Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: RO Fatally Shot at NY USPSA Match

I'm wondering what kind of holster from one of the descriptions of the incident in that thread.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    I just read the NY forum and it mentioned something that we might not have discussed. The gun being not drop safe has been mentioned. The forum has a post that when holstering, the holster did not lock and the gun fell out. Also that certain holsters if they don't lock, a bump will drop the gun out.

So, is that a cause for concern? I have seen the USPSA style that seem minimal as they don't really encapsulate most of the gun. I understand that is for speed and no one expects the holsters to be 'realistic' - which isn't a consideration in a game, we know.

Idpa holsters: A. Must be suitable for all day concealed carry, and worn on each stage regardless of the start position.

So is the holster a contributor?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I just read the NY forum and it mentioned something that we might not have discussed. The gun being not drop safe has been mentioned. The forum has a post that when holstering, the holster did not lock and the gun fell out. Also that certain holsters if they don't lock, a bump will drop the gun out.

So, is that a cause for concern? I have seen the USPSA style that seem minimal as they don't really encapsulate most of the gun. I understand that is for speed and no one expects the holsters to be 'realistic' - which isn't a consideration in a game, we know.

Idpa holsters: A. Must be suitable for all day concealed carry, and worn on each stage regardless of the start position.

So is the holster a contributor?
    Some assumptions here: If the shooter was lowering the hammer, it is likely they were shooting production or carry optics. IF that were the case, holster requirements disallow for crazy race style holsters. OTOH, it is possible they were shooting another division that allows for such.

Site Supporter
    Just know what the forum post said - one day there will be a complete analysis. One could see a law suit against CZ and the holster firm. There have been suits over non drop safe guns shooting someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Just know what the forum post said - one day there will be a complete analysis. One could see a law suit against CZ
    Possible but less likely. People, including some on this site, have hammered on their CZs with mallets. They don't go off if they have OEM parts in. I bet that gun had an extended firing pin and low power firing pin spring.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Possible but less likely. People, including some on this site, have hammered on their CZs with mallets. They don't go off if they have OEM parts in. I bet that gun had an extended firing pin and low power firing pin spring.
    Yeah, I've read those posts, and seen the video of what happens when there *is* an extended firing pin installed. (BANG!) People were also reporting that they could demonstrate a continuous physical linkage from hammer-->firing pin-->primer with the extended pins when the hammer is down, which (to me, at least) indicates that if such a gun was to fall on its hammer on a hard surface, ignition could occur. IMO that means extended firing pins are unsafe in CZs such as the Shadow/Shadow 2 which do not have firing pin blocks and should not be used in those guns, but I'm just a lowly C-class who occasionally ROs at local matches and would prefer not to get shot if somebody drops one, so I admit to some bias.

If they are using firing pins so long as to reach from down hammer to primer, would a firing pin block help?
    If they are using firing pins so long as to reach from down hammer to breech face, would a firing pin block help?

Anecdote alert: About 50 years ago, a college classmate's father shot himself in the foot through not realizing that while a Star might look like a 1911, it did not have an inertia firing pin.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Let me point out a common misconception. But first I must declare that I have not observed it here. About non drop safe pistols. Some might think that the pistol, when dropped, must land on the hammer. Not so. Let's take the hammer out of the discussion. Discharge occurs when inertia of the firing pin over rides the firing pin spring. The pin moves forward with sufficient force to indent primer.

Back to pistols dropped on the hammer. If sear engagement and half cock notches are broken, then this can and most likely will cause the weapon to fire. In this example I'm thinking about 1911 type designs. I own, shoot, and tinker with CZ 75 pistols. I do not think that the robust hammer sear arrangement would break if one of these pistols were dropped.
    Note I said do not think. It is an educated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    If they are using firing pins so long as to reach from down hammer to primer, would a firing pin block help?
    If they are using firing pins so long as to reach from down hammer to breech face, would a firing pin block help?
    I suppose probably not, given that the triggers in CZs apparently have to be all the way back through the entire decocking process in order to let the hammer go all the way forward. Perhaps they shouldn't be used in any non-decocker CZ, then.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    IMO that means extended firing pins are unsafe in CZs such as the Shadow/Shadow 2 which do not have firing pin blocks and should not be used in those guns
    I agree.
    About a year ago one of those extended pins got stuck solidly, protruding out of breech face hole. I replaced it with an OEM. That gun has not missed a bit since, no light strikes, and sub 3 lbs SA pull.
    I wanted to remove the rest of those long pins awhile ago but forgot until now.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List