Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Permanent Daylight Saving Time?

I’ve been thinking about this recently.

Set high noon on the winter solstice as ‘noon’ and deal with the change of the rise/set for the rest of the year as it changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    I’ve been thinking about this recently.

Set high noon on the winter solstice as ‘noon’ and deal with the change of the rise/set for the rest of the year as it changes.
    High noon on the Solstice *where*?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

East/west location makes a difference. I moved from NH to Michigan -- from the eastern edge of the time zone to the western edge -- and noticed the difference. Having it be light until almost 10PM in the summer with DS (sunset after 9PM) was odd.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    I'd prefer full time DST -- I hate when it gets dark before 5 p.m. Right now, sunset is about 4:30 here in eastern Washington, and it will be before 4:10 in December.

The gain an hour thing in the fall doesn't work for me -- it just screws up my sleep schedule, which isn't very good anyway. I just wake up an hour earlier than I need to for about five days.
    ^^^This.

Site Supporter
    Putting Indiana on the DST time-change bullshit is one of the things I'll never forgive Mitch Daniels for. They had it right for all those years and he went and fucked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I used to live a few miles from the "change/don't change" dividing line and worked on the other side of said dividing line. The television channels were also from that side, so the TV time was not your time and the 6 o'clock news wasn't on at 6 o'clock. And if someone asked you the time you'd have to add the caveat of "fast time" or "slow time", as it was locally referred to (which I thought was unfair since slow time was just as fast as fast time, fast time just got a head start)
    I feel you there. I grew up on the IL/IN line and worked around Louisville for a while right around the eastern/central dividing line. On the latter, my damn phone never knew what time it was.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Student
    Whatever allows us to keep doing nothing over here.

I’m in the pick one and leave it alone camp.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Split the difference. Go to Standard time + :30 and leave it there.

Everybody will be unhappy with it, which means it's probably the perfect choice.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Put everything on US Central Daylight Time which is obviously a superior schedule, and let the other places adjust their work hours.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Let’s all go UTC and be done with it.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List