Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Substituting Small Rifle Primers for Small Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I differ my loading procedures in only one way: large rifle primers are just a bit taller than their pistol counterparts. As such, I take a few seconds to clean the carbon out of the primer pocket before seating, in order to make sure I get a proper seating depth. Other than that, there's no need to get wrapped around the axle about it.
    Well, learning has occurred. I had read that large rifle primers were too tall for pistol brass but never tried them. After reading this I primed six new Starline .44 Magnum brass with six Winchester large rifle primers. Lo and behold! They fit just flush with the base of the cartridge and I test fired one each in my .44 Ruger #1 and my Ruger Super Blackhawk without issue. Since a lot of my .44 ammo will be shot thru the #1 and my 1894 Marlin this will work nicely even if the revolvers would balk at ignition.

When the component drought got real I discovered that the only thing I was low on was LPP and you sir have just relieved my tension. Thank you.

Alliant Unique used to have a warning against using magnum primers due to pressure excursions. Have you seen any issues with that powder and rifle primers in pistols? FWIW Iíve shot a lot of Unique fueled .45/70 ammo in rifles without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Well, learning has occurred. I had read that large rifle primers were too tall for pistol brass but never tried them. After reading this I primed six new Starline .44 Magnum brass with six Winchester large rifle primers. Lo and behold! They fit just flush with the base of the cartridge and I test fired one each in my .44 Ruger #1 and my Ruger Super Blackhawk without issue. Since a lot of my .44 ammo will be shot thru the #1 and my 1894 Marlin this will work nicely even if the revolvers would balk at ignition.

When the component drought got real I discovered that the only thing I was low on was LPP and you sir have just relieved my tension. Thank you.

Alliant Unique used to have a warning against using magnum primers due to pressure excursions. Have you seen any issues with that powder and rifle primers in pistols? FWIW Iíve shot a lot of Unique fueled .45/70 ammo in rifles without any problems.
    When the latest buying/hoarding crisis first appeared on the horizon, I increased my component buying in an attempt to lay in as much as i could. That worked pretty well. Then, i was sitting at my reloading table and glanced at the shelf. I then realized i had over 3k rifle primers sitting on the shelf. The day got a little brighter.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be hear again.......

Illinexit in T-Minus 43 RevolverRob's Avatar
    I'm just pissed because yesterday I had 5000 CCI #400 SRPs in my Brownells cart for normal price ($230) and my fucking internet crashed before I could finish checking out and they were gone by the time my internet came back.

Ugh.
    Seriously guys, are we not doing 'phrasing' anymore?

I still haven't gotten around to shooting the rounds I loaded up with the small pistol primers in .223. However, an interesting video came out on the subject of using SPP in rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I still haven't gotten around to shooting the rounds I loaded up with the small pistol primers in .223. However, an interesting video came out on the subject of using SPP in rifles.

Thanks for this, it's brought something important to mind.

I was referencing using rifle primers in pistol cartridges. I would not recommend the opposite practice. When you're dealing with pressures magnitudes higher than those found in pistol cartridges, stick to the program.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be hear again.......

User Tag List