Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: RO Fatally Shot at NY USPSA Match

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    Someone's classification has fuck-all to do with the legitimacy of their opinions re: safety.
    Respectfully, I disagree with this statement.

Action shooting requires a higher awareness of muzzle and trigger finger discipline. A shooter with a high classification has demonstrated, repeatedly and publically, an ability to rapidly and safely negotiate a variety of field courses. If you have the time to spare, I suggest listening to podcasts of GM-level USPSA shooters where they're discussing safety.

The death that started this is shocking and unfortunate, but I don't see a need for rule changes.

P.S. - I'm a nobody who shoots club matches. Take it for what it is worth.
    Last edited by Bergeron; 11-13-2020 at 04:31 PM. Reason: P.S.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I’ve never met an RO who enjoyed power tripping that was also a good shooter.

Also, if I’m getting paid to do a job and the shooter and I are both okay with the assumption of risk and I’m breaking any of the clearly defined safety rules that are in the rulebook, the RO can eat my whole ass if he tries to interfere by imposing his own interpretation of the rules. This is why we have a fucking rule book in the first place - so we can be clear on what is an isn’t allowed.
    CleverNickname doesn't know me by my screen name but I saw one of his match videos and it turns out I've shot some of the same matches as him. He's a good shooter.

I get it, it's not illegal within the rules but let's be realistic, is being 10 degrees closer to Bob's muzzle going to make the photos that much better???

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Respectfully, I disagree with this statement.

Action shooting requires a higher awareness of muzzle and trigger finger discipline. A shooter with a high classification has demonstrated, repeatedly and publically, an ability to rapidly and safely negotiate a variety of field courses. If you have the time to spare, I suggest listening to podcasts of GM-level USPSA shooters where they're discussing safety.

The death that started this is shocking and unfortunate, but I don't see a need for rule changes.

P.S. - I'm a nobody who shoots club matches. Take it for what it is worth.
    I am also a nobody who shoots club matches mostly and finishes around 75% at the major matches in my area. A shooter with a high classification can generally be safe in field courses because they have put in deliberate effort into practicing the stuff that will help them not get sent home by an overzealous RO, like moving uprange staying within the 180, not getting DQ'd when doing reloads that are near the 180, etc. That does not really make them any more or less qualified to judge the risk of standing 15 degrees from a target. The first thing is burning into your subconscious the ability to move and gunhandle safely on a field course. The latter is conscious risk assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    I get it, it's not illegal within the rules but let's be realistic, is being 10 degrees closer to Bob's muzzle going to make the photos that much better???
    It might. It might not. It might be the difference between getting the cover and getting buried in the back of an article. Regardless, unless the RO is also a professional photographer, if I’m not breaking the rules pls leave me along and let me do my job.

I apologize to everyone in this thread that I might have been a cockbag to about this, this is a real hot button issue for me because it’s happened more than once. I’ve lost count of the number of ROs who’ve said “you can’t stand there” and then pull the “RESPEK MY AUTHORITAU” routine, and CleverNickname’s response felt exactly like that.

I’ve also has plenty of ROs say “hey I know you’re working, do you mind moving a little bit?” Those guys I’m always like “absolutely, no worries.”

I’ve also has plenty of ROs say “hey I know you’re working, do you mind moving a little bit?” Those guys I’m always like “absolutely, no worries.”
    That's certainly the approach I'd take if I was the RO. What I said earlier in the thread about not starting a shooter if anyone other than said shooter is downrange of me was in no way meant to imply that I'd approach it with the baseline assumption that either side of the conversation would need to be an asshole.

RO Fatally Shot at NY USPSA Match

... ROs who’ve said “you can’t stand there” and then pull the “RESPEK MY AUTHORITAU”
    Yeah, that is annoying and I’ve had my share of that as a competitor. But also as an RO.

I don’t like to RO because when there’s a conflict or DQ issue it detracts from my focus and performance in the match. So, the moment there’s any hint of that from a shooter or bystander, I’m out. I just set down the brick and let someone else do it.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Triggered - flashing back to my long ago career as a photojournalist and the daily fuckery...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yeah, that is annoying and I’ve had my share of that as a competitor. But also as an RO.

I don’t like to RO because when there’s a conflict or DQ issue it detracts from my focus and performance in the match. So, the moment there’s any hint of that from a shooter or bystander, I’m out. I just set down the brick and let someone else do it.
    There’s a reason after my cert lapsed I never got it renewed. I’ll paste and reset like a motherfucker, but RO? Nah fam

Site Supporter
    Pistols without the firing pin safety or block most certainly are subject to firing when dropped. installing a longer firing pin along with a reduced power firing pin spring while removing the firing pin safety will increase odds tremendously. One of the CZ target pistols is shipped without the firing pin safety. Replacing this pistol's firing pin with a longer Cajun firing pin would be hazardous.

In 1911's without a firing pin safety, I replace the steel firing pin with a much lighter titanium pin that has less mass and at the same time replace the firing pin spring with a heavier spring. This will reduce probability of the pistol firing when dropped but will not eliminate it. The original S&W Model 39 lacked a firing pin safety or block, and it too was subject to firing when dropped. I have seen Star and Ilama brand pistols whose firing pins protruded when the hammer was lowered--an obvious example of poor quality control.

Dropping an AR bolt on a live round will cause a firing pin dimple on the primer. The mechanism whereby the pin moves forward to dent the primer is the same seen when a dropped pistol's firing pin hits the primer causing the pistol to fire. The pin's mass gives it sufficient inertia to continue forward to indent the primer. Bang. I write this for the reader who may not shoot AR's.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

There’s a reason after my cert lapsed I never got it renewed. I’ll paste and reset like a motherfucker, but RO? Nah fam
    That attitude is why local clubs are dying.
    Volunteers are the lifeblood of the sport, no volunteers, no sport.

I'm saying this as a USPSA MD who hasn't held a match in 6 months because nobody wants to help setup or run the matches...
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List