Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hunting: Processing on your own or going to a butcher?

The last couple of years I have used a processor, both for peace in the house and less time investment on my part. Before then, I would butcher them myself, having done so since I was a teen. While we have a grinder as we grind chicken breast for tacos and pasta dishes, it always seemed that when I would need to use it for grinding deer shoulders that my wife needed the kitchen for something else. I got the clue and now use a local processor who has a really good summer sausage recipe. The ground deer meat usually ends up in chili for the big extended family Christmas Eve gettogether with the summer sausage as an appetizer for the same. The backstraps usually go to the dogs or are wrapped in bacon and smoked. Much of the rest is given to friends and family.

Nice thing about butchering your own deer is that you can see that there is such a thing as too much rifle for Alabama deer. One of my wife's uncles uses a Ruger 77 in .300 Win Mag. The amount of ruined meat is impressive compared to my .243 Win or 9x23 Win.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    More food for thought (hyuk)... Some of this depends on the game. It's one thing to do your own deer, a widely available animal that you can often get get several tags for and reliably restock annually. Same for birds. Other game that is less available, more expensive tags, draws/lotteries, years of waiting, or travel for is probably not the one to experiment on unless you're just going to donate.
    Your argument makes sense. I wish I could restock annually, get more than one tag per species per year, or cull does.

Now that I am a few years from retiring I am buying preference points in CO (need to check if I can do the same in AZ and WY) and looking to save up about 5-10 years of preference points in some states where I can, and then put in for good hunts when I retire.

Locally I like deer and elk, (I put in for antlerless elk locally), but only seem to get drawn once every 3-4 years.

A former co-worker just retired and opened a taxedermy shop out of his garage. He and/or his kids get drawn annually, and because he homeschools he butchers the animals himself, and uses it for field trip material for the kids for biology, ecology, ethics, etc. Disecting frogs in high school was meh, butchering an elk and eating the heart, liver and kidneys as a celebratory camp feast would rule.

While I prefer to do my own, I am probably in the minority due to skill sets. Looking at my bookcase now I have at least three thick books devoted to sausage making, meat preserving and butchery of various critters. Two of them are intended for or scalable to commercial operations. Several DVD sets and a bunch of cookbooks.

I ain't afraid of no roast. (No need for the pitchforks, I'll show myself out.)

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The last couple of years I have used a processor, both for peace in the house and less time investment on my part. Before then, I would butcher them myself, having done so since I was a teen. While we have a grinder as we grind chicken breast for tacos and pasta dishes, it always seemed that when I would need to use it for grinding deer shoulders that my wife needed the kitchen for something else. I got the clue and now use a local processor who has a really good summer sausage recipe. The ground deer meat usually ends up in chili for the big extended family Christmas Eve gettogether with the summer sausage as an appetizer for the same. The backstraps usually go to the dogs or are wrapped in bacon and smoked. Much of the rest is given to friends and family.

Nice thing about butchering your own deer is that you can see that there is such a thing as too much rifle for Alabama deer. One of my wife's uncles uses a Ruger 77 in .300 Win Mag. The amount of ruined meat is impressive compared to my .243 Win or 9x23 Win.
    Backstraps ...... going to the ..... dogs.

Travesty, sir.

Make steak medallions of the backstraps, grill them medium rare with some cilantro and lime. Bacon wrap is allowed but not necessary. Nirvana.

I agree on the .243: pleasant to shoot, effective, doesn’t blow up a shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post

Travesty, sir.

Make steak medallions of the backstraps, grill them medium rare with some cilantro and lime. Bacon wrap is allowed but not necessary. Nirvana.

I cut them into 6" long pieces, dry brine, smoke till they hit 110F internally, then quickly finish on the grill until rare. Let rest, then slice thin.

Rare or medium rare backstrap is better than most high dollar steaks out there.

Travesty, sir.

It is a bit of a travesty, but it keeps the peace in the house. My wife much prefers grilled ribeye to grilled venison.

The backstraps usually go to the dogs or are wrapped in bacon and smoked. Much of the rest is given to friends and family.
    Backstraps ...... going to the ..... dogs. Travesty, sir.
    Yes. How is @farscott still a member here? Surely, this is a TOS violation of some sort.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    It is a bit of a travesty, but it keeps the peace in the house. My wife much prefers grilled ribeye to grilled venison.
    My response to that kind of situation is: more for me!

User Tag List