo these days.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have a 507c on a 2.0 compact 4". I'm pretty happy with it.

The gritty feel in the take up travel of the 2.0 is the little tab on the slide lock that puts pressure on the trigger bar for a distinct reset sound and feel. I don't shoot to reset other than sighting and other slow fire needs so I reduced the tab considerably. I still have enough reset for my purposes and there is zero annoying gritty feel. It always has had a clean break now the take up is as clean as the release.

An Apex trigger won't get rid of that take up grit but once that's gone the Apex triggers are a great addition.
    Last edited by Tawadc95; 12-02-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Site Supporter
    I got a really good deal on a Swampfox Justice during the BF sale. The Justice fits on a CORE RMR plate. Installed the Justice tonight - seems really nice. My S&W M&P Gen 2 CORE 4.25" came with metal CORE plates (pistol bought used off PF classifieds). Look forward to trying soon - will be interesting to compare with my one DPP and two SROs.

I went to sight my 507 in Thursday, it was pretty close out of the box, so, it just required some tweaking with windage. .
    The intent was to start at 5yds get it close then go to 25yds for zero and at that point start moving back in to see where poi was, with my reloads it was the same poi at 25yds all the way back into 5.

I'll take that any day. I'll settle for 1-1.5" elevation variance with changing distances, I just can't tolerate windage being off.

Site Supporter
    Took my "new to me" S&W M&P 2.0 Full size (4.25) 9mm CORE with Swamp Fox Justice to the range today. I mounted last night with blue locktite (the kind in tube like chapstick) and used torque wrench to 15 in-lbs. Used the S&W supplied CORE METAL plate. I got this on a BF deal with even better pricing as MIL plus a new "armored" hood that installs around the Justice. I test fit with the "hood" and the hood made it tall enough to block the Dawson BUIS that came with this pistol so i chose not to use the "hood". The Justice seems plenty sturdy and I do not plan on throwing it on rocks, etc. I have never owned a RMR - I have a DPP and two SROs. The Justice fits the RMR cut. adapter, etc. but I believe the Justice has a larger screen than the RMR. The Justice screen is wide but not as tall as the SRO. First impressions are positive for the Justice and I put about 100 rounds of my 9mm reloads through the M&P 2,o FS CORE with Justice. I have been focusing on long range rifle and Sporting Clays recently - good to get back with a pistol. I had no issues zeroing at about 12 yards then shooting conformation group at 25. I am NOT a group shooter but my first 25 yard group with "new-used" M&P 2.0 with Justice attached. Gotten spoiled on a full APEX kit M&P 5 inch with SRO. Ammo is my reloads - 115FMJ "pulls", mixed brass, 5.1 WSF assembled on a Dillon 550. Unknown primers - probably S&B or Winchester. Added some comparison pics with my M&P Gen 1 5 inch with SRO. PS - the Justice was getting "smoky" on front lens from the LCI on the M&P barrel hood - will need to be cleaned every 200 rounds or so. Still see though and functional at 100 rounds today.

Name:  IMG_0067.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  38.0 KBName:  IMG_0071.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  35.0 KBName:  IMG_0073.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  60.5 KBName:  IMG_0075.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  63.4 KBName:  IMG_0076.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  41.7 KB

@ranger, you shoot that M2.0 CORE much better than its previous owner! Nice shooting!

User Tag List