Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable Dumbbells

Adjustable Dumbbells

I need to get some weight work back into my routine; just hitting the elliptical every day is boring and I think I've reached the point of diminishing returns. My wife's friend has a set of Bowflex adjustables that she's in love with - look great but I wasn't looking to drop two Glocks on a pair of dumbbells. Anyone have recommendations for a similar design that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? In a perfect world, I'd like to get a set that has an upper limit near 90#s.

Thanks!

Unless you can find something in the classifieds, I think you'll have to deal with "quality costs".

I've had PowerBlocks (adjustable to 125# each) since the mid 90's and they were expensive even then. Never regretted the purchase, 25 years later.

Investing in your health is never a bad thing...especially if it keeps you out of the doctor's office.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I agree with @blues.

I bought a set of PowerBlocks over 20 years ago and have never regretted the purchase.

I've heard of lots of complaints of the Bowflex breaking. The adjuster tab to select the different weights is apparently plastic and not too durable.

An 80Lb bag of quikrete is $7.

Seal/Cover it with duct tape

Just pick it up and put it down every different way you can think of. Walk around with etc. you’ll he jacked in no time

Name:  C9C55A17-F65E-4EA3-AF96-9FE4ADD85BC7.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  45.4 KB

I have both the power blocks and the bowflex adjustable dumbbells.

POWER BLOCKS
    Pros: VERY durable and solid, made up of steel frame, weights, polymer/plastic sleeve. It would be hard to break these. Very easy to adjust weights with one slide fork that locks into the plastic sleeve.
    Cons: Blocky rectangular shape, which makes some movements uncomfortable and not ergonomic. Tricep overhead extension for example is hard to do with powerblocks. Farmers walk harder as the rectangular shape forces you to hold out the blocks father out. Weight adjustments in 10 lb increments.

BOWFLEX dumbbells
    Pros: shaped more like traditional dumbbells so conducive to all movements. Weight increments microadjustable (i.e. in 2.5 lb increments)
    Cons: they do seem more flimsy and i can imagine breaking these if you drop them. but for regular use they have held up the past 4 years. I would not use these dumbbells to do push ups on. Very wobbly. Takes more time to adjust weights because you have to rotate the wheels on both ends of the dumbbells.

I have both because one set is at home and one set is at work.

Hope this helps

The selectable dumbbells look super-cool and I wouldn't mind a set.

Honestly, I would probably be keeping an eye on my local craigslist. I was just checking prices for new gym equipment and it seems to be a bit like the ammo situation now: Lots of sold out and what's available looks overpriced.

I really like traditional hex dumbbells but I don't see any need to buy a full set right away. I would buy them in 20 lb. increments starting with the most useful weight first. For example, buy a pair of 30s and a pair of 50s. That will cover a lot of ground. Later buy 10s, 70s, 90s.

The smaller increments are nice to have but, honestly, I find 20 lbs is usually the difference between a "light" set and a "heavy" set.

I don't know if they changed the PowerBlocks since I got mine 25 years ago, but the pair I have have 2 x 2.5 lb removable ballast weights in each. So, for example I can have 40 lbs, 45 lbs, 47.5 lbs and then 50 lbs.

I also have Platemates in 5/8 and 1.25 lb pairs for each dumbbell...plus a number of speaker magnets ranging from a quarter pound to 1.225 lbs each.

Pretty much all the adjustment I can ask for...and no no need to make 10 lb jumps for each hand.

For what it's worth...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Not as clean or as easy as a premade set but if you ever think you would get a barbell there are Olympic plate dumbbell handles that you can build out to what ever weight you’d want. Downside is you need the handles and plates.

I had the smaller bowflex adjustable set once upon a time. I didn't have any issues with them, but I think the concept offers limited utility.

I'll echo what @Duke said- find something heavy and pick it up. Carry it. Throw it. Repeat.

I've got some of the brute force stuff https://www.urbruteforce.com/ (no affiliation). You can end up with a ton of options in a very small footprint.

User Tag List