Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Substituting Small Rifle Primers for Small Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    If I may ask what was the issue you had with the Wolf primers? I quit reloading for rifle several years ago and find myself with about 8k Wolf small rifle magnum primers that this thread was getting me exited about potentially repurposing for some 9mm.
    Light strikes. It's probably not a issue with their stranded rifle primers.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    According to the CCI website they have 3 different small rifle primers. BR4, 400 and 450. 450 being the mag small rifle primer. My understanding of this is BR4 is harder to prevent slam fires in AR's being the only difference between those and the #400 regular small rifle primer. I don't have any experience with #450 primers. I don't know what a magnum small rifle cartridge is, maybe 222 Rem Mag or something like that. I use BR4 to load 30 carbine. It has a floating firing pin like an AR. So does my Ruger Mini. I think Rem 71/2 is also a mag small rifle primer. Vaglocker, I think I read someplace that mag primers use a different compound so I would be careful with those.
    The BR4 is CCI's bench rest match primers. Their AR primer is the CCI 41.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    The BR4 is CCI's bench rest match primers.
    That's what the label says. I used them for F class and they did fine in a rifle.
    But that does not say what it IS as far as cup thickness, amount of mix, anvil location. Is it physically a small rifle primer or a small rifle magnum primer? Probably not a small rifle military (41) primer.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

The BR4 is CCI's bench rest match primers. Their AR primer is the CCI 41.
    I didn't know that, thanks for the correction. I have a bunch of 450's and have no idea when or why I bought those. I suppose they'll work in a pinch for regular 400 primers. I usually load for mid range velocity. I'm hoping I won't have to use those.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I just posted a test on using small rifle primers in the 9mm.

https://general-cartridge.com/2021/0...rs-in-the-9mm/

Site Supporter
    Atlas Gunworks posted a video on SPP comparisons with Rifle, Small Pistol, and Magnum, results were no negligible difference:

https://youtu.be/jWqDVmJMZfo

I just posted a test on using small rifle primers in the 9mm.

https://general-cartridge.com/2021/0...rs-in-the-9mm/
    Good job on that.
    #RESIST

Ive got 2k wolf magnum srp i need to test out

In another forum, people are asking about using small pistol primers in rifles. I guess I'll try that next.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Ive got 2k wolf magnum srp i need to test out
    Let us know how that goes. I have 5k in the locker.

User Tag List