Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: RO Fatally Shot at NY USPSA Match

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    So if a Shadow/Shadow 2 falls directly on its hammer, there would be at least some chance that it would discharge, no?
    A drop on the hammer wouldn’t drive the firing pin forward. If the gun fired, it would be for another reason, most typical would be trigger bounce. The firing pin block would more prevent discharge from a drop on the muzzle, that would cause inertial to bounce the firing pin forward.

It could have easily been my SVI as it has no firing pin drop safety. SVI does use an extra-power firing pin spring, but the SVI firing pins are steel. As such, I do not believe it is drop safe nor do I wish to have my belief validated.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Interesting. A friend of mine has a Shadow. Do any agencies or armed forces use them?
    Seems unlikely given how much more expensive they are than normal CZ 75s, and the fact that they're specifically marketed as competition guns.

Site Supporter
    Once saw a guy draw his gun and throw it about 10 feet in front him. He said: OH, I threw my piece down range.

Yes, indeed. Bye bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Yeah, I guess some guy could show up with his not drop safe pistol, what modern pistol would that be besides the Sig P320 which has been recalled and upgraded?

Which shooting organizations make it mandatory to disassemble and check the internals of the participants' firearms prior to allowing them to compete? Do they hire competent gunsmiths to verify the proper tolerances? Isn't it disingenuous to point out that IDPA uses their rules for CYA while leaving out every other shooting sport in the USA which does exactly the same thing? Participation in organized sports of any sort requires a certain amount of integrity, both on the part of the competitor and the organization.

You guess some guy could?

1. The Sig wasn't recalled. It was a voluntary "upgrade."
    2. CZ Shadow and other 75 series and their clones for one (or for several). Any number of others that may have been modified and are no longer drop safe but have safeties intact. Any number of others that are thought to be drop safe but haven't had a blogger figured out they aren't. (kind like with the Sig.)

No, what I think is disingenuous is to say "Don't look at IDPA. They have a rule against it." when we both know the rule is isn't enforced and is in fact unenforceable.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    It could have easily been my SVI as it has no firing pin drop safety. SVI does use an extra-power firing pin spring, but the SVI firing pins are steel. As such, I do not believe it is drop safe nor do I wish to have my belief validated.
    It is not very drop safe if it lands on the muzzle, but this gun didn’t land on the muzzle. A fpb does not affect a drop induced discharge that is likely to result in fatality. Fpbs are good, but this is unlikely to be related to the fpb.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    100% with you on that - it definitely tweaks me out when I see people holstering super quickly and without looking, especially when they're clearly hunting for the holster because they miss on the first try. Not sure how to implement it in the rules, though. Anything requiring RO discretion rather than objective measurement can become problematic, rules-wise.
    Put it in the rules: Look your pistol into the holster, at a speed slow enough for an RO of normal abilities to discern if your trigger finger is in a safe location.

If someone is looking at their holster and misses it, RO discretion on a DQ. If someone isn't looking and misses the holster, automatic DQ.

Seems logical after a hard day and some Jameson...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Yeah, I guess some guy could show up with his not drop safe pistol, what modern pistol would that be besides the Sig P320 which has been recalled and upgraded?

Which shooting organizations make it mandatory to disassemble and check the internals of the participants' firearms prior to allowing them to compete? Do they hire competent gunsmiths to verify the proper tolerances? Isn't it disingenuous to point out that IDPA uses their rules for CYA while leaving out every other shooting sport in the USA which does exactly the same thing? Participation in organized sports of any sort requires a certain amount of integrity, both on the part of the competitor and the organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Racoon View Post
    You guess some guy could?

1. The Sig wasn't recalled. It was a voluntary "upgrade."
    2. CZ Shadow and other 75 series and their clones for one (or for several). Any number of others that may have been modified and are no longer drop safe but have safeties intact. Any number of others that are thought to be drop safe but haven't had a blogger figured out they aren't. (kind like with the Sig.)

No, what I think is disingenuous is to say "Don't look at IDPA. They have a rule against it." when we both know the rule is isn't enforced and is in fact unenforceable.
    The filing in the latest(July 2020) SIG 320 drop safety lawsuit claims only 20% of the original design P320s covered by the Voluntary Upgrade Program (VUP) have been sent in and upgraded.

As discussed previously on PF and elsewhere, the striker fired Caniks, which have gained popularity as a budget competition gun, have drop safety issues and have had documented NDs from drops.

Though I'm not aware of ND's, during the original P320 drop gate hysteria, the various mallet tests were abe to get most fully tensioned striker guns including the HK VP9 and PPQ to release the striker when hit from behind with rubber mallets.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    In a 1911, a firing pin block prevents the gun from firing when it is dropped on its muzzle. I don’t know from Shadows, but I would be more interested in hammer sear interface and half cock behavior.
    A Series 70 (people will complain about calling them that, but tfb)relies on the half-cock notch "catching" the sear on the way down. The firing pin spring resists the forward movement of the pin, so the half-cock doesn't need to fully stop the hammer, only retard the momentum enough to allow the firing pin spring to work. The problem is that the pressure to "be competitive" works directly against that:

*Reduce the firing pin spring weight to improve reliability
    *Extend the firing pin to improve reliability
    *Reduce sear spring pressure for a lighter trigger
    *Have smaller engagement surfaces on the sear to have a lighter, crisper trigger without actually being good at making a trigger
    *Have a heavy mainspring to soften recoil at the end of the cycle, and improve reliability

There are also some things that can be bad that would exacerbate all this, like mis-placed or oversized pin holes, or undersized or poorly-fit pins. Not to mention wear and tear in a high-volume sport. Also note that not all of these things will necessarily do the things I've attributed to them, but rather, people will do them because that's what they think they're accomplishing. And while I don't do USPSA and thus wouldn't want to say that having a higher minimum trigger pull weight would be a good idea, I would say that having a more duty-gun-like trigger weight would disincentivize Bubba quite a bit.

A Series 80 has a trigger-activated firing pin block. Not because of the hammer falling in the event of a dropped gun, but rather to prevent the inertia of the firing pin itself from overcoming its spring and causing ignition.

Site Supporter
    The filing in the latest(July 2020) SIG 320 drop safety lawsuit claims only 20% of the original design P320s covered by the Voluntary Upgrade Program (VUP) have been sent in and upgraded.
    As an somewhat related diversion, you may remember the Ruger Single Action revolver recall for drop safe issues. A free modification was offered. The gun as originally released recommended the classic 5 round loading. There was a case on the old CourtTV where a guy drops the original gun and shoots himself. He sues. The jury is presented evidence that the guy knew of the recall and original instructions. They find for Ruger. However, Ruger still gives him a chunk of change (nowhere the request amount) to avoid an appeal. The lawyer probably took one third. Wonder if it covered the trial costs.

If there is a lawsuit, firearms experts will be waiting by their electronic devices for the call or text. However, do you denounce the shooting sports.

User Tag List