Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: RO Fatally Shot at NY USPSA Match

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    For those not in open or familiar with that, why would someone do that? What is the benefit? This is not a criticism, but a question.
    For reference I shoot Production with a Sig X Five. What would be the benefit of removing a safety?
    I can answer from the 1911/2011 standpoint. I always removed/deactivated the grip safeties on my comp guns because with a high grip they are not reliable for my hand size, but I have large hands and generally get slide bite on 1911/2011s as well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    How many rifles and shotguns do you think are drop safe in all of the 3Gun, 2Gun, and PRS matches around the country?

Running around with loaded guns is dangerous. As is pretty much anything in life worth doing. This is obviously a tragedy, and we should try to prevent it from happening again, but no amount of rule-making will eliminate the possibility of a fatality in a sport that involves running around with loaded guns.
    What is frightening is seeing a sling screw up and drop the gun on the ground. Seen that.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    What is frightening is seeing a sling screw up and drop the gun on the ground. Seen that.
    Agreed. And on rifles there are so many people who have <2lb single stage triggers, and they often forget to flip on the safety when running between positions.

In the Run'n'gun biathlons I compete in this is compounded with people being hot, exhausted, and dehydrated. I RO'd the last stage of a 10k run in GA last August. Half the competitors were delerious from heat exhaustion when they ran up to my stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Racoon View Post
    You guess some guy could?

1. The Sig wasn't recalled. It was a voluntary "upgrade."
    2. CZ Shadow and other 75 series and their clones for one (or for several). Any number of others that may have been modified and are no longer drop safe but have safeties intact. Any number of others that are thought to be drop safe but haven't had a blogger figured out they aren't. (kind like with the Sig.)

No, what I think is disingenuous is to say "Don't look at IDPA. They have a rule against it." when we both know the rule is isn't enforced and is in fact unenforceable.
    Of course you think it's disingenuous, as you change what I said to suit whatever argument you're trying to have. I never said the rule was enforceable, as a matter of fact I sort of pointed that out in my previous post.

I get where you're going with this and don't really disagree, but I'm not going to engage in a continuous circular argument with you where the salient points keep changing. Cheers.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

This will rustle some feathers, but I have noticed that a number of competitors at my local matches are:

1. Not particularly safety conscious (speed holstering, ultra light triggers, etc.)
    2. Focused on competitive shooting, and not interested or even aware of aspects of gun handling relating to defensive or tactical applications (i.e. dudes with tricked out race guns who don't even bother getting a CCW license).

For this subset of folks, competitive shooting is ballistic golf, a fun hobby. They seem to overlook the fact that their guns are lethal tools. Their safety habits often reflect that. Most of these folks have never taken a class. ETA: one of these guys recently put a bullet through his leg at a local match. Nice guy, long-time member and decent shooter, but crappy gun handling skills.

(Mandatory caveat: Yes, there's a lot of competitive shooters with tactical pedigrees and/or a solid understanding that guns are defensive tools. I'm not talking about them.)
    Last edited by Mark D; 11-10-2020 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    This will rustle some feathers, but I have noticed that a number of competitors at my local matches are:

1. Not particularly safety conscious (speed holstering, ultra light triggers, etc.)
    2. Focused on competitive shooting, and not interested or even aware of aspects of gun handling relating to defensive or tactical applications (i.e. dudes with tricked out race guns who don't even bother getting a CCW license).

For this subset of folks, competitive shooting is ballistic golf, a fun hobby. They seem to overlook the fact that their guns are lethal tools. Their safety habits often reflect that. Most of these folks have never taken a class. ETA: one of these guys recently put a bullet through his leg at a local match. Nice guy, long-time member and decent shooter, but crappy gun handling skills.

(Mandatory caveat: Yes, there's a lot of competitive shooters with tactical pedigrees and/or a solid understanding that guns are defensive tools. I'm not talking about them.)
    In my experience having the mindset that guns are defensive tools has no real correlation with good or bad safety practices. I have met plenty of people who carry guns who have absolutely terrible habits and lax mindset regarding safety. This forum is probably the only place online where people are generally realistic about the fact that an accident could happen to them if they don't follow some common sense best practices.

Site Supporter
    If USPSA safety concerns you - do not go to the clay pigeon sports as you will be swept etc. regularly

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    If USPSA safety concerns you - do not go to the clay pigeon sports as you will be swept etc. regularly
    Yes, but those shotguns are unloaded.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I'd like to gently push back on this. Back in the early aughties, I was a member of my University's clay shooting team, and also shot regularly at the local clays range. I was always favorably impressed with the muzzle discipline that I experienced.

There's not really any ways to verify drop safety across multiple types of guns and divisions, and I personally think that the rules mandating against trying to grab a dropped gun are good ideas.

The safest match is one that is never shot. Because we are going to shoot, there will be risks. The absolute rarity of this sort of occurrence speaks to the quality of the safety rules already in place. I don't know what sort of productive and realistic additional rules could be put into place, and while we should study and learn from this tragedy, there is no absolutely safe course of action for anything in life.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Yes, but those shotguns are unloaded.
    And it’s perfectly f.i.n.e. that they rest those unloaded shotguns muzzle down on top of their feet. Why would you think that’s dangerous? it’s so funny that you think that’s dangerous, Duelist. SMH.

Some of those guys even lace a muzzle resting device into their bootlace to make this very safe practice even easier.

But G-d forbid the safety nazi (with an inordinate amount of influence over how the range is run) from the shotgun range drive by an action pistol match and see something he disagrees with, or even worse, sees a picture from a match with someone moving while shooting.

Dude has chased more than one fun match out. Saying anything about shotgun safety practices in his presence might get you ejected. Yelled at, at the least.

User Tag List