Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slide manipulations with a dot

Site Supporter

Slide manipulations with a dot

Mods if this doesn't belong in this subforum please move.

I running a Glock 34.5 MOS with CHP V4 plate.
    During normal administrative pistol handling, make ready, show clear, dry firing, etc.
    I'm pretty good about not grabbing the dot.

During a match with time pressure, if I have to rack the slide to clear a malfunction, I think I end up grabbing the dot at times.
    Should I be practicing an overhand grip on the slide? Then I may run the risk of muzzling myself.
    Should I not be worried about it, just grab the dot?
    Is there a better way?

Thanks for any input.

Following. Still trying to come with terms myself.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I think are a number of viable methods. With longer barrel pistols like the 34 and 5 inch CORE, I tend to grab the slide in front of the optic, and let the back of my palm contact the front of the optic. The contact with the optic anchors my hand and offers some more leverage.

With a shorter slide like a Glock 19/45, I slingshot the slide from behind the optic, as the shorter barrel doesn’t allow me enough clearance to make me feel comfortable in terms of getting in front of the barrel.

I try not to grab the optic as I worry about touching controls or levering on the mounting system. That doesn’t seem to worry the Sage guy, though!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've always just grabbed the slide over the optic if it is an emergency drill, or use front serrations if it is administrative and I can take my time. The size of my hands makes it relatively easy to reach over the optic to get get a good grasp on the slide, but I don't concern myself too much with putting pressure on the optic either.

I would think if your mounting system can survive the reciprocating slide, occasional pressure from a slide manipulation shouldn't hurt it.

I find myself doing a judo chop at the base of the optic/slide on malfunctions. For administrative actions I use the front serrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I sling shot from the rear. Sometimes I end up grabbing part of the optic but it’s never been a problem. And it works with any pistol, optic or not.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I have ACRO's mounted on my carry gun and my backup gun.

I have zero concerns using the optic to give additional leverage on the slide if I need to run it. I don't run around deliberately slamming the optic into hard surfaces to rack the slide, but if the occasion arises where doing so is necessary once or twice I have no problem doing that either.

I try to avoid touching the glass, but that's primarily about not smudging the window with dirty hands.
    3/15/2016

An issue with grabbing the optic is when you turn the optic off or change intensity.

Optics or irons, for consistency reasons, overhand grab of slide in front of ejection port / by front serrations. With optic at times my palm ends up in contact with glass. Not too worried about loosening the optic, and palms are generally mud-free.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Optics or irons, for consistency reasons, overhand grab of slide in front of ejection port / by front serrations. With optic at times my palm ends up in contact with glass. Not too worried about loosening the optic, and palms are generally mud-free.
    Didn’t you tell me a well endowed blonde caused your optic to come loose on a CZ by grabbing the thing too much?

User Tag List