Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR-9 barrel length

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    If I'm spending the coin CMMG wants for that RDB bolt technology I don't want to use converted pmags. I want a lower that takes MP5, Scorpion, or Colt/Uzi mags. Not sure I see the point in the money for the RDB when it uses a 5.56 footprint. If I was using it as a training analog I'd probably opt for the increased recoil/cost savings of the pure blowback operation.
    100% agreed. I looked over the weekend because apparently New Frontier Arms is starting to make a lower that will take Scorpion mags but apparently making it work with the CMMG RDB system requires some major alterations on the bolt to be done which is off putting.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    To be honest, I’ve been tempted to divest my 9mm ARs. My Scorpion fills the need, and if I picked up a Ruger PC Charger I think I’d be covered. I built my first 9mm AR ca. 1998, and they run well, but...
    I have a Ruger PC Carbine and a Scorpion and every time I think about an AR9 I ask myself what it would do that those 2 guns don't do and other than be the same ergo and controls of the AR there really isn't anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    @psalms144.1 I second this. My first AR-9 was a 5.5 inch build with a quad rail handguard. Adding sights and a light left little room for anything other than a magwell hold, and I'm a little guy. It might have been better with a VFG and today's slim M-LOK handguards and accessories.

What do you plan to do with it? Home defense, range toy, competition, trainer for a centerfire SBR? My current build is for the latter three, and I will be using an 8.5" CMMG Radial Delayed Blowback barrel and bolt on a standard SBRed lower using their 9mm adapters for PMags. It's a little pricier than a standard blowback build, but it's smoother shooting, has a bolt carrier that can be tuned, and I can train with full size AR mags. If I were to get a PCC for serious use in the smallest package available, I'd probably get an MP5K clone or B&T APC9K if a folding stock is important, or I'd consider the Glock mag version of the CMMG Banshee with the 5" barrel if you want the standard AR controls and don't care about a folding stock.
    How is the recoil on the CMMG RDB system? I keep thinking about messing around with it but I'm curious how much it would really reduce the recoil.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    If I'm spending the coin CMMG wants for that RDB bolt technology I don't want to use converted pmags.
    If it helps, the CMMG Banshee originally came out using Glock mag lowers, polarizing as they can be. My first one was one of these, and it ran like a top. The relatively new Glock OEM 24 rd mags were the perfect length, as I found the 33rd ones a little bit too long.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    How is the recoil on the CMMG RDB system? I keep thinking about messing around with it but I'm curious how much it would really reduce the recoil.
    I found it to be significantly softer than the straight blowback build I mentioned earlier. When I threw a SiCO Octane 9HD on it, I bought the buffer tuning system and added the lowest weight. It ran flawlessly with my 147 gr reloads both suppressed and unsuppressed. I've never shot an MP5 or MPX, but the general interwebz consensus is that it's almost as soft as the former, and much more reliable than the latter.

I have two 8" CMMG RDB uppers on AR lowers (one for HD, one for competition). They run 100% using converted Pmags in the CMMG configuration. I like the idea of having an SBR lower than I can run multiple uppers on and the CMMG uppers use a standard carbine buffer; I may need to add some weight to the carrier when my suppressor comes in. Recoil seems pretty minimal; took me a bit to figure out that stouter loads actually reduce dot bounce, but this appears to be the case with straight blowback as well.

Can the upper from a factory complete CMMG Resolute RDB rifle that takes Glock mags be used on a standard AR lower with converted PMAGs? It wasn't clear to me whether anything about the upper (bolt, etc.) is specific to the mag type.

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    Can the upper from a factory complete CMMG Resolute RDB rifle that takes Glock mags be used on a standard AR lower with converted PMAGs? It wasn't clear to me whether anything about the upper (bolt, etc.) is specific to the mag type.
    An RDB upper is an RDB upper; there's only one type.

User Tag List