Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Substituting Small Rifle Primers for Small Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I differ my loading procedures in only one way: large rifle primers are just a bit taller than their pistol counterparts. As such, I take a few seconds to clean the carbon out of the primer pocket before seating, in order to make sure I get a proper seating depth. Other than that, there's no need to get wrapped around the axle about it.
    Well, learning has occurred. I had read that large rifle primers were too tall for pistol brass but never tried them. After reading this I primed six new Starline .44 Magnum brass with six Winchester large rifle primers. Lo and behold! They fit just flush with the base of the cartridge and I test fired one each in my .44 Ruger #1 and my Ruger Super Blackhawk without issue. Since a lot of my .44 ammo will be shot thru the #1 and my 1894 Marlin this will work nicely even if the revolvers would balk at ignition.

When the component drought got real I discovered that the only thing I was low on was LPP and you sir have just relieved my tension. Thank you.

Alliant Unique used to have a warning against using magnum primers due to pressure excursions. Have you seen any issues with that powder and rifle primers in pistols? FWIW I’ve shot a lot of Unique fueled .45/70 ammo in rifles without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Well, learning has occurred. I had read that large rifle primers were too tall for pistol brass but never tried them. After reading this I primed six new Starline .44 Magnum brass with six Winchester large rifle primers. Lo and behold! They fit just flush with the base of the cartridge and I test fired one each in my .44 Ruger #1 and my Ruger Super Blackhawk without issue. Since a lot of my .44 ammo will be shot thru the #1 and my 1894 Marlin this will work nicely even if the revolvers would balk at ignition.

When the component drought got real I discovered that the only thing I was low on was LPP and you sir have just relieved my tension. Thank you.

Alliant Unique used to have a warning against using magnum primers due to pressure excursions. Have you seen any issues with that powder and rifle primers in pistols? FWIW I’ve shot a lot of Unique fueled .45/70 ammo in rifles without any problems.
    When the latest buying/hoarding crisis first appeared on the horizon, I increased my component buying in an attempt to lay in as much as i could. That worked pretty well. Then, i was sitting at my reloading table and glanced at the shelf. I then realized i had over 3k rifle primers sitting on the shelf. The day got a little brighter.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I'm just pissed because yesterday I had 5000 CCI #400 SRPs in my Brownells cart for normal price ($230) and my fucking internet crashed before I could finish checking out and they were gone by the time my internet came back.

Ugh.

I still haven't gotten around to shooting the rounds I loaded up with the small pistol primers in .223. However, an interesting video came out on the subject of using SPP in rifles.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I still haven't gotten around to shooting the rounds I loaded up with the small pistol primers in .223. However, an interesting video came out on the subject of using SPP in rifles.

Thanks for this, it's brought something important to mind.

I was referencing using rifle primers in pistol cartridges. I would not recommend the opposite practice. When you're dealing with pressures magnitudes higher than those found in pistol cartridges, stick to the program.

Starting to have some problem with some of the Wolf primers. Have been cruising right along, gaining enough confidence that I didn't bother to swap them out prior to our little local monthly three gun match, probably jinxed it...

Was having a good day and running a good stage that included, in order to re-holster a clear pistol, a shot at a "high value" target, where you drop the mag before your last shot at a row of plates. I was zipping right along ping-ping-ping-ping-click... This was the next to last stage and the next one was worse. I think I might have some Tula (that worked fine) in with the Wolf, and the Wolf just isn't working in the striker gun.

I am not a logbook kind of guy, but this made me go back and do some math and figure out that this pistol (5" M&P 2.0) has at least 7k, but more likely 10k through it, with no spring maintenance. So I swapped in a new striker assembly and recoil spring assembly, but got the same result.

This is not that specific cartridge, but another example of one that DID go off:
    Name:  Wolf SRP.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  32.0 KB

Anyway, not an issue with SRP substitution, but using the hardest of the hard is not working out for me. Looks like I might have a few hundred rounds that need to run through the 1911. Yesterday I tested the rounds I was having trouble with through a friend's Wilson pistol, and the last round in the mag required a second strike. Or maybe it might be an excuse to buy the Beretta 92 I keep telling myself I want an example of!

Site Supporter
    FWIW, I loaded some .40 S&W with Federal 205s to try them in my M&P40 1.0 and while they all went off, the primer indents looked about the same as yours. Not exactly confidence-inspiring. Worst case, I have a pair of CZ-75Bs with extended firing pins that'll probably light off military small rifle primers.

I will caveat my earlier comments by saying that I've never done this with striker fired guns. My experience with primer swapping has all been with hammer fired pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    FWIW, I loaded some .40 S&W with Federal 205s to try them in my M&P40 1.0 and while they all went off, the primer indents looked about the same as yours. Not exactly confidence-inspiring.
    I will caveat my earlier comments by saying that I've never done this with striker fired guns.
    I did enough "testing", in M&Ps and Glocks, before loading these in some quantity, that I was confident. Now I am wondering if there might be some variation in these older Wolf primers that might bite me in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Worst case, I have a pair of CZ-75Bs with extended firing pins that'll probably light off military small rifle primers.
    My experience with primer swapping has all been with hammer fired pistols.
    Yeah, not super worried, I have a couple of 9mm 1911s, and I could play with a jacked up main spring if they don't work. And after all, I do have a AR that damn well better set them off.

Or I could finally get a CZ or Beretta or Sig DA/SA like I have always sorta wanted that could easily double strike them, seems like all problems can be solved at the gun store...

Site Supporter
    I finally got around to trying the Federal 205s in 9x19. They're a smidge wider than the WSPs I've been using, and I had two that didn't quite fit in the primer pocket, one was PPU headstamp and the other was S&B. I'm guessing that it was just the primers being on the large end of specs and the brass being on the small end.

I ran 48 rounds through the P99C and 50 through the PX4. All fired on the first try though the firing pin indent was less than with pistol primers. Since this will be practice ammo, that's good enough. I'm going to keep the 550 set up for 9x19 and keep loading until I run out of bullets, I've got about 2500 124-grain FMJs and 1500 coated LRNs.

User Tag List